Monday, May 18, 2020

Planting

I forgot to say that we took a sandwich for lunch on Saturday and went to eat it at the lake. I think we sat there for almost an hour, maybe more. The ducks are entertaining as are the people and kids walking and biking. Saturday was very pleasant, blue skies warm and very little breeze. So, we spent nothing on eating.

Sunday, we "wasted" planting and potting time watching two great movies. Since I had not had a banana on Sunday, I could not face Monday without one, we ran down to Publix where I bought five. Now, I am set until Thursday.

I think we got outside about 6:45 and Tommy dipped all the potting mix into three huge planters and four really tiny ones. I transplanted my summer squash I had already planted into one of the large pots. It looks broken. Then, I took the bedding plant for crookneck squash and put it into the other, matching planter.

Tommy dipped the soil mix because it hurts my wrist and shoulder to be dipping heavy stuff too many times.

Maybe I repotted something else. By this time, my back was hurting so that we quit. Then, I watered everything on the porch. So, nothing will die from lack of water. Then, it rained.

In the back yard I was sad my Romaine had bolted.  I tried one leaf, one bite,  to make sure it was too bitter. IT WAS! So, I pulled up everything in one of the four boxes. My back hurt even worse, so I just watered the two boxes with cabbage in them.

Maybe tomorrow I will pull up bolted red lettuce and kale plants in the boxes left, except for cabbage. The cabbage has yellow spots and some droopy leaves. I have no idea what is wrong with them.

I have two bedding plants from Lowe's and two from the lady with the farm in Cullman and the CSA.

I have one chair in the front and one in the back, so part of what I did was from a sitting position. Tommy stood in front of the porch and sat on his walker in the back yard.

Birds keep sitting on these "wicker" chairs and pooping on them. I am going to buy a bag of rubber snakes and put on in each chair and alternate it from chair to ground. I will put one on the porch and a couple by the boxes out back.

In front of the porch I gasped as I looked down and saw a "snake," part of a bungie cord that was attached to the garbage can to keep raccoons out. Maybe I will find broken ones around here and use those.

Monday afternoon and I now have 40 lbs of produce to wash, sort some, put in refrigerator and cook. Tonight, it will not be bean soup. It is going to be potato soup. I have too many potatoes right now. Since I have 5 pounds of carrots, I suppose I will make potato soup with carrots, kale, and bacon. Maybe I will put cheese in it. Not sure.

10 comments:

  1. We have a summer camp on a river. I used to spend the whole summer there, alone, hubby would come on weekends. I never stayed inside, I loved being outdoors. One morning, I saw a snake! I was terrified! I stayed indoors until shortly after noon when I noticed it had not moved. I didn't want to chance being 'attacked' by a snake, so I opened the window and took a photo of it (to be sure it wasn't poisonous). I loaded the photo into my computer and blew it up...only to find that I was trapped indoors by the strap that holds your glasses on when you're on the jet ski!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That is sooo funny. Well, let's hope these birds are fooled by a fake snake and stay away. Good story.

      Delete
  2. You'll be good and healthy with all those vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Or I will be hurting and healthy. I planted what we will eat, not what people wanted me to plant.

      Delete
  3. How do you use white potatoes? It seems everything using them involves fat. Mashed with butter, fried, baked with butter and sour cream. We have been using more sweet potatoes lately but would like to add white more too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      The soup has diced, boiled potatoes, carrot coins, kale, onions sautéed in butter, all cooked in chicken broth. The only fat was butter for sautéing the onions. And, I used some for a small amount of white sauce. I think I used about three T of butter for the whole pot and no other fat. I never fry potatoes, but I put sour cream on baked potatoes, never butter. I often eat white potatoes without fat. I like plain boiled potatoes eaten with beans and peas.

      Delete
    2. Ann, we don't use butter or milk for mashed potatoes when one of the grandkids is around, they allergic to dairy. I use a bit of the water we boil them in. Daughter does add margarine...which is never in this house LOL. You can fry in olive oil or grapevseed oil if you don't want the olive taste in fried potatoes.Both are healthy oils. I boil my potatoes skin on and then when cooled put them in the frig and peel (or not peel) later to fry in oil. Up here we call them home fries, takes less oil and quicker to fry up.

      Delete
    3. I have to try these new ways. I always end up with too much fat on white potatoes so haven't gotten them much lately

      Delete
    4. Chef,
      Use Yukon Gold potatoes and no butter is needed.

      Delete
  4. Ann,
    I can use sour cream on baked potatoes and not miss all the fat of sour cream.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...