Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Dog Tags

Tommy and I were talking and one thing led to another. It was an interesting journey, but I won't go there. At any rate, he mentioned dog tags and I asked him if he ever had dog tags. I remember wanting them and having them, a fad I supposed from this distance.  He said all the kids were given dog tags by the school during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. He was in the third grade and I was a junior in high school. I should remember this if we were given dog tags. Does anyone else remember being given dog tags during this time? Do you know anyone who was given dog tags by the school? Did you get dog tags for this crisis?

Okay, I read all about the dog tags in 1962 on the internet. But, I have no recollection of being given one. Did you?

The last comment on yesterday's post was asking if I rented Tommy out. He laughed. And, I just found out he thinks Parmesan cheese stinks. That is a shock! I am still smiling over his new job of organizing refrigerators. I could set up a route and he could go from refrigerator to refrigerator, organizing refrigerators for people. He does not clean, but he is a great organizer. I appreciate that.

Shingles just won't let up. There is a numbish area from ear to corner of mouth.  And, there is a numb place on my cheekbone, high near my eye. And, I have started to drool a bit! This is not good. Mayo clinic site about shingles connects this with Bell's Palsy somehow.  It is not an all out drool, just excessive moisture in the left corner of my mouth. This numbness and tendency to drool a bit has been going on for a couple of months and seems more frequent. 

The PhD nurse called and now I have an appointment with a neurologist. Will this never end? 

I am now scheduling Tommy for organizing refrigerators. Who's next? Who remembers dog tags for the Cuban Missile Crisis?

12 comments:

  1. I am 76 🙀, was raised in California. Never remember getting a dog tag!
    I started drooling some about the time I turned 75. Not often but annoying. I keep tissues close by just in case! Don’t know your age but maybe it’s an age thing!
    PS! Would love someone to organize my fridge. My husband fusses about all the jars in there to push around to find what he’s looking for!!
    Pat/Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jpark22,
      I am 74. I had a dog tag when I was about 4th grade, but it was just a fad. This is not a full drool, still on mouth. With the numbness in my face, I just need to know. I hope it is not an age thing! Of course, I don't want a real problem. I try to keep jars on the door! I cannot see when I bend because of bifocals. Plus, back won't allow it. Thanks. I had to know about the dog tags. I see you live in Texas.

      Delete
  2. I grew up here and never remember dog tags being given out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Maybe you were not in school in 1962. He still has his somewhere.

      Delete
  3. In 1962 I was in Junior High, then High School in California. No dog tags here and never heard of anyone getting them. It must have been decided by individual school districts. I think most parents would freak out over the implication, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Let me tell you, I was horrified when he told me he was given dog tags during the crisis! I just asked Tommy what he thought. He said it was to identify his body. He did not know what the hell was going on.

      Delete
  4. I remember having them in the early 70's, but from what I recall we could order them, if we wanted, through school. I remember having a bracelet tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I remember something similar, but before 1962 and crisis. Tommy shrugged his shoulders when I asked him if it did not scare him to know the dog tags were to identify his body. I guess when you are a seven-year-old boy, you are just thrilled to have a dog tag. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I was in the Air Force during the Cuban Missile Crisis, so I definitely had dog tags, the real kind. You have given me an idea for a blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. no I have never heard of such.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...