Thursday, September 24, 2020

Ball Canning Jars at Piggly Wiggly and Other Stuff

 It was a mistake. There were no Roma tomatoes for $0.99/lb. anywhere. I thought they were at the Pig, so went. Instead, I got a dozen Ball 4 oz. jars. Bananas were $0.24/lb., reduced,  and I got 1.955 lbs., so I spent $0.47 on five bananas. I will mash four and freeze. Once again, I will eat one for breakfast. I still have three greenish ones and a speckled banana, all  bought at store prices, whatever that price is. Mashing done. One more cup of frozen mashed banana is in the freezer. 

I found another item to compare--another brand of Roast Beef with Gravy. 

$4.31 Hormel Roast Beef with Gravy

$3.40 Armour Roast Beef with Gravy

$2.90 Harvest Creek Roast Beef with Gravy

While I have never heard of Harvest Creek, I bought a can to give it a try. The very best is Hormel and it is from Brazil. I think their standards for beef are higher than our standards. Anyone heard of Harvest Creek? We will try it in a few days, as I have had too much beef lately. 

Wednesday night, I sort of wanted KFC but settled for hotdogs and chili without beans and some vegetable from a can. While I was looking for the hotdogs in the refrigerator, I found a meatloaf in the little pan where I cooked it. So, dinner was a very tiny bit of meatloaf and most of a can of green beans. Tommy only eats a bit of green beans. After dinner I told him to eat fruit, too. He did with no complaint. 

By the way, my Piggly Wiggly had about 30 boxes of Ball jars but no lids or rings at all. I use the tiny 4 oz. Ball jars for all sorts of things. They are great for tiny leftover amounts. I use them in the freezer for partial cans of stuff I did not use. I may make tiny meatloaves and bake them in the jars. That way I would not have to rebuy plastic freezer bags. We would need two for our meal, but that is okay. 

About 15 years ago, I grew Cayenne peppers and made hot pepper jelly and some mild. I sold the 4 oz. jars for $4.50 with a 50 cent refund when I got the jars back. I offered the buy back on the jars when people said it was too expensive. I sold dozens of jars and never had anyone want a jar fee back. Canning is hard and I am not giving away my produce, sugar, jars, and time. 

Wednesday, I ordered 19 spools of thread for the serger. I ordered 4 black, 4 white, 3 each in different shades of pink, 1 red, and 6 colors I do not remember at the moment. A $49 order has free shipping. I should have ordered needles, too. With 3000 yards on each spool, I will probably never run out of the black and white. 

I just had a thought! I put food in the freezer on a  baking sheet if I am quick freezing lots of produce to shove in a freezer bag. I have been using a paper plate when I have a pint of bananas to flatten to freeze. Just now, I was putting the Styrofoam "tray" the bananas were on with another Styrofoam tray headed to Publix for recycling. It occurred to me the clean tray could be used to put the flattened bag of bananas into the freezer. I can just store the tray in the freezer when I am not actively freezing something. 

Reduced bananas are always on Styrofoam trays. I refuse to buy other produce items on Styrofoam! 

Have you ever heard of Harvest Creek canned food? Anyone found Ball lids and rings in stores?


5 comments:

  1. You struck gold with finding the canning jars. I'm going to make due with what I have-only 12 lids to seal though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      It was an amazing sight. However, I only got two dozen jars. I wish there had been rings and lids, lids at the very least.

      Delete
    2. Sam,
      I thought so, too. But, I did not need too many right now. I have enough here and in storage unit. When I went back, the same number seems to have been there.

      Delete
  2. I too am skeptical if not downright refusing to buy some items in packages not good for the planet . I prefer glass and paper.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...