Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Free Lunch, Games, Lot Cleanup

Today was the lunch at the pretty church. We got there ahead of the appointed hour and there were lots of people there. All the tables were decorated by separate people. This year, their were no table with over-the-top decorations. Those were beautiful last year as were the ones this year.

A woman played her guitar and we all sang Christmas songs. It was fun since she was good at leading singing.

We first had a little worksheet to figure out as we sat and waited. There were pictures representing Christmas songs.

Then, we played Bingo. We won nothing. However, after we used the same card for three wins, we were told to clear the card. I did by dumping the lima beans. Then, they continued for four more wins. I complained that she told us to clear out card. They gave me a consolation prize, sort of mocking me. But, it was not too bad. I don't mind 50 people laughing and me and being called disgruntled...lol. The woman was nice and said things like to everyone. I got a little Christmas note pad and pen in a cover that closed with a magnet.

Afterwards, two door prizes were drawn. One was a birdhouse. We cannot think of the other prize.

The lunch was a buffet that was not in the kitchen, just finger foods: chicken salad, another with nuts in it, a huge cheese log, ten kinds of crackers, giant crudité tray and dip, sausage ball, chicken fingers, meat balls in bbq sauce, pigs in a blanket, grapes, blueberries, fresh pineapple chunks, sandwich strips of some sort, salsa and chips, best chocolate chip cookies ever. I only ate one!

I had business inside my bank, and another two offices, went to a food bank, and Belk's.

I did not get much at the food bank, but it was a bonus to be there on the right day and the last of 37 people who were left to be served before me. I never wait, I just sign up and go somewhere. I got ground pork, a huge Black Forest ham on a bun with dressing and green something, Pepperidge Farm oat bread, jelly, new potatoes, six donuts (could have had a chocolate cake), cream cheese with chives, peanut butter, canned tomatoes, Weight Watcher's Pecan crowns. At the end, someone told me to get anything I wanted from a huge box on the floor. I could not reach that far and dig. They pointed out candles but I told them "no candles." Someone said there was a wooden trivet, so I got that. This plastic table cloth will not hand warmish food.

I had a $15 off coupon at Belk's if I spent $75. This was even on clearance items. Kim Rogers clothes were buy one, get two free. I was too tired to care. But, the Kim Rogers I buy is always nice unless it is acrylic. So, if you bought $75 worth at this bargain, it would be $60! I didn't. I bought blue flannel sheets, red hair dryer, and a white bracelet. All were reduced.

We were exhausted. But, a friend with a truck came to my lot and picked up garbage left by someone in the city! It was right on the corner and not dumped by the public because it was there when we left. My friend picked all this up, brought things from back of lot (trash) and put it in the gutter. He assured me garbage men would get it. If they don't get it on Thursday, garbage at my neighborhood, he will get it on Friday for me. He put it all in Rubbermaid containers that were ruined, not just loose in the gutter.

I gave him a twelve-foot pipe thing that supported the roof over the basement door. It is not a pipe, really, just a heavy support. There were two water pipes or something that I used for plant supports/stakes, and other things he will take to recycling. I gave him bbq grill with good propane tank, and swing support. The metal swing was stolen! He is going to bring my big swing thing and picnic table and a few more things to me here. He is going to bring the stuff to me and it am giving him the 10'x10'x8' dog pen for his chickens. The lots looks so much better without trash all over. I brought home two small things today. He was thrilled to get the swing for his grandchildren.

On the way home, I had to go to bathroom soooomuch. Tommy brought me home and we both visited the bathroom. We got right back into the Rogue and went to Dollar Tree. I found a star that was meant to go on a small tree. It's all glittery gold and has a coil to go onto the top of the tree. I got a commode brush, two Christmas glasses, Pirouline. Oh, yes. I bought a Christmas pickle for the tree. He has not seen the commode brush and may blow up.

A woman in a hurry asked me to buy a Christmas card for her if she gave me the money. She gave me a dollar bill and a quarter and told me to keep the rest of the quarter. As soon as the cashier rung it up, she held out her hand and nicely demanded it. The cashier looked sort of shocked but when I nodded, she handed it over. I thought I was going to complete the transaction and give it to the woman, but she was in a big hurry. She was very nice and looked stressed.

Socks on my feet last night afforded me a great warm feet sleep.

So, that was Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Observations:

    They say idleness is the devil's workshop so you didn't need to worry about him you were so busy! Somehow you got December confsed with July with those BLUE flannel sheets, RED hair dryer, and a WHITE bracelet! I guess it's because your efforts to save money never FLAG (groan)....

    Your friend with the truck is a real keeper, but it's sad someone couldn't have helped you back in August and September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      At first i was confused aboout the July remark...yes, patriotic all the way.

      This "friend" only came because i told him he could take some of the leftovers in the yard for himself. He wants to kiss me, wants to visit my new house, assumes Tommy only picks me up. I think the guy is married, though he denies it. But, he is going to bring his ex bil, big truck and trailer, and bring my picnic table and swing frame to me in Hueytown. No, i do not encourage his delusions of a relationship. This is Hispanic guy whom i helped with filling out applications online, He is a citizen with DL, SS card and full rights for for forty years. I did as him for help and offered to pay for last six months, so he is on a list of people i resent!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day,You might just get that house clean yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      So ture, And I am so tired from standing in the yard.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...