Thursday, April 23, 2020

On a Roll with Pennies|Ham|Basil

On Tuesday, I found money.  As I was unplugging an electric cart in Lowe's, I spied a penny. Since it was on the other side of the cart but still behind, I went to the other side of the cart. As I reached to get it, I saw another on the floor and up against the wall. It was in the crevice made by the concrete wall and concrete floor in a sort of crumbling place. I picked around until I screwed up my nail and the polish. Both were cleaned thoroughly will Lysol Wipes. Later, I found that nail broken and peeling off. Well, I had two cents. 

When Tommy got out to pump $1.59 gas, I told him to watch out for money on the ground and I would get out and pick it up. As I gazed toward the sun and shaded my eyes, the unmistakable glint of a shiny penny caught my eye. So, I got out and picked it up and walked around the car and pump, hoping for more. I needed the exercise. 

On Tuesday I found 3 cents. Yay me! With these 2 pennies, this makes 5 pennies this year.

Today, Thursday, we went to Cullman for several things and went to food bank and to take out dinner--spaghetti, garlic bread, slices strawberries and pound cake. Unlike usual, we did not have to get out  of the car. I got a huge package of turkey legs, five pounds of Red Delicious Apples, chicken nugget things and a dozen eggs and 2 rolls of toilet paper, among other items. Some things are still in the car and will be given away.

It has been hard to eat up this half ham with just the two of us and my not wanting to freeze the rest. I do not want to cook beans with the ham bone, either. I suppose I will freeze the rest. But, I do not want to. Plus, I think ham is something I should avoid an excess of for my heart.

Okay, I decided I will freeze it in little foil packets, enough for Tommy a meal or sandwich. Then, I will put all the packets in a freezer bag. That way, he can find it and access it. He is also going to use the knife and get ham all over his hands...lol. That was an easy solution. That was possibly the most tender ham I have ever eaten.

Once I repotted the basil, it has looked poorly. It seems to have never recovered. That was several days ago and it is still droopy. I suspect it has been attacked by some insect. Always something!

Happy Dance for three pennies!



6 comments:

  1. We are never able to eat a half a ham before we get tired of it. When we have had enough after the original meal, I sit down and cut pieces of of it and sort them for size and fattiness. Then I put the various similar pieces in separate foil packets. I keep the foil on the packets smooth and am careful not to get any juice from the ham on them. Then I take a wax pencil (you remember the old fashioned kind in blue or black. Some of them peel off to sharpen) and write on the foil what to use that packet of ham for. I like a little bit of fat on ones I cook in the teflon skillet with eggs, and lean for all others. I have ones for sandwiches, ones for omelettes, ones to use in macaroni casserole, and ones to use in cous cous. I then take all of my packets and put them in a gallon size freezer ziploc bag and into the freezer. We are still eating from a ham I made in early February.I can't eat it very often because it causes fluid retention, but it sure is good to have on hand. I need to get another ham soon, if they are still available, so we have ham for meals for several more months.

    I don't usually have very good luck with either basil, or cilantro. Only one year out of several did I have good luck with basil. I never had any luck with cilantro. Must be something with my soil.

    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      Yes, I remember wax pencils and had several at home. Now, they are all gone. I liked to use them to write dates on cans better than markers. I need to get more wax pencils.

      That is a great idea to sort according the usage. I will have to do that. This ham has another three months of meat left on it.

      Basil always works for me. It was working until I repotted it into the soil mix. I think it must be something eating on it because the leaves are curling under. Today, I will get it and examine it. I have never grown cilantro.

      Delete
  2. You had a lucky day moneywise Linda!
    Cilantro is I think known as coriander here in the uk and is delicious freshly chopped onto a meat or vegetable curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I keep this up, I might have a dime at the end of the year....lol. Thanks. Coriander is seeds of the cilantro plant. Cilantro usually refers to the leaves.

      Delete
  3. I continue to feel happy to find a penny it makes me smile I always pick them up. Few do these days but I still see it as a portend of good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Then, my luck should be picking up. A few quarters would make it spendable on candy.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...