Wednesday, September 23, 2020

New Books, Curb Shopping, Food Deals

 We went to the free book place and, as I said, we took 8 of Tommy's books. I think we got 21. The next time we go, we will return as many books as we got in the two trips. I wanted to get books before they were exposed to rain or just damp air. As before, some books have never even been opened.

We cruised a bit, not much. This area has fraternity and sorority houses besides grand old homes used for student apartments. I saw a pile of junk and we stopped. I scored a tiny ironing board, the kind you put on the counter to use. Then, a sheet caught my eye. It was clean, new and MINE. There was a tiny rip near the top hem where it looked like the sheet might have been caught in a tug of war. It may be turned into curtains. It is going into the washing machine. 

I knew we would both have low blood sugar if we did not take something to eat. So, I asked him to grab crackers and juice. He got two of both, not what I meant but okay. 

So, it was my idea to wash the chairs early in the day, but I wanted books, and we left. At 4:30 or maybe before, he got up to wash chairs. About halfway through, I asked him if he would like these chairs instead of his dining chair. The answer was an emphatic YES. 

My plans that he did not dispute--take off seats and have new ones cut, get new padding, upholster with fabric he likes and maybe get it laminated, put slides on the bottoms of the wooden legs. My kitchen chairs were never used on carpet, so I put the carpeted slides on the bottom. His chair will be on carpet, so I will put the smooth glides on his chair legs. These are the things on a nail that is nailed in the bottom of the chair leg. I asked him if he wanted the chairs painted or like they are...like they are--wood. There is hope! 

He got so much dust on him and nasty water. So, he is covered in dust that looked like the residue of sanding seams. The white stuff was not paint, mostly sheet rock mud since it was thick in places. All but two or three specks did come off. I took a fingernail and scraped off some tiny immovable specks. My emery board will take care of the other few. It took a little over two hours. He is in the shower.

These chairs are very sturdy. There are two stretchers on the front and both sides with only one stretcher across the back. The original papers were still stapled to the bottoms of the chair. There is no zip code  on the address which were officially implemented in 1963 but in use some places during WWII. I am going to research the company and find out when these were made. If made in 1962, the chairs are 58 years old. I sat on one of the chairs and they are large enough for my ample bottom that they were comfortable. 

Dinner Tuesday night--either we go buy something or have a hotdog with chili with no beans and cheese and the leftover mashed potatoes from last night and whatever is in the other three containers. He said the hotdogs and leftovers would be okay. I think I need KFC.

I cannot list books now since I need to put hotdogs in the microwave. Okay, Tommy had hot dogs and bread and chili without beans, mashed potatoes, and cantaloupe. I had cheese and no bread, no cantaloupe. Good enough!

Ronco Pasta--In the last batch of coupons that are thrown in the little pink bags, I found Ronco coupons--75 cents off two packages. Well, I have six coupons and can only find two. I will find them. I went to the Pig and found no Ronco spaghetti, just vermicelli and thin spaghetti. I cannot stand either. 

But, Ronco Rotini was there. I bought two bags for $1.54 each. The 75 cent coupon doubled. So, rotini was $3.04-$1.50 doubled coupon=$1.54 or $0.77 for each bag of rotini. That will be four servings or two meals, less than 20 cents per serving for this ingredient. 

I will save the 5 coupons left to try to buy at the Pig when they have more Ronco spaghetti. 

Bananas--1.825 lbs. bananas reduced to $0.29/lb and I have 5 bananas for $0.53. These have bumps and bruises, I am sure. But, you never can tell. I will mash and freeze at least one cup of these and eat the rest, probably just one. Okay....There was exactly one cup of mashed banana from four of the five bananas. This morning, Wednesday, I ate the other for breakfast in a sandwich. 

Speaking of Piggly Wiggly, I tried their cheese because it was cheap. It was fine, not quite as tasty as Kraft, but not like some other cheeses I have tried. So, I am sold when I cannot find Kraft cheap enough. 

That was Tuesday--free books, Ronco coupons used, curb shopping, bananas cheap. 

Wednesday morning I awoke after five hours sleep and finally got up because I was hot. I feel better, but not well by any means--lower temperature but not gone, less pain, less congestion. Now, it is Wednesday afternoon and after a four-hour nap, I feel even better, but not completely well. 

How was your bargain hunting or finding lately? Any sales? 

10 comments:

  1. I think it is going on my bucket list: a trip to a Piggly-Wiggly. I have never been to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      It is a worthy goal. Some are exceptionally clean. Some are shabby.

      Delete
  2. You had a busy and I'm glad the chairs are now clean. It would be nice if you could upload a photo of them but I understand if you can't. I freeze my bananas whole and with skins on and then use them in banana bread or muffins. Now I'm think I should take the skins off and mash them and freeze them in a baggie. Do you use yours for banana bread? As for bargain hunting I got a new smart phone yesterday at $440. off through using a combination of points and time limited bonus points (still paid $115. and more than half of that was taxes). It isn't the great phone but at least it's newer than my current phone which has been giving me issues. I've still got to program the new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      One day, I froze a banana whole and peeling it was like peeling snot. Besides, I want to get all the blac, rotten, damaged part off. Tommy hates bananas, but said he can eat banana bread. I made black bean brownies with bananas in them. He liked those.

      That sounds like a great bargain on the phone. Good for you.

      Delete
    2. I've never had a problem with peeling the frozen bananas. I peel them with a small knife while they are still frozen. They are good for my smoothies and banana bread. But I like your idea and might give it a try because I could mash and flatten them and stack them in the freezer. I just programmed the new phone I think it will work out well.

      Delete
    3. Joyful,
      I let them thaw first...lol. Just now, I am putting all the little slippery, flat bags into a tiny crate to contain it in the freezer. Great the phone is going to work out.

      Delete
  3. I really am loving your new chairs story. Makes me want to curb shop, myself. The problem is that my house is full and I have everything that I want. The only reason to curb shop would be to resell and lots of people do that, I know. But I'm too lazy. :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I considered reselling. But, when I asked if he would like them, he was very emphatic when he said YES. Otherwise, they probably would have been sold. I would have painted them but he wants them as they are.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That is always a good thing! With all your family eating, it is great.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...