Saturday, February 15, 2020

Cookie Fix

We went to Cullman today with a list of things to do. We left at 8am and got everything into Tommy's house by 5 pm.

I needed to go to doctor to try to get meds for diabetes. I thought I was getting a uti, so went to doctor for both.  He refused to help with meds, but diagnosed the uti. So, I will not be so ill and wait and get it diagnosed next week. I always deny I am ill, thinking if  got more rest, I will be okay. Silly me! An injection of antibiotics and a prescription should have me feeling better soon.

We went to two food banks. I do not know everything I got, but 4 lbs of navy beans and two lbs of potatoes were highlights...lol. There are other things. Oh, yes, there was cereal and saltines Tommy will love. I never eat saltines because, I will just eat them for sport, so I never get into them.

I needed a nail brush, so stopped into the neatest and cleanest Dollar General I have ever seen. Now, I will see if I can use the coupon where I buy $25 and get $5 off.

A friend's junk store was on the list of places to go. I found a Styrofoam type pot for $10 her son was selling. NO THANKS!  I did find a huge Corelle white casserole that I can use instead of a large 9x13 glass pan for casseroles. It had a lid and was $2. !!!

Then I stopped at the permanent yard sale on the way back to town. Remember, I got the 12 qt. stainless steel stock pot for $2?

This time, I purchased a concrete pot for plants, the kind with a pedestal for $2. He said $5 and I told him it was $2 last week. So, he gave it to me for $2. Then, I saw the cutest watering can, .45 gallon, green and heavy, good quality it appeared, new merchandise from Target. Forest green is not my cup of tea, but I am going to paint flowers on it. There was another green and an orange one, all for $2 each. Stupidly, I only got one. So, I spent $4 and got the concrete pedestal pot and the watering can.

At both places I spent $6 and got a casserole, pot for plants, and a watering can--$2 each.

I cannot lift and turn my hand with a larger can, so this works well. Plus the watering can had the long, curved, slender "snout" where I can aim where I want and not water the leaves if I don't want to.  I am quite sure I will only put a quart of water in this watering can.

At Publix None Such Mincemeat was $3.49 for 2, and the use by date is 2022. Godiva chcolate pudding mix was on sale for $1.25, a great deal.

Another store had nothing in the sale buggy, so I bought nothing.

Nothing interesting had been put in the PO Box. I saw a sign where a person with a box could sign up to be informed by email each day of the mail received. I will sign up.

The only thing on the list that I did not do was returning the skirt to Belk's. I felt too weak. I felt too weak last week, too. So, next time I will feel better.

I made chicken sandwiches for our lunch. Was I hungry and were they delicious? Yes.

When we come south to Hueytown, Tommy is much more amenable to going further on the interstate than he is when I want him to leave from his house.

When I mentioned Cookie Fix, he was all over it. Of course, it was easy to find since we both know the area. The line was out the door. The corner handicapped space was empty!  I claimed my spot at the end of the line and announced I had to sit on the bench right outside the door.

Of course, the chocolate, chocolate  chip cookie was sold out. And, Tommy wanted something with coconut--sold out. I got two chocolate chip cookies and was happy.  I also bought a 5" Lodge iron skillet. Hopefully, it will hold and cook one scrambled egg. We sat in the car and Tommy devoured his cookie; I had to bring half of mine home to finish. The cookies were about 2 inches high!!!

Altogether, this was a good day. Remember, I am easily amused and pleased. Besides, I love Homewood! I wish I could live there. I also love yard sales, getting things I need for cheap, chocolate and sunshine. The sun shone the whole day, even when it was colder this morning. I think it got up to 59F today.

Are you yard saling yet? Good buys you need? Got a list of things you will look for?

10 comments:

  1. isn't Homewood where Red Mountain Park is? I was thinking when Hubby lived down there that was mentioned to us a couple times. Glad you went to doctor...UTI sucks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Tommy told me Red Mountain Park is outside Homewood. Red Mountain is where the statue of Vulcan lives in Vulcan Park. There were always complaints that Vulcan mooned Homewood with his bare buttocks. Things may have changed or renamed.

      I have not felt up to doing things I normally do, like washing out the pan where I cooked chicken. Now, I know why, and today I feel worse.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love a great yard sale or thrift store find! The casserole dish with lid is an amazing buy. Wish I had one of those chocolate chip cookies right now. Made my mouth water thinking about it. Today is my 61st birthday. Very quiet and low key day. Mom wanted to go walking inside the little mall this morning before the stores opened. She didn't get very far but loved being out. Then we went to a Peet's coffee shop in a local store and got the senior special for coffee. It was nice to get out for a bit. She is hoping to feel good enough to go out with her two friends on Wed. for lunch so my granddaughter will come from where she lives and we will go do something that day for a bit. She is almost 21 and the Manager of a Panera restaurant so she has been pretty busy as they just transferred her to Hillsboro which is closer to Portland Oregon. She takes after her dad and is very no nonsense and driven. She has a good work ethic which is unusual in that age group right now. Well enough about my day. Hope your Sunday has been nice. Maybe you and Tommy got out to Church today. Take care. Crystal (temporarily in Oregon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I am glad your mother felt like getting out a bit and has plans. I am glad some youth have a good work ethic. I was thrilled to find the casserole dish WITH a lid, but the lid knob is chipped. I just have to be careful picking it up as it is not only sharp but a bit of a chore to hang onto. No problem, though. I will be on the lookout for a new lid IF it appears. I told Tommy to wake me at 8 am and then told him when he woke me that I was just too sick.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if you could put something like a little clear nail polish on the chipped area so it wouldn't cut you? Or something like that. Still a great deal for the casserole dish. Hope you feel better soon. Crystal

      Delete
    3. Crystal,
      Since all my sandpaper is gone, i will either get more or sacrifice an emery board to get the sharp place smoother. Nail polish would not do well in the oven, i don't think.

      Delete
  3. good for you to be easily pleased - one does not get discontented that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      That is so true. One exception to that is if I have my heart set on something important to me.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...