Friday, December 11, 2020

Three Part Christmas Story: Part One; BOGOs

Thursday, the temp got up to 69F, maybe to 70F. It certainly felt warm like summer. I went to The Pig because I thought it was Wednesday and 5% off for seniors. There was nothing on sale. The ads do not come in the mail or the pink bag. Usually, there is something and it is not far, so no problem.

We used our free BK coupons for fries. They were too hot to safely eat, so pretty good--our treat for the day. 

I found Lysol wipes and Clorox wipes and could only get two, so Tommy ventured into Publix and got two, also. Now, I will not have to look for these. Done. 

I have a mental list I look for every time I go into any store. Do you? 

Friday, I went to Publix after I got an ad and bought several BOGOs. 

Russel Stover sugar-free candy with stevia. I got one package of dark chocolate and one of mint, sort of like York Peppermint Patties. I thought I was getting coconut. Originally $4, I got two packages for that price. And, there were only six pieces in each bag! 

uncle Ben's Original Parboiled Rice $8.67 for 5 lbs. I bought two 5-lb bags for that price--10 lbs. $0.87/lb. 

I use Kraft Italian Shredded Cheese for my taco casserole which sort of ends up like taco soup. Today it was $4.49 for 8 ounces. I got two bags for that price, $2.25 each. 

I needed milk so paid $4.49 for a half gallon of a2milk and bought three. My receipt informs me I saved $14.15. Cheese and rice will be frozen. 

Tonight I am cooking a pan of Russet potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and onions with kielbasa. Tommy and I both love this. The potatoes will only make up a small portion of this and there will be leftovers for two more meals. 

When my children were two- and four-years-old, I decided to add something new to Christmas. We had an old horse collar or something leather with huge bells on it. I gathered the two children on my son's bed and read "The Night Before Christmas" to him (3.5) and his sister (1.5). I had turned off the tv and all was quiet. 

My husband took the bells outside the window and said loudly, "HO HO HO!" as he rang the bells. 

I will publish the other edition later. 

Did you have a special Christmas tradition to share?



12 comments:

  1. Mo always woke us up the month of December by playing Christmas carols on the piano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo? Mom? How nice to wake up every morning for a month with Christmas carols. Love it.

      Delete
  2. We have a set of "reindeer bells" my hubby got from when he was a kid. We did the same thing when ours were little. He'd go outside the window and ring them and the kids would think Santa was out there on the roof. Hopefully some day we can pass these down to dd for her kids....if she ever has any LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      It was a good tradition! I am sure your daughter will have kids to enjoy the tradition some day. It was fun! Wait until you hear the next episode.

      Delete
  3. I can’t even put a single memory out there-so many and we blended our traditions and made our own. Books at night, appetizer suppers, Advent calendars... so many and we constantly add new activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      You probably under pressure to remember...lol. I am sure you have some special ones.

      Delete
  4. my parents fought every single Christmas eve, it was their anniversary. Christmas morning they would be singing.Then we would have to wait to open our presents while we drove for hours (4-5) to deliver Christmas gifts to Mother's side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Too bad! None of it sounds great, but I suppose none of it was a surprise after a few years. I am sorry that happened. We would have died if we had to wait to open presents.

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a neat tradition about your dh ringing the bells outside the window, I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a lot of traditions; you inspired a blog post thank you
    One to share here: Christmas eve always has a birthday cake for Baby Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I am surprised when people don't have any traditions. And, we never had a cake for Jesus.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...