Monday, December 2, 2019

Christmas Decorating

This morning Tommy pulled out the branches on the tiny 3' tree and took a table from a corner and put it up and dug out the extension cord and plugged it up. That was sweet, but some branches are still up against the trunk. I told him to fix it, but so far, he has not. It is weird looking, but I bought 20 ornaments even though it needs more. He WILL fix those branches. I was not going to spend almost $4 for a topper. Maybe the Dollar Tree will have one. Otherwise, I will make one of cardboard and cover it with foil. Icicles will fix the lack of ornaments. The tree is sort of in a corner, so the back does not have to be completely decorated. Well, the only thing on the back is lights. I was surprised I bought one with lights. But, thinking back, my 3' pink tree had lights, too.

I found socks for bed! I don't have shoes yet and these will not fit in my sandals. At least I won't be kept awake by cold feet. They are Hanes Men's Big and Tall, size 12-14. No, my feet are not that large. I cannot stand tight socks at all.

Groceries today: Romaine, halos, bananas, tea, salad dressing mix, one dill relish and one sweet relish--Mt Olive 8 fl. ozs. These will last me a year since I do not use much at all in my tuna.

I also got a round Christmas tablecloth--red, white, and green check. I had these at home, but all are in the dump. Tommy had told me that I could not decorate. After I put the tablecloth on the table, I needed him to help me find something in the freezer since it is dark inside plus there might be an avalanche. As we went into the dining room, I said to him, "Doesn't it look festive?" He agreed in tone like he liked the look.


My outdoor decorating consists of a can of red paint. I have a cast iron pot given to me by my mother. After a few years black paint faded, showing white paint. ??? But, it is cast iron. I decided I would spray paint it red and fill it with bought of evergreen. I am going to do other things to it, but that is the start.

My wire chicken fell over in a strong wind and spilled pumpkins and flowers. They pumpkins will go on the curb. Maybe someone will want them for their animals. Do you think my wire rooster would look weird painted red? I do. But, Tommy thought it would look okay. I think it needs to be white.

Inside, the kitchen tablecloth and the little Christmas tree are the only decorations that I am planning. But, I could get carried away...lol.

The Amaryllis in the kitchen window is slowly recovering. Hopefully, I will have a Apple Blossom Amaryllis by Christmas. Apple Blossom is white and pink. They usually have six blossoms on each stem.

Tommy is generously sharing his Andes with me. He is welcome to my PEZ. I have not bought Christmas candies yet, because I am a pig out of control. I still have not found Cella chocolate cherries yet. I hope they are not discontinued.

I addressed three Christmas cards and need to find the Scotch tape I bought so I can seal them securely.



12 comments:

  1. So far we have not decorated at all. Last year our only decoration was the Nativity Set bought at Montgomery Ward in 1965. It was on the credenza in the foyer. Nobody comes to our house any more; we go to theirs. At our peak we had an 8-ft artificial pre-lit tree in the great room, a 3-ft pre-lit tree with exclusively wooden old-timey ornaments and small balls in the foyer, and another 3-ft pre-lit tree in the bay window facing the street in the front guest bedroom that nobody uses unless our daughter comes over from Alabama. The theme on the big tree was angels and we have every sort imaginable in boxes in the garage that haven't been used now in two or three years. We still put a fancy wreath on the front door but we don't haul out the other two 3-ft pre-lit trees that sat on either side of the front door. We simply don't have the energy or inclination to decorate much any more.

    Think either "Time marches on" or "Lo, how the mighty have fallen"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Let's put it this way... I have more inclination than energy! Your decorations sound nice. But, at least you have decorated places to visit. I like to see the lights on the tree.

      Delete
  2. We have a small prelit 3 foot tree with mainly Dollar Tree bulbs on it this year. Also have Dollar Tree décor on a few walls. I wanted some new things and it was easier than digging out old boxes plus I really like the new look I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Good for you. Dollar Tree is good for lots of things. Yes, i agree it is easier than digging things out, especially since mine are in an archaeological dig.

      Delete
  3. I love that pig out of control. I am right there with you sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Those Cella chocolate cherries are irresistible.

      Delete
  4. My Christmas candy I pig out on is Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I am not a peppermint person, but like other chocolate bark.

      Delete
  5. Hubby has the outside done but I am very slow at the end side. I did get the table cloth and cloth napkins done on Sunday for the Advent wreath. Today the LED C7 Christmas light bulbs came in so I got the candelabras now on. Our goal is to be done decorating by Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I am slowly breaking the news of outside decorating, and he is not resisting or making mean remarks. I need to make napkins!

      Delete
  6. PS... I saw those Cherries at Walmart and Amazon

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...