Saturday, December 12, 2020

New Vacuum Cleaner, 2 Questions

 I did it. I ordered a new vacuum cleaner. I had a Kenmore from 1966 to ~1985, bought for ~$100. Then, I bought a Royal for about $500 in the mid 80s. The Kenmore only had a porous hose that I was not aware of at the time. It worked perfectly other than the leaky hose. The Royal still worked but the attachments and hose all went to the dump. 

Miele was the brand I wanted, but I went with a Kenmore since I have had good luck overall with Kenmore appliances. 

Have you ever had a Miele or Kenmore, Royal vacuum? 

Selling points: bagged, canister, HEPA filter. Price--$249. I could not find all those attributes in a cheaper vac that I trusted. 

It is advertised for pets. I have long hair, and Tommy is hairy enough to stop up his sewer line. So, maybe this will work for us.

Christmas memory: one of the first things I bought for a decoration after getting married was a little plastic tree to sit on the table. It was clear plastic, came apart and had little flattish cups on the limbs to hold Christmas candy. I think I paid about $1.50 for it, but it almost broke us. What did you buy your first Christmas that you still have or had for a long time?  

14 comments:

  1. I bought some Christmas ornaments, after Christmas in 1982. At Sears for 19 cents each on clearance. I still have them and hang them on our tree...a little red checkered reindeer, a wooden penguin, a plastic nutcracker and a tiny minnie the pooh. My daughter was 2 months old, today she is 38.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown,
      That was a fine price and such a memory! I know you cherish them. thanks. That brought tears to my eyes. Does your daughter know the story?

      Delete
  2. Our first Christmas we were in school living in married students housing that was a barracks at one time. It was tiny and cheap. We had no money for decorations so we borrowed a few from TheHub's mom and. few from mine. I painted Christmas scenes on a few mason jar lids that came from canned green beans my MIL had given us. We hung those on the tree, but we did have one single ornament I bought the summer before we were married.It was not a true Christmas ornament, but we have always used it as one. We still have it.That was the sum total of our Christmas budget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      What a sweet story. What was the single ornament you bought? We all had to scrounge a bit and do what we could to make it festive. Kids today want it all, just like our parents had after years of working.

      Delete
  3. We married in 1963. In autumn of 1965 I completed my hitch in the Air Force and we moved from Nebraska where I had been stationed at SAC Headquarters to my new job with IBM in Poughkeepsie, New York. My monthly salary of $650 was about double my pay in the Air Force, so we splurged and spent $35 (a lot of money in those days) that Christmas at the local Montgomery Ward store for a nativity set which we have used every single year since except last year and this year when we stopped decorating for Christmas. We don’t even put up a tree any more. Chalk it up to age, laziness, whatever, but not a loss of faith. Our oldest son has told us that he would like to have it for their home and we will probably give it to him eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh-what a good question and I don't really know. We received a lot of Christmassy things for our wedding in October of that year, but I'm sure I bought som ethingss then or maybe even in college that are still lingering. I know I have some gifts from y very first group of preschoolers I taught.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In junior high, there was a Christmas bazaar type thing at the school and I bought 2 handpainted eggs. I still put them on my tree every year and honestly can't believe they have never gotten broken in over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      That is a record for not breaking any breakable ornament. I suppose the paint helps protect them.

      Delete
  6. a new vacuum? That sucks! hohoho
    I have this year something I made when I was about ten years old: some containers I made in a christmas craft shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urspo,
    You made me laugh! I hope so.
    Crafts at that age? I am glad you have fingers still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha, I had to laugh at the "hairy" comments!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...