Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Frozen Food and Doctor Appointment

And, I lost another post !!!! 

Tuesday night, I mashed the 34 cents worth of bananas, five bananas, and got a heaped up measuring cup of bananas in a bag in the freezer. I cleaned and cut into strips four Bell peppers and froze them on a pan in the freezer and dumped them into a bag. The four peppers were 94 cents. Even though the peppers were reduced, they were not wrinkly, just  few blemishes that happened during growth and picking. 

Wednesday, I had an telephone appointment with a cardiologist. On Monday, I received a call from someone wanting another telephone appointment at the same time. I was trying to explain I had another call scheduled at the same time. The guy was a little confused. Finally, I realized he was from the cardiologist, not the research team for my garden. The guy needed a bit of information and said a nurse practitioner would call me on Wednesday and then the doctor would talk with me, somewhere between 11 am and 12 noon. 

At 8:15 on Wednesday morning, the middle of the night, the phone rang. I had forgotten to turn it off. It was the guy calling to see if I were ready to receive the call. Yes, I am and why are you calling so early for 11 am appointment? To see if you are ready. I pointed out he woke me!

At 10 am I received a call from someone who took a history and meds information. And, to see if I was ready for the 11 am call. 

Finally, exhausted, I lay down about 12:30, figuring they knew how to wake me. I awoke at 2:15 pm, went to the bathroom and tried to rest more. A little before 3 pm, I received a call from someone who wanted to know if I was ready for the call and how much did I weigh and did I take my blood pressure. Well, no, since i don't have a blood pressure cuff. 

The nurse practitioner got on the phone and we talk for a long time. It seemed we went over everything I had told all the other people. Finally, she told me the doctor would come on the line.

He has a very slight accent, but the volume was keeping me from understanding. After the second sentence I said to him, "I cannot understand you. You need to speak up, louder." He started laughing really hard. I asked him what was so funny. He said, "You are very direct. You make me think I am talking to my mother." And, he continued to laugh hard. I said, "I am your mother." He laughed even harder. But, he did speak up for the whole conversation, not needing prompting to keep speaking loud enough. 

I shared my anxieties about being in the hospital for a procedure and this one in particular. He said, "We will make sure it is a happy experience." I said, "Are you giving me prizes or something? Happy experience?" He started laughing again. "Yes, we will give you prizes!" After a bit more conversation, we were through. 

The nurse practitioner came back on the phone. Someone will call me for an appointment for sometime in the future--4-6 weeks! 

So, that is that. I wait for a summons to torture.

I had things planned for today, and nothing was done! My car was going to get its hand washing. We were going to go to Tommy's bank so I could write him a check to pay for the sewing machine. Well, I wrote him a check and we mailed it--my idea. That involved a trip to PO, less than a mile away instead of going all the way downtown to his credit union. Somehow, the credit union branches don't have night deposit slots.

A birthday treat--`Alouette Spinach and Artichoke Dip and crackers. Tommy does not like it, so it is all mine.  It takes the edge off of not getting the car washed. 

I wanted to go to a medical supply place to get a package of two reachers, one short and one long. His broke and he struggles to drag things and shove things with a cane. There are things I need to make this a celebratory day, too. Oh well, it gets dark too early to be out this time of the day. 

Tonight, we will have slaw, beans, chicken, and I think I will cooks squash in olive oil with onions. He loves that and so do I.  

How did your day go? Anything fabulous to eat? Great deals? How was the weather?

12 comments:

  1. Good work prepping all the produce for no waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hubby came home with a large container of lump crab, so we had the most delicious crab cakes. Filling was crushed pork rinds and parmesan cheese, as we are grain free and don't use bread. They were so tasty. I made some horseradish dipping sauce to go with them. Not a cheap or economical meal, but this week is our anniversary, so I guess we're also celebrating this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      The celebration dinner sounds delicious. Congratulations!

      Delete
  3. The doctor preparations must have been a nightmare when you were trying to sleep. At least the doctor had a sense of humour. The dip you had sounds delicious. As for deliciousness at my house, I made roasted chicken legs and thighs. I like roasting chicken until the skin is golden brown and crackling otherwise I'm pretty much over chicken. We had rice pilaf along with green salad. It was not bad. Very late now and I'm making berry muffins. I meet a friend in the park tomorrow and we'll be carrying our own snacks and drinks. If she wants to share hers I won't accept it. I'm far more careful about this social distancing than she is though she likes me to think she is. One has to take care of their own needs healthwise right now. Everyone has such a different idea of what small groups look like when it comes to social circles during Covid. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyful,
    This was only a telephone appointment, but I believe I will like him. A sense of humor is important. Your dinner sounds delicious, even though I don't eat things and legs. I have nnot made pilaf in ages. I should. This dip was guilty of helping me put on over 60 lbs. when I could barely walk for six months after a knee injury. I love it too much! Supposedly, food does not spread the coronavirus, but i would not eat something from a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did not know that you had knee surgery. I need that myself though the surgeon won't do it because I need to lose weight first. I gained so much weight after being afflicted with osteo. Now I finally lost those pounds but it took forever. I still need to lose more weight before the doctor will do the surgery. I need to lose it anyway but it is so very difficult for me drop even 2 or 3 pounds and so very easy to gain it and more. As for food, the head doctor here tells us not to share food. That's why I am careful about it. My friend didn't end up bringing any food. Usually she carries a sandwich and nuts or an energy bar. Today I offered her an orange because the insides have not been touched by me but I didn't offer anything else for her safety.

      Delete
    2. Joyful,
      I had a torn medial meniscus. Workmen's comp refused to let me have surgery for six months, so I could barely walk and gained weight.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...