Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Tuesday Sewing Again--A Bra

Since I had not touched my sewing machine due to its inaccessibility, I was thrilled to sew again today. But, I did not get to sew on my machine. It is in the back of Tommy's car, and neither of us can lift it out and get it into the cabinet.

I will tell you about the rest of Tuesday tomorrow. This post is about sewing.

Last week, I asked the owner of the sewing shop if he would sew something for me. He said, "No, his wife would do that." I explained I cold not return to pick up from my present location. I told him Tommy would come in with me so the experience would not be so weird. I wanted him to make me a bra. I told him I had lost mine in the recent catastrophe, that I wore a loose one to cut down on the jiggle effect but now they were flat and needed a lift, too. He said he understood. He also told me I did not have to worry because he would never do anything. I assured him I had no fear, just wanted to make the experience less weird.

Today, I went in with my tank top and Tommy. I even needed to use his scissors to cut of the tank top. He threaded a serger in red thread. I did what I needed to do. He then threaded a sewing machine so I could hem the now very short tank top. I sewed the elastic in as I made the casing. When I got home, it fit perfectly! Things are lifted and no longer flat. So, I am happy. If anyone wants the particulars, I will write about that another day.

Bras are sooo expensive. I tried to buy one last week, but nothing fit. This fits just enough. And, I believe the tank top with spaghetti straps was on sale for $1
on clearance. WIN! This is red, so I need to find black and white tops, too.

I am annoyed my commercial serger was destroyed. I am also determined to start sewing again. That will involve convincing Tommy to allow more bulbs in the house...lol.

Hve you ever made a bra? By a pattern?

6 comments:

  1. You could make a decent bit of money just hemming pants for people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, Do you hem by hand or machine? I can bind stitch by machine that looks as perfect as hand stitching.

      Once, a friend who is the epitome of class, wealthy and from founding family of our town, and her last name is all over buildings and such in town gave me three of pants to hem. She had them pinned, so just dropped them off. I was horrified when I finished the last pair, picked up scraps and realized the last pair had a cuff that I cut off. She looked at it after I told her I could still make a cuff. She shrugged her shoulders and said it looked okay. That is my one cuff story.

      I gave up sewing for money when I started back to school. I was not above sewing, but people interrupted my sleep, sewing, and need to leave right now for school.

      A friend approached me at a church lunch and confided that her bra hurt her so that she hated wearing one. I suppose she noticed how flat I was. When I see her next and am wearing my "bra," she may commission a few of these for herself.

      In my town I could easily have immediate customers. Anywhere else, I would have to start from scratch. Since I love to sew and it relaxes me, I need to get some work to do.

      Delete
  2. Yes I have done the same, but not for myself but daughter 3 that wears a 44 DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tank top works for that cup size? I don't have much to hold up. But, isn't it such a cheaper and more comfortable?

      Delete
  3. There ya go - a way to make some extra money. $$$ Hemming pants. There's always a way to make extra money, I've always said. I personally do Ebaying.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...