Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Spoiled Milk

Do you ever have spoiled milk? I did when I bought Wal-Mart milk. Now that I buy the a2milk from Publix, milk lasts forever. Right now I am in the middle of a half-gallon of milk dated March 15. It is still really sweet. There is no sign of any off flavor.

Why?

Walmart leaves their shipments of milk sitting out in the store in the aisle for hours. Sometimes, the milk is starting to sweat. One milk producer told me they stock their ice cream and milk and do not leave it to the store. So, now you know.

Walmart has started carrying a2milk, but I will not be buying it at WM. I will stick with Publix. Today, a2milk was on sale, $7 for 2 half gallons. That is not much of a saving off regular price, but I like it.

Today, I bought two half-gallons. Saturday, I will buy two more, and Monday or Tuesday, I will buy enough cartons to make 6 cartons in the refrigerator. That way, I usually can drink cheaper milk until the next sale. I do anything to keep from paying $4.49 for a half gallon.

While getting the sale milk, I got Tommy a bag of apples. It is so funny he never knew the names of apples, now he tells me what variety he wants--Gala or Pink Lady. LOL Before, he said, "small, hard apples." I have made a point of telling what I got him.

2 half gal milk $7
apples, 2lb $3.99-$1= $2.99
4 zucchini in pack $3.99-$1=$2.99
white chocolate bunny-$2 reduced from $7
4 bananas
2 Snap Ware 2-cup glass storage--1/3 off Still a good deal Small rectangles.

That's for today folks. How long will your milk last in the refrigerator?

18 comments:

  1. I don't drink milk but Someone does and drinks it frequently so milk never goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I love milk, too, but when I buy three gallons at once, it does make me wonder if it will spoil.

      Delete
  2. I recently tried honey crisp apples and they are my new favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I still am a fan of Red Delicious, but Tommy is a fan.

      Delete
  3. My guy is very particular about his apples! As for milk, I scrupulously check expiration dates. It's good to know about Walmart. I hate that grocery employees don't seem to have any concept of food safety. Like dumping my meat on top of the lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Murphy,
      We both are very particular, just for different types. I ask grocery employees to clean their hands after handling the meat, if I don't watch them like a hawk, they overfill bags and bruise my bananas!

      Delete
  4. I only buy organic FF at Aldi and it lasts a long time. I like milk but only use it now for rcipes but I always have a quart of buttermilk in the fridge- well, not now! I only have 1 pint of heavy whipping cream left to use in coffee, bake with, etc. So next time my daughter goes shopping, I really need her to buy some kind of milk for me- I prefer half and half. I also have garlic and cinnamon on my list but they aren't essentials. I'm starting to get really do tired of staying home but alas, it doesn't do any good to fret or complain, does it? I'm not much of a 'venter.' I like to fix things but no fixing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Well, I am not going to get upset over this situation having to stay out of crowds. I just do not want either of us to be ill. No fixing this!

      Delete
  5. Linda, I get that the savings is something, but is it worth the risk of going out and shopping that frequently? I'm not trying to be critical, but I'm feeling very frustrated at the moment about the whole COVID19 situation, and how to many, life just goes on, while so many people are so deeply impacted, and trying to do as much as they can to keep the virus from spreading further. Saving $1 on 1/2 gallon of milk, $6 savings, seems pretty insignificant to place yourself at risk three times in a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Yes,it is an insignificant savings. I don't have anyone else to do it even one times per week. So far, I am only putting myself at risk. Sorry, but I am not callous.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps I read wrong, but you said you went Wednesday, will go Saturday, and Monday or Tuesday, and will do anything to save on milk. That was where my concerned comment was coming from-3 times in 6 days is what I understood you to write. Yes, it is putting you at risk, so I worry about you.

      Delete
    3. Right now, I don't have much room to spare in the refrigerator. Thanks for worrying about me. I am very careful.

      Delete
  6. I know several that are going to different stores, they just rotate what store they go to on what day. Mask and gloves, clean stuff when they get home, take a shower them selves and wash the clothes.

    I have had milk go bad. I am going to start going to half gallons instead of gallons. Then at least I am not opening up the whole gal every time I get a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Publix in Cullman today and was one of the few with mask and gloves. I do not change clothes or take a shower.
      By using out of a gallon, you are opening it many times.

      Delete
  7. I use spoiled milk to make pancakes, waffles, any time milk is required in cooking, I even freeze it for later. I never throw it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Those are good was to avoid tossing milk. O course, I just put Nestle's Quik in spoiled milk.

      Delete
  8. My husband does the shopping as I am high risk being over 80 with COPD. He changes into his town clothes and wears gloves then comes home and wipes down everything with Clorox wipes. Then takes off his town clothes in garage and hits the shower. Whew..but the guy is a gem. We buy raw milk from a certified Jersey herd. Stays fresh for over 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great that he is so careful for the two of you. I remember raw milk from childhood.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...