Monday, February 8, 2021

Today's Stuff

 Today, we went out to the hated big box. I now sit in the parking lot and wait for an electric cart to come out. I no longer go into the store, walking too much, and fretting, sitting, or coming back to the car without  an electric cart. We just start off roaming the parking lot and then sitting and watching. 

Today, we spied an electric cart and went to the other end of the parking lot to snag it. As we got there, the woman on the cart was not moving. I asked for the cart when she was through with it. She told me to meet her at the bus stop. We drove behind her to keep someone from hitting her as she did not bother to move to one side. 

She was an elderly, black woman with four bags. She was not big as a minute. I got out of the car and stood by her and watched for cars. I helped her get her rollator out of the basket of the electric cart. A woman near the store had helped her put it in the cart. 

I rescued her coffee cup full of coffee, lying in the cart. She was upset it had fallen over. A young woman on the bus came out and helped her. The elderly woman told me to help her I could put her bags in a seat on the bus. I had to tell her I could not get on the bus. She assured me they would let me on. She looked me up and down when I told her I was not capable of getting on the bus. Well, I could but not with four bags and one holding a cup of coffee. Someone would need to help me! She was in disbelief, but I told her it was my back. 

The young woman got her and the walker on the curb and up the bus steps. I drove back to Tommy's car  in the cart and got a Publix tote bag and rode back to the bus, waving the bag so someone would see me. The driver did see me and must have sent the young woman out to me. I told her the woman needed a bag, so give this one to her. 

It felt good all over to be able to give her a bag to help with her purchases. When you think you have problems, just consider having to ride a bus with bags and walker. Hopefully, someone back home watches out for her. Maybe not. 

I bought little. 

The Ball regular lids and bands were on the shelves, so I purchased one box of a dozen lids and bands. The Ball leak-proof, black lids were on the shelf, so I bought a package of four. Well, I thought I did. What I bought was four 4-oz storage jars and the leak-proof lids. 

For storage, I bought one can of petite-diced tomatoes and a can of Armour chili, no beans. And, there was chocolate in heart-shaped boxes that found their way into my bags. At another store we bought Dasani water and one package of bologna for the freezer. 

8 comments:

  1. The winnings-canning jars! It was good of you to look out for your fellow neighbor. You are right-count our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM
      I was thrilled to see lids and rings are back. I need no jars for a long time, just lids, really. She looked so vulnerable. Who could not volunteer to help her? Not I. Most of us are sooo lucky.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got some canning and storage lids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thanks. Me too. I was shocked to see them. It has been so long.

      Delete
  3. Seeing how many people helped that lady in the electric cart shows there are good people around. However I can't imagine how difficult it must be for her to rely on the "availability" of good people just to get her most basic needs met!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot remember when I last had bologna - childhood perhaps.
    I wonder if it tastes what I remember it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I try not to eat it often. I often don't succeed.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...