Wednesday, March 3, 2021

A Rock to the Windshield

 We were driving along I-65, heading north, minding our own business when I saw it coming. The rock was about the size of a golf ball but rough and not round. It was huge and at the angle it was coming, I was going to get hit if it came through the windshield. It left a big ding and me shook up. 

We are not sure if it was thrown up by the truck tire or fell off the truck. But, the ding joins another two we have collected. And, Tommy won't have it repaired. grrr He said it shook him up, too. 

One day, he was waiting for me while I was in the hospital. When I came out, he was very agitated, wanting to know if I knew when the whole windshield cracked because of several dings present. It must have cracked while he was sitting, waiting for me. It was spectacularly cracked all across the windshield like a lightning strike. It had had two dings waiting to grow and grow it did. He did have it replaced the next day. I was afraid it would collapse into a million pieces on his drive home. 

Do you get many rock dings? Do you get them on certain roads or situations?

I did not sleep well Monday night. Well, I woke at 5:30 am and could not go back to sleep. I stayed up after Tommy awoke for about 3 hours and took a long nap. 

However, I did manage to accomplish a few things. I had put dishes in the dishwasher Monday night, including some new wide-mouth quart jars. They are new but bought last year. Tuesday, they were clean and dry, so I am using them for canisters for bulk items--sugar, powdered sugar, oatmeal. I had meant to put flour in one, but forgot and put oatmeal in it. So, now I need to wash one for flour. I rarely use powdered sugar, so not sure why I put it out. 

For the last few days, I have mentioned I wanted to wash the nasty ashtray by Tommy's chair. Well, he said it was emptied of trash, so I could take it. I did. It is almost clean.There are no nasty big black places. Now, there is just a smidgen of gray. It still smells. I think a soak in vinegar and baking soda will complete the job. 

Slowly, the counters appear less cluttered. 

The tulips are spent. That was two weeks of pleasure. Hopefully, I can grow tulips in a pot with these bulbs. 

I heated chicken thigh and cabbage for Tommy and made Suddenly Salad and grape tomatoes. I just had SS, tomatoes, and cabbage.  I think I have chicken breast cooked somewhere for tomorrow. 

So, rock dings on the windshield stories?


15 comments:

  1. I have had mine either fixed where they fill it with the stuff (insurance covers it) or if it can't be fixed then my insurance covered the replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      His insurance is $100 deductible, so he waits for it to crack all over. Plus, I have offered to get the stuff from Auto Zone to diy and he is adamant about leaving it alone.

      Delete
  2. If it is his car, I guess it is his decision to leave the dings alone. Personally I take mine when I get a little ding and have them filled with whatever they use to fill them (some resinlike substance?) so they don't crack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It is a possible safety issue and I ride in the car, so I suppose I have an opinion that is valid. He did not get a commode replace for about ten years that no longer flushed. He has allowed many things to get worse. He drove a car for several years with a hood that was only tied with yarn. He has the same attitude about it being his. However, the police might have a different opinion! I will still complain and convince him.

      Delete
  3. I have had a rock to my windshield several times because of passing trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once had a bolt fall from the sky and landed on the windshield cracking it. I was downtown running an errand for work. There was high rise construction all over the place. It was my boss's car unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      A bolt from the blue? I am glad they did not drop a heavy tool. That would be scary. He probably was glad it was you and not him.

      Delete
  5. We have a terrible time out west here especially with log trucks. When Joel was working full time out in the woods we never had a windshield with out a chip or a crack. We only replaced them when they crack clear across our vision level. It was just too expensive. However we did always take them to a rock chip place and had them glued and sometimes they still cracked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I fear a catastrophic fail of cracked windows. He backed into a suv last week and jarred us something terribly. We have trucks carrying rocks from quarry to job.

      Delete
  6. Hubby and I traveled to New Orleans for vacation a few years ago. I had just bought my SUV the month or six weeks before. I have a rock ding just above my line of sight on the driver's side from the trip home. May have been on I-65 in Alabama on our way back north.

    His car has a very recent chip from a trip to Nashville, also on I-65.

    I like the idea of jars for dry storage! I have regular "pretty" containers for those things, but use a gallon ziplock inside so the actual container doesn't get dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice,
    It seems I-65 is the culprit for us. Both his dings are in line of sight.

    I had Tupperware, yellow ones, for storage but inside the cabinet. I had the jars, so not buying anything else. It works to keep the contents safe. That is all I care about right now.

    Don't give up on I-65.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we go -anywhere- we utilize I-65. KY has done a pretty good job of making it better over the last decade. Three lanes on each side for a good portion of the state (maybe all of it now?). The TN portion of I-65 - especially north of Nashville - needs work. It's awful. But a necessary evil, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Alice,
      Yes, that is where we most often drive, interstate-wise. Lately, I have not been north of Nashville.

      Delete
  8. Rocks hit ~ every 2-3 years, which is good as rocks are everywhere here.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...