Monday, September 9, 2019

Fan? Naps

Tommy has a fan he calls "ceiling fan." it is in the ceiling, above the ceiling. I flipped a switch that looked like a light switch and the thing roared to life, frightening me so I screamed and ran away, well as much as I can run. You would be surprised how fast you can run when you fear for your life. Of course, I "ran" for about three steps. I have no idea what this thing is called. Do you?

He told me to stop turning on the switch. I had only done it once. But, he took packing tape and taped it where I cannot do it again. He used a piece of tape about 8 inches long, extending tape onto the wall. Then, he put a piece crosswise. I certainly am not going to try to remove it to start the fan again. Overkill with tape!

Last night, I could not get more than two hours of sleep. I had told Tommy to wake me at 8 am and change the tv channel to what I liked to watch in the morning. He did change the channel and put the volume up around 60 from his preferred 20. So, I could not go back to sleep as I wanted. I needed to make calls today and to wash clothes. I ate a banana and milk and sat here, trying to become conscious. When he arrived around 11:30, I offered to let him make a pb sandwich...lol. After I ate, I went back to bed and slept most of the afternoon. Even now at almost 6 pm. I feel drugged. The only change to meds are adding the levothyroxine.

I am having to use Tommy's needles for injections. They hurt going in, unlike mine. I am also bruising for the first time ever since giving myself these injections. Plus, I itch at the injection site...for days.

Chicken is in the oven and a salad is waiting to be made.

The guy who mows Tommy's grass was at it again today just as I decided to nap. Thankfully, he mowed that part of the yard before I got in the bed. The guy mows the yards of three people around here. Nice guy. He is the one who put up a ramp after noticing Tommy had trouble getting up his front steps. And, he works full time.

On the news was a report that napping at least three times a week reduced the incidence of strokes and heart attacks. Okay, got that covered. More naps each week does not increase the benefits. I often do not nap, then I nap for a few days. I have no idea the rhyme or reason of my urges to nap or my lack of them. Sometimes, I lie down and get drowsy. Today, I was sitting up and falling asleep, dying for a nap. Do you nap?

My best memories of naps involved fans. When we went to Memphis in the summer, we would visit the relatives where my grandmother lived in her own little house. I would be taken out there to nap on her bed with her fan oscillating to cool me. Her house was basically one room, with a short partition to separate bedroom from kitchen. But, sleeping in the heat in a tiny house leaves a feeling not easily described. The sound of the fan helped put me to sleep. Do you have napping memories from childhood?


10 comments:

  1. I hope you adjust to your new medications after awhile. Is it possible to get some different needles? It sounds like the ones you are using do not agree with you. My maternal grandmother told me that afternoon naps weren't good, that they "burned" your blood! After that, I refused to nap in the afternoon for the rest of my childhood. I'm sure my mother wasn't very happy with her mother for saying that to me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pharmacist is not trying to get my needles because a sub pharmacist got me some things destroyed. He sounds so petulant. I am using Tommy's/

      I sure would not be happy if my mother told m child that/ I wonder what "burning" your blood is? I am glad you adopted naps.

      Delete
  2. We had one of those thingies when we lived in Marietta. I have heard them called both "whole house fans" and "attic fans" but definitely not a "ceiling fan," that's something else.

    My daughter used to be near you. Lived in Morris for years and taught school in Warrior and Gardendale. Now she lives in Alexander City, down near Auburn.

    I am so sorry for your situation and the calamity that caused it. You made a comment on kylie's blog that brought me over to yours and I read about the whole ongoing mess in reverse chronological order, which is an interesting way to do it (that is, I started with the newest post and then went to older one, then the next older one, and so forth, as I didn't know when the collapse occurred until I got back to August 15th).

    Enough about me and my reading habits. I do hope you are slowly getting back to normal and that Tommy doesn't drive you crazy. He would me.

    I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read blogs in reverse order--bizarre.

      Today I went up and then down 1-65, passing by all those places. Tommy graduated from Auburn. I took three courses there beyond my MA.

      T told him it was NOT s ceiling fan! But. some days he would argue than learn111

      Yep, drives me nuts!

      I have read your blog occasionally and commented sometimes. Really, I am somewhat in disbelief and shock. But, I will survive. I hope.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Is the fan an attic fan with louvers that open when turned on? I had one in a house and it was great to drag out the stuffy air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      Yes, same kind. I am supposed to leave it alone. Suits me.

      Delete
  4. it's an attic fan. They are in the ceiling so I understand why he calls it that. It sucks all the hot air the rises up out through the roof...BUT if the vent in the roof isn't there or closed it can cause problems in turned on. THEY ARE LOUD ... we called ours the airplane because of the sound.

    I nap... sometimes on purpose and sometimes when I just fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing him, Chef, he probably closed it. I can see the airplane comparison. I nap when it overtakes me. And, sometimes I go in search of one...lol

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...