Thursday, March 4, 2021

Vick's Vaporub

 I am a heavy user of Vick's Vaporub. I discovered it is a great itch reliever. So, it is applied to itchy places on my legs. I can scratch until I am bruised and bloody. Plus, it works to soften elbow skin. Unless I lean on a counter or cart, my elbows stay soft and creamy looking. But, I lean on the counter too often lately. And, I really don't care if I smell like Vick's! 

I discovered it was good for mosquito and flea bites, making them less itchy. Vick's even keep mosquitoes away. So, I could smear it all over me to stop mosquitoes from landing. But, I don't. I just dab it in a few places on legs and arms to create an aura around me. 

Do you use Vick's Vaporub? For what? Have you ever used it for an itch?

By the way, for those of you who think I am taking over his life and meddling in Tommy's business, remember this. 

He was standing in four inches of water when he showered when I came here. The water did not drain from the tub between showers. There was always two inches when he went to take another shower. He said it was his business. Well, it was until the commode overflowed and black nastiness came up into the bathtub. That cost a plumber visit, about $800 and two men hours of working. 

Because he would not get it clear to the road, it overflowed AGAIN and I had to clean up the bathroom floor. The first time, I had been here maybe two months, and he screamed and yelled that my long hair stopped up the sewer. The plumber said it was a bad plug forty years in the making! When a shower/tub would not drain, it is a problem that he refused to acknowledge. Plus, the kitchen sink took an hour to drain. I did try to unclog everything with him yelling at me! So, there is the other reason I did not wash dishes.

He does nothing to maintain his home. The only things he will do have me as a catalyst. He did not even wash dishes! Three windows are bare! I will fix that.

Wednesday night, we had a can of Roast Beef and Gravy, cooked potatoes, tomatoes. I could not face cooking.

Thursday, we are going on a picnic with his cousin who is going stir crazy. He travelled for business before he retired and is very gregarious, so none of the isolation is sitting well with him. The forecast is for 70, so it should be a pretty day. KFC is on the menu, so I will really enjoy the picnic.  Cousin called. Picnic cancelled. 

18 comments:

  1. nick's works on mild athlete's foot, according to friend's podiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ionibelle,
      I tried it when I thought I might have athlete's foot. It helped whatever I had.

      Delete
  2. Sorry the picnic you were planning was cancelled.

    I have many days when I just can't even stand to think about what to cook. We have not had any food not cooked by me since last year at the beginning of March when Covid struck. We do buy Frozen dinners that I don't have to actually cook, but the rest of what we eat I cook. Other people don't get sick from eating carry out, but I just don't trust it, apparently I have issues.

    I have used Vicks since childhood, My grandma and grandpa used it everynight before they went to bed. It really works for loosening a cold in the chest, or cough in the throat. Only use it on the skin, never put it in the mouth. I mention that because my Grandpa put a little gob of it on his finger and put it on the back of his tongue every night.. Just a few years ago, I learned no one should ever do that. It can cause Aspiration Pneumonia. So please don't do that. I guess my Grandpa was lucky, he lived to be 88 years old, Vicks and all. It does work well for itching on legs and arms, and softens elbows like the most expensive moisturizer.

    I always wonder how my mom did all of the cooking for so many years. When I was growing up, we never went to restaurants. In the summer, sometimes on the way home from spending the weekend on the river getting sunburned and exhausted, we would stop and get burgers, fries and shakes. It tasted so good, and my Mom enjoyed it more than she would have enjoyed a fine French Restaurant.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I am just getting sick of thinking about what to cook! If I will eat inside a place, I suppose I won't get sick eating carry out. If my back did not hurt so, cooking would not be such a chore.

      I put Vick's under my nose. My sister held it in her mouth. We knew nothing about aspiration pneumonia and Vicks, either. I don't use it every night for itching or chest problems. I suppose I should.

      I wonder how my mother stood all the cooking, standing, housework, ironing, washing, hanging out clothes, and five kids. I think women love anything they don't have to cook! I am certainly feeling that way.

      Delete
  3. Vicks is the best. I have astham and it helps me breathe. It is also good to put under your nose to not smell skunk spray. I always keep an extra jar. They have a special one for babies now and then one for kids. Smells a little different, helps with colds and coughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I, too, have asthma. I gave Tommy a Kleenex or something with about three tablespoons of Vicks when he was going in to take food from my freezer that broke in the summer and it was weeks before I knew it. I wonder what is the difference in the formulas. Thanks. I did not know that.

      Delete
  4. Baby Vicks has no camphor and its base is a combo of petroleum jelly and coconut oil. It also has lavender. I bought some and like it much better than the original (unless I feel really ill and then nothing beats the real thing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard recently on TV that the only medicine available during the Spanish Flu epidemic was Bayer Aspirin and Vicks Vapor Rub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      Thanks for that bit of info. I had never heard that. Interesting! I doubt we are doing any better with all our otc meds.

      Delete
  6. my oldest uses vick's on the bottom of her feet then puts socks on any time she doesn't feel well. Daddy always used on his nose, forehead when down with allergies. He would also put a extremely small dab of Vaseline in his nose to keep it from drying during the winter.My Primary doctor also suggested I do the same.

    I finally got my bulk canning lids in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I forgot to say that I put Vick's on the bottom of my feet to fight a cough so I can sleep at night. I also put Vicks on/in nostrils for night.

      Delete
  7. I've always loved Vicks and use it for the same things that you do. It works great on mosquito bites. DH likes to joke about my Vicks, but he's learned to start using it too, when he needs it...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma. Goose,
      It is a miracle. Tommy did not have any nor did he need it, but I sent a jar home with him and now he uses it daily.

      Delete
  8. Garrison Keillor calls VV one of the sacraments of the Lutheran church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That is hilarious. I never heard that. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...