Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Wednesday and More Ill, Food I Bought

"No news is good news"is a false statement.

Today, I went to a lab to have tests done for two doctors. Seven vials of blood later and a trip to Cullman, I am feeling much worse. Pardon the TMI, but my urine for the sample was brown. I am so worried!

The doctor on Saturday sent off a sample for a culture, but it was not picked up until Monday, so Friday before I hear.  The sample sent off for culture today will not be back until Monday. Other than the emergency room, I have no idea what to do.

I made chicken sandwiches for the trip and carried water, oj, pb crackers. We left at 8 and arrived back here before 3 pm. So, we spent nothing eating out. Tommy always tells me how good the sandwiches are. He tells me more than once and with enthusiasm.

While in town I found broccoli crowns for $0.99/lb. I bought $4.49 worth. Now, I have to figure out where to get the energy to even get them in the refrigerator, much less washed and cooked.  Usually, broccoli crowns are $1.69/lb. or even more than that.

Tonight, we will have potato-broccoli soup with cheese and bacon, cooked in chicken broth.  Thankfully, Tommy was enthusiastic. Otherwise, he could make a pb sandwich. He said he would peel potatoes after Jeopardy.

8-pack hamburger buns 2 @ $0.50 = $1.00
broccoli  $0.99/lb  $4.49
2 storage containers @ $1.00= $2.00

Hormel Roast Beef in can $4.39 I love this stuff.

Total spent before tax is $10.36. This should be all we spend for the week unless he needs to go buy milk for himself.

What do you usually pay for broccoli crowns?

8 comments:

  1. Antibiotics can turn urine brown, also being dehydrated. WE have one store here...have to buy whole broccoli with stalk. You area lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      Thanks. I will check and see if this one does. Most of the time, we have to buy the whole stalk or pay a fortune for crowns. We are going back another day before the ad goes off, so I will get more. The soup--potato, broccoli, cheese soup is delicious. I will put the bacon in for tomorrow night. I do think I am lucky to have so many choices of stores. It makes it easy to cherry pick each week.

      Delete
  2. Broccoli here is usually not lower than $4.99 / kilo , at that price it used to cost me about $5 per meal for my family of six. These days there are only three of us but broccoli is very hard to get because of extreme weather conditions. I don't know how much it is, more than I can pay, for sure!

    I really hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      That is expensive broccoli! Of course, this price is imported from somewhere else. I don't think the climate is right now for the growing of broccoli here except in a greenhouse. If I could get a response from the doctor's nurse, I might get better. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Tewshooz of the reason for brown year. The soup sound great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I thought so after she said it, but I had not had the med in over 12 hours. It was good. thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...