Sunday, May 17, 2020

Three Yard Sales

Since I forgot to get my mail, we went back to Cullman on Saturday. We went to a food bank where we received, among other things--gallon of milk, potatoes, toilet paper, and Windmill cookies...lol. We haven't gotten the cans out yet.

On the way out to the food bank, we passed three yard sales that I noted I needed to stop for bargains on the way back to town. Two of the yard sales were in the front yard of a community center, so that was easy.

The first one had things in multiples where it looked like he had gotten things really cheaply and was reselling. I bought 7 of the long tray-divider things to keep things together. They were about 3 inches x 10 inches. Plus, I got one thing to stand plates in or pot lids. All 8 pieces were $5. I wrote a check.

When I went to the sale beside him. The lady called my attention to the baby clothes. Even after I said I was not in need of baby clothes, she tried to encourage me to shop. grrrr I asked her a question--how much are the chairs in the bed of the truck? I had to repeat it. She then came and stood with her face right in my face. I recoiled and yelled at her not to get so close. Geez. She told me she could not hear with the traffic and wind. She could have easily yelled that.

The chairs were 2 for $25. They were expensive chairs with round bottom and had a rocking motion. There was no way I could get one in the Rogue even if we came back for the other.

At the third sale, I noticed when we pulled up that the sign said "Estate Sale." I looked at lots of things that were free and things that were Christmas. I collect sleighs but forgot to buy the one I liked. As I went toward the garage with my mask on, I saw a wheel chair. They said it was $5 and let me try it out as the woman pushed.

I remarked that I mainly needed a wheel chair to get into dr offices in Birmingham, that is was so far to get into them and to the office. All four of the people commiserated and one said, "Yes, our sister had trouble, too." I suppose this estate sale was from the late sister and not from a parent as I had  supposed. Then, the guy  told me I could me I could have it for free because "I can donate this stuff to a thrift store, but I would rather give it to someone who can use it." I thanked them profusely.

He said for me to take the clothespin bag I was looking at earlier. It was full of clothespins. They tried to give me an apple cookie jar I liked since it was like one my mother game me. I told them, "But, it is not the one she gave me." There was a box of a dozen or more sheet sets in a box marked "FREE." So, I got one set.

Now, I have a wheelchair! It looks like new. It is not comfortable, but neither are some of the half-broken ones at doctor offices. I only need one to get into the office! It was a good yard sale day!

Today, I bought 5 lbs. carrots, two boxes bogo Honey Nut Cheerios, kale, bananas, an onion until I find the bag I have. I plan to make potato soup this week.

The only thing I found out about my friend who had surgery is that she is alive still. I suppose I should be grateful for that bit of knowledge and not wish I knew the whole story.

So, I have a much needed wheelchair for $0. Have you found any yard sales yet?


6 comments:

  1. Wow! That was nice of them to let you have the wheel chair free of charge. Since my orthopedic surgeon's office was as far away as it could physically be from the valet parking entrance in the doctors office building I go to, that I had to use a wheel chair for a long time when going there. Some of the wheel chairs there were on their last leg (or wheel, since they were wheel chairs), and often there were no wheelchairs available, so I would have to go to the desk where they would make a call and finally one would be brought from wherever it had been abandoned in the building. It would make me late, so I had the person at the desk call my doctors office and tell them what was going on. It sounds like you had a great synchronicity shopping day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      I was going to buy it after I tried it out, just to make sure the wheels rolled...lol. Some offices are so accommodating, and some have no wheel chairs, some say that is not their job! At any rate, I am left feeling I am a bother or not worth getting into the office. I still cannot roll it because of my wrists and shoulders. If I did, I would not be able to use my hands and shoulders to raise me out of the wheelchair! I have had to call and say I was having trouble with getting a wheelchair or pusher or whatever.

      Oh yes! It was a good day for bargains and free stuff. About half of what they had was free. But, I did not go for that stuff. I even left some stuff I wanted because they were giving me everything for free. I think they thought of their sister and her problems...they sister who died.

      Delete
  2. That's great you were able to get that wheelchair and for free! I'm sure it will make those doctor visits easier to manage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      It will. It is hurtful to have people refuse to get me a wheelchair.

      Delete
  3. No yard sales for us in KY until after the 20th. That's when 'retail' opens back up, with limitations.

    Those folks sound like my husband. When he sells something, he'll half give it away, and try to give more with it. Selling a Jeep right now and asked a fair price, young man (27) said he'd take it, and hubby said he'd take less and gave him a new price. Alrighty then, LOL.

    I am a fan of both yard sales and Goodwill. I'm partial to the Goodwills in Nashville, because they are more like consignment stores, where things are divided by like items, then size, then color. Probably 90% of my wardrobe comes from there, even my work clothes for my office job. (If I ever get to go back into the office).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may have been the third day of the garage sale. I think they were missing their sister and feeling for women who may have reminded them of their sister's situation. I had a friend reduce everything in my yard sale if anyone asked. He was mad he had to help me and wanted it gone. Idiot.

      Wow, if I ever come to Nashville for anything, I will check out the Goodwills. it is possible I might come there to see someone.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...