Sunday, December 1, 2019

Sunday Breakfast

We had a Minister's Appreciation Day last month, so the minister had a `Congregation Appreciation Day today. The minister and his wife bought ingredients and made breakfast for the congregation.
They prepared bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, grits, sausage gravy, pancakes, syrup, butter, cantaloupe, coffee, orange juice, cake, tea and milk.

I took my own milk and ate scrambled eggs, milk, bacon, pancakes, and syrup and butter. And, I did not go back for seconds even though I wanted more...lol. The bacon was crispy and eggs solid without white showing. So, all I got was enjoyable. Tommy had much more and ate the biscuit I put on my plate but did not want.

Then we played Bible trivia with prizes. Tommy won Andes mints, and I won a Pez dispenser with three flavors of Pez. They would not let me answer more since I had won something. So, I whispered the answer to the elderly lady next to me who did not raise her hand for any questions. Who came and asked for the body of Christ? Joseph of Arimathea! She won a box of Tootsie Rolls in lots of colors and flavors. She was very happy as she kept candy for her grandchildren. I was pleased I could help her. One woman won a small Snowman and Tommy said he mainly remembers candy being won. One person won a glass cannister type thing with Hershey's Miniatures.

Since I had only slept 2 hours with something to help me sleep, I came home and was ready for a nap. I only slept three hours this afternoon, so I hope sleep comes easily tonight. Saturday night it was warm outside, so nothing came on. We both got up at the same time to use the bathroom, so I noted I was suffocating. He turned on ac and it is still on at 10 pm.

Tonight, I got out the three foot tree I decided to bring here. Tommy will pull all the branches out since that makes my hands itch and break out. I was thrilled to see I had bought a prelit tree. When one light goes out, the rest stay lit. I need to buy ornaments for it. I bought the artificial Christmas tree several years ago, either 75% off or 90% off, forgot which.

Then, I addressed a few Christmas cards. I have boxes of ancient Christmas cards, most notable Black person on a whole box of cards. I would rather sell these. They are from 50s or 60s. And, there are many Christmas postcards. I suppose stamps are still cheaper for postcards unless things have changed. I bought the stamps a few weeks ago, so there is no crunch to buy them this month.

We ate the last of all the Thanksgiving dinner today except for Tommy's Jello salad. I took out turkey legs to thaw and need to find the chicken breast packages to thaw and then cook turkey legs and breasts in one cooking bag. I need to cook more sweet potatoes so we can eat off those this week.

That was Sunday, very quiet and we spent nothing. This weekend has been beautiful and mild, with temperatures in the low 70s. Okay, Tommy said it only got to 69 today.

8 comments:

  1. That breakfast sounds sooo good and the games sound fun. Bacon is such a treat. While you were enjoying warm weather we have 8 inches of new snow...the heavy wet kind. There is also a lot of flooding on the east side of town. Wind blew the river up and it even is coming thru the sewer drains in places further away. The drains are connected and drain to the river and water is so high it is backing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I was going to write here kept growing and growing, so I have made it a post on my blog instead and invite you to drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann,
    I never make pancakes! So, that was a treat, too! I love bacon but rarely have it either. I love games and I love to win. Where do you live? I never heard of the river coming through drains. Does it come into your house? I need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I copied an explanation of the drainage....."Most of the city's storm sewers drain into the Fox River, East River and Bay of Green Bay. But water levels in recent years have been several feet higher than in the past, and some of those pipes are now fully under water. Submerged outfalls will not allow the storm water to drain properly and result in backups." This quote is from Feb. 2016 and the water levels are far worse now. Record highs. However we are in the country and so have a sump pump. So far so good but if the elec goes out (which it did for awhile today) and our battery back up fails (it didn't...today at least) we are in trouble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      This certainly sounds like a problem that will get worse. I never thought about things like this happening. I lived in Memphis, but I suppose the river never gets into sewage drains. Thanks for the explanation.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...