Sunday, September 22, 2019

Mums

Because of lack of sleep for several nights, I slept Sunday after church for way too many hours. My body hurt like I had been beat when I finally did awake. It was worse than normal. I was extra tired.

Another victory--threw away a light. I thought it was a hand mixer, so I asked rather than picking it up. I told him that adapting it to LED would cost as much as a new flashlight. He said he had been meaning to throw it away for years. So, a few minutes later, I gathered up things in need of bagging and tossing and took it to the garbage and dropped it in. WOW! WIN for both of us.

Before I came to bed, I sprinkled borax around his stovetop. I told him to stay out of it, just so he would know. He said "Okay." Good sign. I brought two sprays, but I think this will work without polluting the air with poison.

I hate the sound machine. The white noise is too grating, not smooth. The little light that shows it is plugged in shines up through the lamp shade and onto the ceiling, making a huge light shape like a spaceship. I will order the kind I had before and return this one. Around 3 am, I switched it to "rain" sound. I was so sleepy, I went to sleep after an hour of that.

He reacted badly to my suggestion that I put my wire chicken in his yard. A week later, I took it out while he was out there and said it was taking up too much room. I put it on the ground. Another day while he was watching or present, I hoisted it onto his porch. Another day, I pushed it further onto his porch. Today, I bought a mum for less that $5 while we were out. When I put it in the chicken, I asked him how it looked. "Nice." The chicken is almost three feet long, maybe two feet, made of heavy wire and is a rusted white. His yard and porch is the most bare in the neighborhood. I lost all my Halloween decorations. Even though I had few, they were mine.

I think it has been a month since we have had rain and the humidity is low, so I will water the mums twice a day. We are still in the 90s!

Do you decorate at Halloween? How much?

Gotta go. Sleepy.

4 comments:

  1. It has been years and years since I read, saw, or thought about the word Borax. I remember Ronald Reagan advertising 20-mule-team Borax on the Death Valley Days television program.

    We do not decorate for Halloween although Mrs. RWP does like to have a wreath with fall colors or some autumns a few Indian corn cobs around. I have no idea why. For the last two years we have not even decorated for Christmas. The kids do not come to our house any more (it is too small for the whole gang at one time), we go to theirs instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rwp,
      I use 20-mule-team borax in the laundry so I see it every day.
      I don't decorate much for Halloween, but I do have things I have had for years. I think I will get or make a wreath for his door. I have my newly-made hypertufa pot that I am going to get a pumpkin to sit on it. The first year in my house, I put Indian corn on the door. I stored it in the basement. Next year, the corn was eaten by squirrels. I never saw a squirrel there in almost 50 years, but I never stored anything down there that would attract them. I suppose your celebrations and hosting Christmas have moved down to the next generation as it should.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure the potted mums in the wire chicken makes a nice decoration for the porch. I used to decorate for Halloween a lot more than I do, now. I don't mind decorating; it's the taking things down and putting away, afterwards, that I dislike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless,
      When my kids were little, only their pumpkin was out front. People smashed them in the streets. Later, I put out more and they were safe. So true, taking it down and putting it away is agony.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...