Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Tommy in a Facemask

On Tuesday I was headed into Publix. Tommy had to go to the bathroom, but so did I. I could not find another face mask, so we were going to have to share one. He said he would just use a tshirt. I had asked him to put a couple of his hundred old tshirts in the car in case we needed a rag.

The tshirt was not in bad shape, just horrible dingy. He did not try to figure out how to put it on straight. He just picked it from the floor in the back seat and wrapped it crazily around his face and tied it. I laughed hard at the sight he was. I suppose he had about six or more layers over his mouth and nose. I was happy to see he was protected.

I left a Lysol Wipe on the console so he could grab it and use it before he got back into the car or touched anything. He is careful about 99% of the time.

Last week, I asked him why he had so many tshirts and button shirts. I knew he was not a person who bought a lot of clothing. He said his cousin gained weight and gave him the shirts. Now, I know. One day a few months ago, he said he ought to give them away. I have a better idea--cut napkins from them! He would use them and consider them a good thing. I can hem them. Since I have no fabric, I can use them for facemasks.

While in Cullman, we went to my friend's junk store. She was not there as she had fallen out of her chair twice in one day. So, I am not sure what is the problem. Hopefully, she will not catch Covid19. But, her face is "messed up" as her son told me. Never fear, I was not going inside.

Do you have an unusual face covering? Or, have you seen any?

12 comments:

  1. I have seen people use bandanas which makes them look like crooks, but any port in a storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I think so, too. I saw one guy who had a rough, blue bandana and he looked like a cowboy. I have thought it would make bank robbing easier, except banks doors are locked.

      Delete
  2. I had a lovely blue and white print dress shirt that had been a favorite of mine. But I've lost weight and it was in the giveaway pile. I cut squares out of it and sewed face masks. I used strips from the bottom edge, the part where the button holes were, and the collar to sew onto the four corners as ties since I had no elastic. I have finished five or six, and have enough material to make four more, but no more edging for ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Those sound like very pretty masks. Use a solid pink or a pink print, or even another blue that will go with the dress for ties. Even if I had elastic or fabric, my machine is not in the cabinet and too heavy for either of us to pick up. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a machine, and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. I used a needle and thread. I'm no seamstress, and didn't take home economics in high school. But I can sew if I need to, and I felt like I needed to for these.

      Delete
    3. Shoe strings will work for ties, so will large rubber bands like off of celery. Son 2 has given me a lot of shirts his is too heavy for now and tee shirts that are worn out to make masks.

      Delete
    4. Chef,
      We all have lots of supplies if we look. Of course, at this point I would have to cut up Tommy's clothes since I have nothing of my own to cut up.

      Delete
    5. Alice,
      If you are doing these by needle and thread, you are a hero sewer.

      Delete
    6. Chef,

      Glad you mentioned shoe strings! I forgot that I did take a pair of shoestrings from an old pair of shoes (my "out the back door" shoes) and use as ties. I sewed the corners around them such that once we no longer need face masks, I can still use the strings.

      Delete
    7. Alice,
      Using shoe strings is a great idea. lol...I have no shoes with shoestrings.

      Delete
  3. Napkins made from old shirts would be lovely and soft. Creative upcycling can produce wonderful items, I don't have the creativity to think it up but I can appreciate when others do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      You are probably more creative than you think and in your own way. These would definitely look masculine.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...