Thursday, November 14, 2019

Good Day Moneywise

When I went to bed, I was warm last night. The problem of cold feet was solved by another blanket only over from knees down. Still, at 3 am with warm feet, I was still awake and had to take something for sleep.

As usual with me lately. I stressed over what to wear and if it was warm enough. I put on a cheap pair of knit bought on sale, and they did not fit me any longer. I had to roll over the wide waistband so they would fit. The waist was still loose. The expensive tshirt-type blouse bought cheaply was also too large. The black cardigan sweater fit fine. The outfit looked fine, but was not what I would have chosen. I even got compliments.

I went to my doctor's office to weigh. I had lost another three pounds. I am thrilled. I don't know what I am doing right. But, I am going to keep doing it. I need scales because I am the person who does better weighing every day. I feel like I can keep and eye on whether I am doing okay and tweek my habits each day.

Today, we went to Cullman. I went to two food banks and have enough meat to last two weeks. I even got a four-pound chicken. This may be our Thanksgiving bird. I was hoping for at least a can of cranberry sauce! It was not to be.

We went to Publix and got our flu vaccination. In return for using Publix pharmacy, we each received a $10 gift card. Tommy handed his to me and went to sit in the car while I spent it. I am waiting for sales on some things, but I did manage to spend the $20 on the gift cards for groceries and another $17. So, $57 worth of groceries cost me $17. 5:30--my arm is killing me! Almost everything was reduced. Only the bananas and Jello were bought full price. I think strawberry Jello will sell out quicker than other flavors. I will mix that with black cherry like mama did and put apples, bananas, and fruit cocktail in the Jello for a taste of my childhood. YUM

When I picked up the mail, I found out a package sent me had been sent back. Plus, there was a package waiting for me. The reader who sent me the gloves and earmuffs sent me another package. It had a crocheted watermelon potholder, a Tbsp and a tsp measure and a spatula. Plus, my favorite kind of potholder. It was woven on a little loom with stretchy loops. I had one on my loom ready to finish off. Now, I have no loom or potholder! I think she made these. I feel honored. Thank you so much.

At the Farmer's Market I purchased 8 good sized tomatoes for $6. I asked to trade a red tomato for a green one. Tommy loves fried green tomatoes. I don't, so one fried will work for him. I don't yet have any cornmeal, but at the food bank where I can choose the foods I get, I chose a Jiffy corn muffin mix. Taking a bit out for coating the tomato slice won't hurt. I hate Jiffy corn muffin mix, but I have plans for it. There is a recipe that used Jiffy, cheese, and broccoli. It might use an egg. I had it written down, but I can find it online. I have cheese and may have frozen broccoli.

The temperature was about 46 today, at least that, so it was pleasant and hard to adjust ac and heat. Still, I can wear sandals without getting too cool. We were hoping to beat the rain, and almost did get home before it came. We were still in sprinkle mode when we arrived home. So, it turned out well.

At the free paper office that has ads and community happenings, I now know about grocery store sales and community events.

I went by the sewing place and ordered Gingher scissors. They will never be used for anything but fabric and thread. I had to pay for them first. sigh.

Can you believe it? The Senior Christmas Party that is held at the Civic Center is not happening! They had entertainment, door prizes (one is $500 check). Tommy won a gift certificate for two meals at Cracker Barrel. Of course, I got part of that prize. There was lots of singing. The Desperation Church bought the Civic Center.

I went to my house today. It made me feel good to be there and sad, too. I asked the neighbor if I could leave some garbage by his garbage can since the city no longer picks up trash at my house. He smiled and said, "No, I don't want to get involved." Asshole! His landlord hates me so he does not want to tick her off.

Tonight, we are having roast and potatoes for one. When I asked Tommy if it would be enough for two people, he assured me it would work. Plus, I have one of the tiny salads meant for one. We will half that, too. Both came from one food bank. Good enough for dinner tonight.

While on the way home, he agreed no one would want the cpap, so I suppose that goes in the trash...yay. He saw what I bought, Lysol and Endust, knowing I was going to use it in his house and said nothing. Progress! Tomorrow, I am going to Lowe's and get the stuff to keep the wind out of house by fixing the doors. Yeah, I know I am pushing it. But, I can feel a breeze.

Fr breakfast, I had no cereal or banana. Plus, I could not eat for an hour after a pill. So, Tommy got us a Hardee's biscuit which I ate with oj I brought from home. He had coffee. For lunch we used a BK coupon for two Whopper Jr.'s and fries. I only had cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. He ordered a drink for both of us. We both left off the mayonnaise. For dinner we ate from food bank food--grilled sirloin steak Au Jus, creamed spinach and roasted potatoes. We threw out the spinach. My chickens would have loved the spinach. The salad was vegetarian--bed of baby lettuces, greens, candied walnuts, dried cranberries, feta cheese ,flat bread chips, all natural raspberry vinaigrette. I got all the feta cheese, and he got flatbread chips. Sharing these two smallish premade items was enough for both of us. Yes, we spent money--almost $9. But, we ended up with free food at the end of the day.

When we ordered the Whopper Jrs, he had to order the Cokes twice, neither of which times the person added in the cost. Then, when we paid for it, still the drinks were not added even though he mentioned the price was wrong. When he paid, still the drinks were tallied. Finally, I poked him and we left. I have no idea how much money was lost by BK that day, but he order the drinks four times. We sat under the picnic tree and ate. It was so overcast, we did not need shade. About half the sky was cloudless, but the clouds settle around us as we headed to Birmingham.

It was a good day. I suppose I am easily content. We got lots done today. I accomplished a list today. I make a list and do the important stuff first. Sometimes, I am too tired to do the rest. So, it goes on the next list.

10 comments:

  1. What kind of church is 'Desperation' Church? Unusual name. It's too bad the Christmas Party will not happen tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      It is an unusual church, too. They do not have any outlandish beliefs. They concentrate on bringing in youth. I have heard some bizarre things that I either will not repeat or have forgotten. I highly dislike the name and the implications.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good day. Sound like you got a lot accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lis,
      That good day was followed today with complete exhaustion. But, it is worth it to get so much accomplished. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. You did very well in getting things done. We have family that attends Desperation church... it named for those that are desperate for GOD. Firmly believe in GOD, Holy Ghost and second coming of Jesus. They work with addicts a lot also.

    I sleep with a fleece blanket folded in half like a bag in bed at my feet. If my feet are cold I can't sleep even though the rest of me might be burning up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks, i tried hard. Yes, thanks for explaining. The name turns me off. I know people who attended that church and left.

      Believe it or not, i do the exact same thing with a fleece blanket in my bed. I had plenty of blankets on and was very warm, but it took the fleece blanket to get my feet warm enough for me to sleep. Okay, great minds and all that.

      Delete
  4. I have to giggle when I read that you ask Tommy something and he says no so you just wait and ask later or if he says yes (like throwing something away) you do it right away. Isn't it just like a man to always want to be right or do it their way. I think he is coming around to your way of thinking day by day. You are helping him and he may have had objections to that but he seems to be accepting a lot more now. And it is all stuff that should help him and his health too. You are a good friend to him even if he can be a bit grumpy at times. You take care and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I chuckle inside when he does that. I think I am a good friend, too. Yes, he has to be in charge and be right. He is content to let me be in charge of food and dirty dishes...lol.

      Delete
  5. Ladies, ladies, how about putting on a pair of socks ?
    I, too, can not sleep with cold feet, so I wear socks to bed about four months out of the year. Not regular snug socks, but the kind you see in bright colors being sold at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I do not have any kind of sock! I keep forgetting to get any. Those bright fuzzy socks make my feet sweaty and then they are cold again.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...