Sunday, December 13, 2020

Scariest Christmas Movie Ever

 Even though "A Wonderful Life" and the movie "A Christmas Carol" are a bit dark at times, they did not strike terror in me. And, there were no visceral reactions on my part.

The only redeeming point was that it was on my 32" TV, not on a theater screen! I would have been really undone if I were watching any place but from the safety of my bed. 

If my children were small and had been with me in a theater, I would have left, taking them with me. What was the movie? 

"The Polar Express" When that train plunged into the icy water, I felt like I was going to drown. Who ever makes a movie like this for children? I do understand the theory that children learn from movies, stories,  that frightening things are not always doom. But, this scared me beyond what I thought I was able to bear. At times I could barely breathe!

Did you think that "Polar Express" was excessively frightening and out of line for little ones? Have you ever found any Christmas movie frightening? Do tell.

Friday, it was 69F degrees here and at midnight, it was still 59F! It is unseasonably warm right now. But, I hear the weather will cool off a bit this week. We have a hard time keeping the temp where we are comfortable. Even though we keep it set for 63F, we need to bump it up a degree in the daytime because it is damp feeling in here. At night, when it is 67F and stifling, even Tommy needs the ac on! 

Yesterday, I finally got bananas after even going two times to get them...lol. I may eat a couple of extra ones today to catch up. 

So, I must go to finish and mail Christmas cards. Did not finish. sigh

14 comments:

  1. I don’t like scary movies and never have.
    And one of my grandsons can’t handle anything scary- he even got scared by the Trolls, a cartoon movie.
    We watched a Christmas movie with him last year that started out OK but the sleigh ride through NYC was terrifying even to me, we turned it off when roar started. I don’t remember the name of it.
    As I child, I couldn’t even watch all of the Wizard of Oz. As soon as the bad witch came out, I went to my room,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,
      I understand! Have you seen Polar Express?

      Delete
    2. I never saw the movie but working with an elementary reading program, the book was a favorite of the children so I had no qualms about recommending the movie to my son and daughter-in-law for my 4 year old grandson. He begged them to turn off the movie shortly after it started.
      I couldn't believe it...but many people assured me that it was awful.
      Sleep with the lights on tonight!

      Delete
    3. I'm 69 and have never kept my eyes open through the entire Wizard of Oz. Guess I'm a wimp too.

      Delete
    4. Jan,
      I am glad to hear others think The Polar Express was awful, too. It was disturbing!

      Delete
  2. I just remember being scared watching the Wizard of Oz, when I was a kid. When my dd was young she wouldn't even watch any "fantasy" type movie with me - they all seemed to scare her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      It seems that the fantasy type movies have the ability to make fantastical things happen which is frightening, not obeying any of the physical laws we have grown to trust. I can see why she would be afraid. Ask her if she has seen Polar Express.

      Delete
  3. You are not the first to say this is one scary movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Until this post, I have heard no one say that Polar Express is scary. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Have not seen Polar Express, but as a kid was scared of "The Wizard of Oz" and terrified of "King Kong". Had nightmares about gorillas throughout my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      If you see Polar Express, let me know how it goes. Too bad about the gorilla dreams.

      Delete
  5. I didn't like Polar express either. Too much uncanny valley for me. I thought the characters were creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy,
      We just watched half of it again. When the news came on half way through, I was done. Everything about it was creepy, colors, sets, characters.

      Delete
  6. I didn't think about the Polar Express as being scary. Hmm, I will have to think about it the next time I see it.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...