Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Bluebird of Happiness

 Okay, I have a bluebird and I am happy. I saw this one hanging in a tree at my friend's house when we ate in their backyard two weeks ago. She was going to get the pattern for me. But, her friend cannot find the pattern. I am going to make a pattern and then make a bluebird or two. I think I might just sell these. I intend to use free scraps of 2x4s. Then, and eye for the top for a piece of wire and a spray of blue and it will be done.

Tomorrow, come hell or high water, I am going to learn how to post a picture on here. 

So, we went to Cullman today. I got my mail, picked up the bird, ate lunch and watched my feet swell. That is always fun. 

The sky was broody looking on the way up, but the clouds cleared and it was the most beautiful day with a dark blue sky and white fluffy clouds. It was day to make my heart sing. 

Since I need a bed and have had no luck finding a used one, I went online, decided I could look in an Ashley store, and did just that. The iron bed was $100 less in the store. I will not quit looking for a used bed until the day I buy the bed. I also found a comfortable chair at a reasonable price, but I am sure the quality is low. 

Trust me, I can find plenty of beds, but not one with a footboard that comes above the mattress. My sheets and blankets fall/slide every which way without a footboard to help hold them in place.  I am too old to deal with this. I cannot give a sheet or blanket a flip to get the sheet or anything else across the bed. But, I am still looking for an old, cheap used bed to use as is or paint. 

I went into two no-name stores and found nothing. Who likes a bed with only a headboard and no footboard? Not me. 

16 comments:

  1. Have fun making the birds. I'll enjoy looking at the finished product. I'm wondering if you would considering using sheet clips to hold our sheets in place if you cannot find a bed like you want. It might not work for you because you have to bed over to put them in place but they are not expensive and if you haven't tried already it might be good to try while you are looking for a bed. Personally I like a bed with no headboard and no footboard. I use a small quilt above my bed to give it interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful,
      I have sheet clips, but this fitted sheets has elastic all the way around and will stay on the bed. They will not work to hold a blanket on the bed or the top sheet. Right, cannot bend to do that. I am not worried about interest, just a headboard and footboard. My pillow falls off the top of the bed. Sheet gets pulled three feet about where it should be and blankets fall off the foot and to one side. I cannot sleep at night for mattress sliding off the side and sheets off the end. It is so frustrating. I lie very still and never move in my sleep, so I am not thrashing around. Just getting on and off his bed.

      Delete
  2. p.s. I forgot to mention that you could probably find the sheet clips at Walmart or on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I DESPISE the "Hollywood" bed look. I also dislike the platform beds. All our beds are headboard/footboards. I found full size headboard/footboard sets with rails (rusty, but hey, they fit) for our kids at thrift shops for under $20.00. Apparently, headboard/footboard sets which need rails, are no longer wanted. Also, very few people care for the full size, preferring to go up to a queen size. One caveat--some of the sets require a board across the bottom, or at least some shims, to keep the base from falling through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meg B,
      So, we think the same on this issue! I have been reading about these bases and boards to support the mattress. I am confused about those. I really just want and need an old bed. I want rail, even rusty ones.

      Delete
    2. Well, the boards, what are called "Bunkie boards" keep the mattress on the rails without a base (or box spring). I don't use those. What I was talking about is this: I have mattress and box sets, but, for some reason, they fall through the older headboard/footboard sets without a 2x4 (or 3) or some shims wedged between the mattress and lip of the metal rails that hold the footboard to headboard. If you want a full size, you should be able to find a headboard/footboard and rails secondhand with no problem. One of my sets was $7.50, the other $12.50 for hard rock maple. Another was given to me by an elderly couple who were moving to Arizona, provided I took the mattress and box springs with it. I know that sounds gross, but, while old, that set had been slept upon all of about 3 times, as it was in their guest room. (Nice, pillowtop mattress.) Girl took that mattress with her when she moved back with her mother, so I am now short a full mattress. I had one ordered in November from Macy's, but they postponed me until February, so I cancelled the order. DH says to just get a boxed, memory foam mattress, but, even for a guest room, I think memory foam is foul stuff, so I am waiting/keeping my eye out for a sale at the stores.

      Delete
    3. Meg B.,
      Thanks for the explanation. I got a mattress the same way, rarely used and from people I knew. That is the price I want to pay for a bed! I would not have any kind of foam in my house! Mattress sales are on now--President's Day.

      Delete
  4. look for vintage beds to find foot boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      The ones I look at are very old, but no footboards.

      Delete
  5. I do not like a footboard at all. and really am not that keen on a headboard. Some beds here have them and some don't. Our bed is one that doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am confused about your pillows falling off the bed. Isn't your bed up against a wall? How do the pillows fall off?

    And, are you tucking your top sheet and blankets in under the mattress? How could they fall off if they are tucked in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He put it about 6 inches from the wall. Remember, the mattress slides off the bed?

      Delete
  7. A proper bed is a must as our health depends on good sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Yes, and I have trouble sleeping because of bed and temperature in the room.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...