Friday, February 14, 2020

Making A List

For the last few years, Tommy has been my listmaker. I can do it, but he is often just sitting while I will be walking around doing things. He is very willing, so I continue to call out things.

I make all kinds of lists. When I was sending food home with him, often one of us would forget what I had for him. He was more than willing to make that list and make sure I had it all together, out of refrigerator and freezer and into his car.

For a while here, I did not have pen and paper readily available. I do now. But, we continue the habit.

The list is mixed up when he writes  because I just want it down. When I write the list, the items are separated. The list may have returns, purchases of food and purchases of other items listed in order I call them out.  I use one piece of paper and separate returns and grocery stores. It works for us. Works for me.

Sometimes, I then take the list and make a new one, separating the list into small lists on the same page. Plus, I have rarely used a whole sheet of paper. Often the list is made on an envelope of some kind or a half sheet of paper.

Usually, the sheet with the list is for multiple days, not just for the day we go out to shop. Plus, I might not feel like continuing, or it is raining, the store is closed...all sorts of things figure into how much we do or I do.

Then, again, we have blown through a long list and have no carryover for the next trip out to shop. There are so many variables that go into the job of shopping. AND, shopping is a job from the list to getting it in the door and distributed to its spot in the house. There have actually been days that I decided to go home because I had too many things to carry inside even with multiple trips from car to house!

Make no mistake, compiling a list of things to do is a process, sometimes a difficult process.

At one time, I would sit down to make a list. Now, it seems to come in fits and starts.

Do you make lists? I know you do! Is your process different?

14 comments:

  1. I always have multiple lists. One daily, one long term, one grocery, one incidentals and household, one online orders,one Mom's caregivers, one monthly dates and obligations. They all live in a small notebook that fits in my bag, and get torn out when everything is checked off the particular list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put doctor appointments and things to do in my day planner. And, I don't have the Mom appointments. The rest I have pretty much the same as you. I paper clip my list inside the day planner until I do everything or until I put the rest on another list. I do not know how people manage without a list. Well, until my 50s I could remember all dates and food things in my head!

      Delete
  2. punch list which is jobs needing done on the house/barn/property

    pantry list

    garden list

    errand list

    non food list

    maintenance list or Hubby forgets to do the round of maintenance on furnace, AC , septic tank etc.

    house keeping list

    grocery list

    Hubby lists his maintenance on the 3 trailer and 3 vehicles along with all of the work his does.

    We are list makers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is a lot of lists. I am starting a garden list today.

      Delete
  3. For monthy budgeting, I use a small envelope, front and back. The front is for the first half of the month because we each get a pension at the beginning of the month. The back is for the last half of the month because our social security deposits are made on the 3rd and 4th Wednesday. I list the bills by due date. Then as I pay them, I draw a line thru them or put a check mark by it. At the top right I put the income plus the "on hand" for a total I have to work with. I have done this for years and years and it works for me. Each month I just get a new envelope.

    For groceries I have a list in the Notes section of my iPhone. I just made it as it occurred to me and it is now quite long and not in any particular order. I guess it would be better if it were either alphabetical or arranged by how I go up and down the aisles of my favorite grocery store. During the week as I see things we are getting low on or are out of, I go into the Notes section and put two asterisks (**) in front of the item. Then as I shop I delete the two asterisks as I put the item in the shopping cart.

    You don't have to be crazy to do things my way but it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you are crazy like a fox. ??? I do not list bills as I have only three things to pay. Well, I have two more since I had to move. All are paid in the first 3 days of the month except the autopay for the cell. I have to remember to leave enough money for that...a real pain.

      When I get another Android, I am going to try making lists on the phone.

      Delete
  4. I am a list maker! I do lists for groceries, jobs to get done in house, things to do next week, next month, next year. Sometimes I make my list on the computer or the notes app on my phone or notebook paper .If I am work when the list bug bites me, any piece of paper will do. Sometimes I use old envelopes or whatever is laying around. Sometimes my list order is random, sometimes it is very detailed. I have never made a list or returns-is that like stuff you are returning to a store? I probably only make a store return every couple of years or so. Maybe because I don't shop a lot? What kinds of things do you return? Have you ever made a list of your lists? I have. don't know why, but sometimes I just have a compulsion to make a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BD,
      I am returning a skirt I do not like the material. Also, I returned pants that got pills all over them and look cheap and shabby. I was really unhappy with both of those.

      I try not to get a clean sheet of paper, using something that needs to be thrown out anyway. Like you, any paper will do.

      Delete
  5. I have lists going all the time! Usually a short list of stores to go to that week and what I need to get there (needs and sale items). Sometimes I get too many lists going and have to just sit down and recopy all the important information especially when I have actually been getting things done and can cross things off my list. The lists get pretty messy. Take care. Crystal P.S. two more weeks to go and I will go home. Mom should be better situated by then. Have been cleaning up gradually and getting things where she can reach them easily since she is not to bend or twist with having back surgery or lift over 5 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,

      I know she appreciates all you are doing. I need back surgery but have no one to help me.

      I do list stores and what I am going to get on sale at that store which makes the list of lists longer. Redoing lists that have things crossed is such a fun thing to do!

      Delete
  6. I have a pad with a magnet on the frig and just add groceries and errands to that. I keep dr and other appointments on the calendar in a separate area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a pad on the refrigerator never works for me since it is hard to stand longer to write and I think of things when I am sitting.

      Delete
  7. I am List-Master. I make lists all the time and keep them up to date.
    Love my lists!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Urspo,
    I am a fellow list-maker, list-lover.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...