Friday, June 19, 2020

Hello, Bloggers. Practical Parsimony Here. The Freezer Has Landed!

I now have a beautiful freezer that is a Maytag, 16 cu. ft. Now, I can blanch and freeze all these carrots and potatoes. If I had my dehydrator, they would be dry by now. All apples can be peeled, cored, and sliced for a pie, cinnamon, flour and sugar added, and frozen. There are more things to freeze--bell peppers and such.

Now, I can see what I have and add more meat if and only if I find a bargain. Well, I only buy chicken or mostly.

Plus, at the bread store I can buy $7 worth of bread and get a free item. The item is anything in a certain buggy.  It could be bread, cookies, anything they sell that is in the buggy. Plus, it is a long way to the bread store. This will save on gas and time. This arrangement would work for shopping once a month since bread and buns are less than $1.

I put two loaves of bread in one 2-gallon freezer bag. When I empty the bag, I save it in the freezer to use again.

The place I bought it from is in Cullman, AL. Their original store is in Huntsville, AL, so I was surprised they willingly delivered the freezer to me 65 miles away. However, they have a regular customer in Cullman that bought an appliance for her daughter south of  Birmingham. They were glad to deliver mine since they got another delivery charge. Nice people at the store, great delivery guys.

Okay, one thing down. Next, I am pushing for a light in the kitchen or dining area. But, that push is for next month.


13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new freezer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the new freezer! I know how much you have wanted one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I think Tommy finally realized how much it would save money. And, since I paid for it, it is mine when I leave.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your new freezer! I make pie filling and freeze in bags so I can make a pie or crisp fairly fast. Always looking for a good deal on apples. I even cook rice and freeze in quart size bags when cool and flatten to put in freezer. That way I don't have to make a whole batch and clean the pan every time and I don't let it go to waste. I make a lot of "parts" of meals and leftovers for the freezer. Glad you were able to get one and get it delivered. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      Pie filling/crisp is exactly what I have in mind for the apples. Yep, in a freezer bag and frozen in a pie pan so it has the right shape and I can put it from the bag to pie pan. I will use a disposable pie pan and put the bag of apples in the pie pan to freeze to the right shape. I cook rice and put it in a pint bag since it is so easy to make too much, and I don't eat much rice. I have a huge bag of frozen chicken tenderloins that I am going to bake and freeze two to a snack bag and dump those in a gallon freezer bag to make them easy to handle. They charged $89 to deliver it from Cullman to Birmingham. Lowe's charges more than that for delivery 3 miles.

      Delete
  4. That will be so nice for your produce and bread. I like that it means you might have to shop less frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only do I not have to sharp as often, less produce will go bad or almost bad. Plus, I can take advantage of sales.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new addition! It is a lot easier to run to the freezer than the store. I knew I was truly a grown-up when I got excited about new appliances, something I couldn't envision in my younger years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EAS,
      Thanks. Sooo much easier! I laughed at your comment that you knew you were truly a grownup when you got excited about new appliances. It is so true.

      Delete
  6. Happy Joy! I have a freezer too so I know how happy this must make you.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...