Friday, January 24, 2020

Friday

Thursday, I finally put two huge chicken breast with bone and skin along with three boneless, skinless chicken breasts into a bag to bake in the oven. I poured a half cup of water in the bag and sprinkled onion soup mix over the meat. In the end of the pan wrapped in foil I placed new potatoes with butter and some Better Than Bouillon over them. This was delicious. The trouble is that I kept hanging onto the current political show. It was 10:30 before it was done and I served it. Tommy was patient. I did serve him a Romaine and grape tomato salad about 9:30.

At least I will have the meat portion done for tomorrow's dinner. Maybe I will cook in broth the two pounds of carrots I have and give him another salad along with the chicken. Saturday, I will have everything done and will not have to cook Saturday or Sunday.


It may sound braggy when I say something I have cooked was delicious. I can eat chicken without a grain of salt. Same with potatoes. I know how to season, but for myself I often don't. Tommy has the salt and pepper shaker by his chair and salts everything, no matter what seasoning I use when cooking! I NEVER give him unseasoned food.

I know it has only been two days, but Tommy has been himself. The more I paid attention to him, the more I could see his ill moods were when his blood sugar was dropping. I get all whiny and fretful and apologize for my behavior as my blood sugar drops. He attacks. I forgot to get something sugary for his blood sugar drops when we are away from the house.

About ten years ago at my house, I asked him what he wanted when he was going back outside and wanted something to drink. I asked what he wanted, and he said one of my "sugary" Cokes. I was shocked, but he said with the heat and the hard work he was doing in the yard, he would be okay. Before that, I had not one idea how diabetes worked. He had always had water and only drank diet Pepsi, never a Coke.

Friday, I needed a few things, most of which can wait. We ran out to get vinegar and an item greatly reduced at CVS. Then, we drove a few streets here to look for the pink, plastic bags with coupons. The garbage ran today and these were thrown on Monday. So, he said it would be okay. I got one package of coupons from this week with coupons I cut. Obviously, I am wrong about when I got the $5 coupon from a pink bag! grrr
Maybe I can still find it around here where I cut it out and put it in a safe place.

There was no rain today and in 60s, so it was a pleasant day, sunny. Tommy said it was in 50s. So, who knows?





8 comments:

  1. Your getting a lot of meals from cooking the huge chicken pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I try to make one cooking count. Tommy even had a chicken sandwich for lunch knowing we were having chicken for dinner tonight. I figure now this will last through Sunday.

      Delete
  2. It's been difficult finding chicken breasts with skin and bone still in around here. My husband has been doing the big shopping since my knee problems, so maybe they are available by asking the butcher, but my husband doesn't care to do that. Anyway, those big chicken breasts with bone and skin are so good cooked in the oven bags. They seem to come three to a package and are huge, when they do have them. They must come from really big chickens. The last time I made the pack of three, my husband and I had three generous meals from them. First time chicken with baked potatoes, second time cubed in a cheese, broccoli, rice casserole, and third meal of cold chicken sandwiches with potato chips. I love to cook one time and have at least two meals from what I cook, but three meals was a real bonus. For us the trick is having filling extras besides the chicken, like the baked potato, or broccoli rice casserole.

    When chuck roasts are on sale I buy two and roast both of them at the same time, and freeze the second one to have for a different week. There are so many different meals I can make from them.

    It is so wintery, cold, and gray here, I would love a day in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      I can only imagine he cannot find it, that they do exist. When chickens grow so large, they suffer, so sometimes I feel sad to see the breast as large as the ones with skin and bones we just ate. I, too, like to make multiple meals.

      Today was sunny and about 50, but the wind was fierce.

      Delete
  3. Years ago I had a boss who suffered from low blood sugar. I started to recognize it and do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I may have known people who suffered from diabetes and had low blood sugar, but did not know what was happening. ME? I shout it from the rooftops to get relief.

      Delete
  4. I love to cook chicken breasts. They are so easy and you can eat them plain or make them over into something else to eat. When I worked in the hospital years ago we had a young boy who actually lived there because he was such a brittle diabetic. His blood sugar would shoot sky high or plunge so low that he was almost comatose when either thing happened. We would get a quick finger stick and if it was too low he couldn't swallow because he was so out of it we would take a little tube of the gel cake decorating icing and snip the end and put it in the side of his mouth a little at a time until he came around. Too high and the nurses gave shots. It was the weirdest thing. But I guess the cake decorating gel had enough sugar and he never choked on it and it seemed to work pretty fast. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken is the only meat I am not allergic to. However, I do eat a bit of other meat. That is sad about the little boy. I forgot to get any of the gel cake decorating tubes. Thanks for reminding me since I forgot today.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...