Friday, October 16, 2020

Thursday and Friday--Food Work

Thursday afternoon, we spent 30 minutes dating, sorting, putting food on shelves, and moving the rest toward the bedroom storage. Now, I know exactly how many of which soup variety I have. The cans with 2022 are not in the kitchen unless it is the only can of that variety that I have. 

Then, I had Tommy cut two 1-lb. bags of baby carrots into coins for potato soup. He peeled and diced potatoes after I washed the potatoes. Two cans of Campbell's chicken broth were added.  

I have a bag of kale to add to the soup when it is almost done. Five minutes will work to cook it. Oh, and cheese. We will have chopped chicken in it or on the plate.  I have homemade applesauce to eat after dinner. 

I need to water my mum, tomato plant and kale plants. There are still dishes to wash!  UGH! He will cut the stems off the baby kale. Normally, this would not be necessary, but I am supposed to cut back on fiber. 

Friday, we got a food box, but they gave us two. No asking. I am including both lists in one.

  • 6 lbs. chopped chicken breast
  • 6 lbs. sliced cheese
  • 10 lbs. potatoes
  • 2 quarts of whole eggs
  • 2 quart of Yoplait strawberry yogurt
  • 2 gal. milk
  • 20 loose apples
  • 4 lbs. onions
  • 10 lbs. potatoes
  • 4  bakery--hot dog buns, hoagie buns, sourdough English muffins
  • 2 pkgs. hot dogs
The cheese and chicken are in the freezer, divided into packages. Hot dogs are in freezer. Potatoes and onions are in the dark. The milk is in freezer. I prefer plain yogurt, but strawberry is okay. 

We gave a box to give to young, single neighbor--2 quart container of whole eggs, some apples, bag of potatoes and onions from another week. Like I said, they will eat this faster than we will, plus, there is another adult in the house. This is the house where the father died. 

Amazon box came this morning. I love the glasses for fit. I am so happy with large bottle of Natrol Melatonin, and the boom box gets the station for Christmas songs after Thanksgiving until New Year's Day. 

Now, we are going to clean off the skinny shelf in the freezer and put chicken chops out flat on a huge cookie sheet, and I will chop onions for freezer or dehydrator.  Then, I need to wash dishes, finish potato soup, and color my hair. 

We are getting behind on Halloween decorations! It's still nice and warm, at least in the 70s today. Is it freezing yet at your house? Tonight, a frost is possible. Still, we are not using heat.

8 comments:

  1. It looks like you are getting a great start on your winter storage. How nice to get an extra food box. I'm sure the neighbor loved that you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beckyathome,
      Yes, we are doing well on food storage. Last time, she was thrilled to get the food.

      Delete
  2. You sure have been busy and will be well prepared for cooler or rainy days ahead. Are the food boxes income based? How do people in your community know about them. What a terrific resources, and so good of you to make sure to share things that might otherwise not be used. Smart and gracious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I hope these foods will help in the cooler weather. No, they are not income based at all. They just say anyone that needs food can have them. We have seen them on tv in news reports. Unlike food banks, there is never cakes or cookies. I like that they are not included. It is hard for Tommy to take this stuff to the neighbor and climb to her porch, but he does not mind and insists on doing it. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. We wont get a freeze - if ever - until January.
    Meanwhile the AC remains on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      We are not ready for a freeze, but a frost was indicated as a possibility. Our AC is on, too, and at least until Christmas.

      Delete
  4. You've been bust getting prepared and organised :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...