Monday, May 11, 2020

Brace and Bit and Egg-Beater Drill



Sitting here waiting for the Lowe's truck to come according to the schedule they told me was so frustrating. "Monday morning" was what I was told. Well, when it was 1 pm, I started calling. It only took 2 hours to find an answer.

Tomorrow between 8am and 5 pm is the new time for picking up the old table. The waiting and calling has exhausted me and further frustrated me. I was complaining to Tommy. "I wish I had a brace and bit!" I lamented. "I cannot plant one thing until I have holes in the pots."

He said he had one. How? Why? It belonged to his father. He related the time he and his brother had sidewalk skates. They fell so often and for so long, they had wounds all over. So, his father took the rollers/wheels off the skates and used them to make a scooter each for Tommy and his younger brother by attaching the skate wheels to a board. Tommy said he watched him using the brace and bit he still has.

Image result for Brace and Bit
This is what Daddy had. I watched him use it when I was too young to be in school. I started when I was five, so I must have been four-years-old. The tool he had was at least 60 year old now. I wonder how old it actually was. He would not have bought a new one, I doubt.

The one Tommy's father had is straight with a little handle to turn on one side and a little handle on the other. I still have not found a picture of the kind he has. I found it and it called an egg-beater drill.
It is below.
VINTAGE Millers Falls Co. Hand Crank, Egg Beater Drill No. 5A USA
I thought it might take some time to find the brace and bits, but he was back in five minutes with a toolbox. The brace is not like the one Daddy had. This brace is more straight. I chose a bit and put it in place and tightened it. As I worked, I was mildly surprised that I knew exactly how to tighten it.

It was seized up. I took a nap. When I awoke, I found my sewing machine oil and used it on all moving parts. Soon, I was spinning it around like I had done this all my life. Actually, I had never seen this type brace and bit.

Later, I tried to make a hole in a plastic pot. Tommy suggested I turn the pot upside down. You see why I did not ask for his help? !!! I decided I needed to go out on the porch tomorrow and do this. I will allow him to help since he is really strong. But, I will not leave him alone with the project.

Now, there is no immediate need for an electric drill. I did search for a drill and found a Porter-Cable corded drill, item 160031 model PC600D at Lowe's for something like $12.47. That may be a dollar off. I cannot find one in a store or one to order. Maybe you can. A corded drill is what I need, lighter and easier to handle. At that price, I will buy an electric drill

Do you have or have you ever seen either of these old type drills?

Lunch--chicken sandwich, halo
Dinner tonight--chicken with seasoning, rest of mixed vegetables, corn on the cob.


8 comments:

  1. I'm sure my dad had these, but I've never used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate dealing with delivery companies when they give you a time of anytime between 8 and 5, because I have nothing better to do than to wait at home for them. Frustrating. I hope they pick up your table sooner rather than later. I have never seen the type of drill that Tommy has. I HAVE seen but never used the type that you had. I hope you have a good Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      It is almost 2 pm, and I have seen or heard nothing of them. This is the second day I have wasted. I had never seen his type drill either.

      Delete
  3. Neighbor has both. Amish still use them, you can find them in areas where they shop for tools and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      How interesting to see them all the time. If I ever see one like Daddy had, I will buy it.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how thick your pots are but I've been using four inch nails heated on my gas cooker (I hold the nail with pliers) to poke holes through my pots and it works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. treaders,
      I have thought about that, and maybe. There are no four-inch nails here! Always something!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...