Thursday, June 18, 2020

Ollie's and Joanne's

I went to Ollie's today. The experience was a disaster! I could only stand long enough to look at books and found nothing like Sluggy did. Most of the books were novels, baby and kids' books, and a million and a half of cookbooks. 

A few appealed to me--Beowulf, The Mueller Report, Skeletons, the extraordinary form and function of bones, Railroads Across North America. The last two are going back--Killing Patton, and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer. Tommy said Bill O'Reilly wrote the one about Patton and he did not think I wanted it. He said Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer would be no good. So, back those two go. 

Before the cashier even touched a book, I asked her nicely not to drop the books in a bag since that would bend the corners. I could tell that set her off. So, I was in trouble.

Oh, I bought a Rand McNally Atlas of North America and the woman folded it, folded it. I raised the volume of my voice and the pitch as I said, "Don't fold my book!" Another cashier came to rescue me or the cashier, not sure. 

After I put my card in the reader, she answered a call and just left me and my card hanging. I asked her to tend to the card. She continued with the call. The other cashier told her to finish my transaction before helping the person on the phone. She was livid. 

When she answered the phone, she called the name of the store as "OH lees". I thought it was "AH lees." So, I thought maybe I was wrong and asked her how to pronounce the store name. She refused to say a word. I asked again. She still refused. So, I turned to the other cashier and asked her--AH lees. 

Then, I refused to care and asked the cashier how long she had worked at the store. She refused to speak even after I asked her four times. I thought she did not hear me at first. 

I could walk no further to see other bargains.

Finally, I got to go to Joanne's, a fabric and craft shop. I found three pieces of fabric for outfits. The fabric was $16.99/yd. reduced to $7.99/ yd. Since it was 60 inches wide, I thought two yards would make one outfit--top and pants. Everyone there disagreed. I bought 2.5 yards if one,  but feel confident I have enough. 

Plus, I found the scissors I needed/wanted for sewing. 

AND, I found elastic. They had cut 3 yard lengths and put it in tiny bags for $0.99. I imagine it is inferior elastic, but it is only for masks. So, for $2.97, I have 9 yards of elastic. The last time I bought 1/4 inch elastic, I bought a spool that was 10 inches high and about 8 inches wide. So, I have no idea if this is a good price. 

This was my afternoon. I will tell you about my morning tomorrow. 

My freezer is scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. I am so excited.

Now, I have to make a pattern for my pants. Not tonight.

Do you think the Abraham Lincoln book is good? Read it?

4 comments:

  1. I like to think when people are a bit disagreeable, maybe it is a one off and the next day will be better. I though would have probably just ignored her and not asked any questions-as I wouldn't want the interaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      She was new and not good at the job. I went back yesterday to return the two books and had to pass her. She was screwing up something that another employee had to do for her. I only asked her one question too many--the fourth time I asked her is she was new. And, I did not ask in an abrasive or derisive manner. You know, some people should never work in retail. Remember, I only asked one question, and thought she did not hear or understand or hear me since I had the mask on and it was incredibly noisy.

      Delete
    2. Sam,
      I did not finish. She had been there for two weeks, long enough not to screw up the name of the business. I actually thought I had been saying it wrong.

      Delete
  2. Joannes! I have not dared go into one in months as there was a run on materials to make masks.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...