Thursday, January 14, 2021

This and That

The poinsettia was losing leaves except for the red ones. I put it on the front porch and it appears not to be affected by the cold. Weird. There was no use trying to grow it since there is no light in here to nurture a plant.

We had another dishwashing marathon tonight. I just told Tommy to come on and he missed part of his program without a word. I had tried to not make him miss anything.  The dishwasher comes on January 20.

We keep the thermostat at 64F day and night and both go barefoot most of the time. He is usually in his underwear and often in khakis and without his shirt. We do have blankets we use very seldom when watching tv. Nightgowns are my day wear. Usually. The one constant for me is a jacket that pilled and is of no use for wearing to store. 

When we leave, we sometimes turn the thermostat lower than 64. When either of us bathes or I wash my hair, we turn it up to 66 or 68. The house is brick and very tight. I suspect that there is no insulation under the house from the breeze on the floor some days. But, we don't require much heat, obviously.

The clean refrigerator with crispers and the missing shelf replaced makes storing food a dream. Nothing is stacked. We now have three of the little Dollar Tree bins in the shelves and a bowl for the Halos. We can both find what we want. I marvel at it every time I open the door. Even Tommy likes it. He could not have been happy with the filth and stacks of food in there. 

Often, I must search for Glide Original Dental Floss in stores. I order a package of six for less than four would cost me. I am slowly becoming less dependent on shopping in stores. I love it not shopping. I would have never suspected not going into stores could be so good for me. 

When I was going into the grocery about two weeks ago, Tommy said to me, "Oh, I am out of cereal." It seems he ran out that morning. I have asked him to let me know when he opens the last box, but obviously he is not doing that. Once I found cereal very cheap and ended up getting him 17 boxes. He was livid. I will stock up again, not 17 boxes, but at least a half dozen boxes. He uses a box or more each week at a rate of 2 cups each morning. 

The cheap gloves I bought were not for general wearing. Tommy has to hold onto the luggage rack to get out and get gas. And, he cleans the car windows on frosty days. So, he can use the gloves. I had an ice scraper he can use instead of an old credit card. So, now his hands don't freeze so much. I felt for him. I have to hold onto the metal railing on the ramp to get down it safely. My hands were so cold and some gloves get soaked on damp days. So, the cheap gloves were for holding the ramp. At my house, the iron railing down the side steps were cold and often wet, too. But, I only had to hold onto the railing in three places, not 30 feet down the ramp! 

Thursday morning, I have an appointment with ENT. Maybe I can figure out what is wrong with my ear since the pain seems related to the abscessed tooth. I took 5 boxes of Azithromycin. After each box my dizziness and pain returned. Tinnitus is roaring away as I type. 

It is 9 am and I need to put two packages of chicken breasts in the oven and get it out and stored. My hair needs washing, and it would be good if I cut it and layered it this morning and made the appointment later. 

Of course, the TV captivates me nowadays. None of the content is good stuff. I need to get started.





8 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to figure out why Tommy was angry that you bought 17 boxes of his favorite cereal when it was on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Me Too! It was on sale and with a coupon, so ultra cheap.

      Delete
  2. my daughter had a bad earache & it turned out she had an infected tooth, but had no pain in the tooth. I hope your ENT can get it sorted quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Interesting! I am hoping this highly recommended doctor can sort it out before it gets worse.

      Delete
  3. Maybe he was looking for variety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Actually, variety is not a big draw for him. But, he has several he likes and these boxes were the largest variety I had ever bought. So, he has no idea what he is fussing about.

      Delete
  4. I like to grocery shop, tho I try to go only once a week. It is my outing. Sometimes we just take a drive to the Mennonite store north of us for a few things. We use Google maps to find the least active day and never go Friday, Sat. or Sunday. Finally got DH trained to let me know enough ahead of time if he needs something tho he orders his own special cereal online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind shopping and actually enjoy certain aspects. What I don't enjoy is the electric carts that are so few and broken or in use. Plus, nowadays, so much is not on the shelves. AND, I want to get out of the store soon. Plus, I don't want to catch covid19. And, then there is Tommy waiting in the car. He is never anxious about how long I take and never says a word about the time. He does look like a good target sitting in the car.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...