Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The Big Pink Purse (my charitable project)

My inspiration for this project was The Big Pink Purse. I was looking for a quote from Hillary Clinton where she said she had a big pink purse she was going to use only in the summer and then said she was carrying it in January. 

About two days before I read Hillary's quote, I had decided I would just use this pink purse I love all winter. 

As I read the The Big Pink Purse on facebook, I knew I had found a project!

Kathy, the winner said " it sounds like I was putting together a health and beauty bag for charity." So, it was a bag, a handbag. This is not intended for a homeless woman. I also did not put in cosmetics since I have no idea of the complexion of the woman. I am including  a $20 for cosmetics and feminine hygiene products. 

Kathy, your prize is fall-themed dishtowels and potholder. Now, send me your address by email.

About this time last year, I purchased a red purse. I got it home and the love died in my hands. Before I could return it, I lost the shoulder strap. It had two handles. So, I looked all over for the strap and knew I was stuck with it. Oh, I found the handle in the bottom of the purse!

All was not lost, though. I planned to sell it online and recoup the entire cost. I was about to list it when I heard about the purse project. 

This is not a local project. I am just using my one purse. But, I can collect purses for next year. The purses, as you can see by the site do not have to be pink. 

I am not including all the items on the list and have added a few things I wanted to add. This project is not just for homeless women. It is for women in need, low income.

Their list: red text is where I differ

  • hand/body lotion
  • Kleenex
  • lip balm
  • deodorant
  • hand sanitizer
  • toothpaste/toothbrush (2 toothbrushes)
  • shampoo
  • body soap (Dove bar soap)
  • nail file NO
  • nail clippers
  • lipstick NO
  • mascara NO
  • powder (face and body) NO
  • floss
  • personal wipes (sanitizing and also just wipes)
  • disposable razor
  • comb/small brush round brush
  • body spray NO
  • sunscreen NO
  • bugspray NO
  • feminine hygiene products NO

Items I decided to put in the purse:

  • gum
  • 2-pack of Pop Tarts
  • tiny, sparkly, red note pad and pen in case
  • one Hershey bar
  • QTips in tiny case
  • mirror
  • pen
  • cotton balls
  • day planner
  • One a Day Vitamins
  • flashlight
  • 2 pr knee highs
  • red nail polish and why not!?
  • red bead bracelet It is almost Christmas!
  • cosmetic bag
  • handwarmers--2 
  • Vaseline
  • imPRESS Press-on nails 
  • Elevation lemon bar
  • nitrile gloves

I may put in other items. I put the shampoo and large bottle of lotion in a gallon plastic storage bag. I may buy some red gloves or a red scarf to attach to the handle. Neither will fill inside. Everything inside is new, bought just for this person, whoever she is. Okay, not all was bought for this person. I had many of the items, new and free. However, all items were full-sized and nothing used, not even the purse.

You have time to do the same thing for Christmas. The original project is for backpacks and purses, gently used. I used a brand new purse because I had it. Is this something you might do or organize for a church or charity project?

8 comments:

  1. thats great! such a worthwhile project.
    we have a similar project downunder called 'Dignity Bags', I'm organising mine at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I thought it would be of help to someone. Every woman needs a purse! or backpack. I will try to read something about your didnity bags.

      Delete
  2. That's a great project. I never heard of the Big Pink Project before. There are so many worthy ones. I usually do a similar idea in socks but they are for the homeless, or the Shoe boxes for children in Africa at Christmas. In the last few years, I've been helping the Kenyans who became internally displaced persons after election violence. I think they are most now repatriated or helped in some way but there are always many villagers that need help in Kenya (and other African countries) and of course many people in North America who need help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I found Big Pink Purse accidentally. There are so many ways to help other people!

      Delete
  3. I would have never guessed it-haven't heard of that charity. We give to our local family service and a host of other charities, us do some of the drives with our church. It is socks, hats, and mittens right now. We all should do what we can to help others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      For years I collected gloves, hats, and scarves from yard sales all year long for the homeless in Birmingham. Yes, it is that time of the year.

      Delete
  4. I think that is a wonderful project!
    I hadn't heard of the purse project, and I will check into it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      You won. Email me your address so I can send you the autumn dishtowel set.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...