Saturday, January 25, 2020

First Yard Sale of the Year

Today, Saturday, we went to Cullman. I was antsy to get my mail since I did not go at all last week. Plus, I shopped and went to a food bank.

Tommy woke me at 6:30 like I wanted. I did not sit for thirty minutes, waking up like I usually do. In 26 minutes, I was clean, had fixed my hair, dressed and had milk and banana ready to go. I have to wait an hour after taking first pill. He suggested we stop and get sausage biscuit. I already had oj for the day, and he got Senior coffee.

We first went to the food bank where I can choose from a sheet of paper what I get. There I chose a large package of premade burgers--4 nice size ones. I won't list all I got. I did choose paper towels instead of tp. I could get three breads. Tommy likes bagels. I also got two loaves of bread. There is always Coke and various 2-liter drinks and ice for the drinks plus sweets to enjoy while we wait. I took a slice of Bundt pan cake, light and with a not so sweet topping. It was so good that I took Tommy a piece. He loved it. I could not resist a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting. I always drink water here. There was a bowl of bars; I got a Lara bar, still have it. I ate the cupcake later and dropped most of it, oh well.

I had clothing given to me that did not fit, so I took it with me and donated it. Also, I gave my coupons to a friend who works there who was happy to see coupons I always donate.

We passed a yard sale that I determined to stop at on the way back home. Belk's was the next stop. I went in and struggled the whole time. At the register I reached in the bag to give the skirt to the cashier. What did I find?--some of the things I was donating. Oh no! Did I give the friend the wrong bag? In the car I called her and she checked the contents. It seems I had put the clothes I wanted to donate into two bags! So, I had two used two tiny bags and put the little bit into them. Well, I was relieved. It turned out that the bag I meant to take into Belk's was in the car. I was hurting so that I said I would do it next week when we go back.

In another grocery store, the one where I won the $100 gift certificate for food, I found 8 pounds of russets of potatoes for $2.49. !!! Plus, for $0.99 I found a box of alfredo mac and cheese with bacon. It should be good and good for two meals. I bought a commemorative tin for Moon Pies--$5.99. I use tins for storing things. Inside were 12 single Moon Pies. So, now we have to NOT eat them. I will use this tin to store small packages of mixes that are falling all over the place. I paid for the Moon Pies and the tin was free. Well, that is how I look at it.

I got the mail, went to 278 to get a phone number off a construction sign, stopped in Publix, went into storage unit, and stopped by the lot, finally deciding to go back home. Tommy asked me if I wanted to get a burger before heading South.

As I said "okay," I saw a sign that said "Free Food." He insisted it was not really free, that we had to have our taxes done first. Well, with the Pepsi canteen set up, I doubted it. Finally, I convinced him to leave Burger King drive in and go across the street and check out the free food. We each got two hotdogs and a Diet Pepsi. well, I had to get out and choose all this. The only Pepsi product I like is Mountain Dew, and I sure did not need the sugar or caffeine. So, we saved $3.99+tax by eating free food. I brought home 3 of the foil sandwich wraps so I will not have to use foil for topping things I heat in the oven. We might just have our sandwiches wrapped in these clean pieces of foil.

When I asked the guy what we had to do to get free hotdogs, he said, "Nothing." I persisted and he finally told me they were collecting food and clothes. Well, I gave him the bit of clothing I had that been mistakenly been taken into Belk's. After we ate right there in the parking lot, we pulled around and the guy took a bag of food out of the car that I had not gone through. I only kept Peter pan pb, a very small can of carrots and peas for Tommy, and a huge can of peaches. I was happy because the man lifted the bag, it was out of the car and my house.

We went home the way we came so that I could go to the yard sale. I was surprised that this yard sale happens every day. It was in an open field with a little shed where the people were sitting inside. Nothing was priced. That so annoys me. I will not backtrack when I am hurting, but the woman told me to come show her what I was talking about. My back won't stand it. The mini Keurig was $40! Tommy would not pay that, so I did not ask him. I forgot to purchase new-in-the-package dish towels for $0.50 for two. Oh well.

I found a 12 qt. stainless steel covered stock pot for $2. I brought that pretty baby home. It still has the store sticker on the side, so it has never been used. A little Barkeepers Friend will have it shining. At least this is something that was not put into the dump. I only found aluminum when I looked for a stock pot in stores and wanted stainless steel. The aluminum stock pots are expensive, so I wonder how much this cost. The sturdy loop handles are attached with brads, so it will be safe to pick up. It even had a lid, nice and shiny and not dented.

On the way home, I had the bright idea to go to Sam's Club. Tommy was all for it. We sampled and sampled. After looking for Melatonin and folding lawn chairs, we left. Tommy bought bacon. One of the samples was interesting. Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches with "buns" that were eggs. Sausage was inside the eggs. They were actually good. I am not sure how good-for-you they were.

We just had a Moon Pie. ugh

I forgot--at Publix I bought Dove exfoliating body wash with pomegranate seeds and shea butter...yep, another thing that went to dump.

The day seems to have been non-stop eating. Tonight, dinner will be chicken and salad and Halos.

I have been telling Tommy we will be going to yard sales. I have a pair of sandals in the car for dew and mud.

We left the house at 7:30 am and arrived here at 3 pm. Since I could only sleep 3 hours last night, I am so happy I do not have to cook! I do know that tonight I will eat no junk! Now, I need to go wash my new stockpot.

I deliberately looked for money on the ground when out and about. No Luck!

Have you been to a yard sale yet this year? Do you like them?

13 comments:

  1. Went to 2 yard sales today! First of the year, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lefting,
      Two! Great. I hope they will occur every week.

      Delete
  2. No yard sales here yet. We love to go to yard sales and look forward to them starting back up every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal,
    Hopefully, this one has gotten them started, you know, the first pickle out of the jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard that saying - First pickle out of the jar. Love it.

      Delete
    2. Crystal,
      It is not a saying as such. But, the first pickle out of the jar is difficult to remove. All the rest are easily removed. So, yard sales will come easier from now on.

      Delete
  4. You had a busy day! I love yard sales, and try to stop at most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Until I sat down and wrote about the day, I did not realize how much we actually did do. I cannot stop at them all, but a few years ago, I did.

      Delete
  5. You cannot beat getting free food, that's great. I like the tins that come with food too and have gotten a few of them over the years. It's a bit early here for yard sales, but lucky you on getting to go. I'm jealous. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      All my tins, of course, are gone. This yard sale is going to be permanent, so I may have a place to go every week.

      Delete
  6. I love yard sales but as I need nothing I am not allowing myself to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Since you are clearing out to sell the house, I understand.

      Delete
  7. Oh to have a yard sale and shove out onto the street all the stuff in the house! I would practically give it away, just wanting a quick sale.
    As a consequence I avoid GOING to them unless they are selling Tiki glasses - I would like some of them.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...