Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Wouldn't you know?

 My allergist office called me to tell me they had vaccines! So, I could have gotten the vaccine in an atmosphere and location where my allergist was present. I would have felt safer. But, I took a deep breath on Monday, and decided I would just go ahead with the opportunity I had at the time. 

The injection site is about the same as for an antibiotic injection, and a lot less painful than flu vaccine. Tommy's is painful, but he thinks it is because he uses muscles to push his walker and lift heavy things. 

Tuesday, I went to Publix  to buy four things. I came home with more and had spent $60.

*sausage patties bogo

*smoked ham center slice

cups

white grapes

*Italian salad greens

*grape tomatoes

*celery $0.99

coleslaw mix

*strawberries

*2 lbs butter

*3 Grands! Buttermilk biscuits

*3 Philadelphia Cream Cheese 

*jellybeans

*cranberry sauce 

Welch's Grape Juice

bananas

The sausage patties were on sale bogo and were cheaper than the roll. I am going to make and freeze sausage biscuits with Grands! for Tommy so he won't stop for one on the way out of town. I was shocked I spent $60, but have bought little the last two or three weeks. If grape juice and wine are good for the heart, I opt for the grape juice.

I have ammended the Easter menu...lol. We will have ham, slaw, green bean casserole, fruit salad, and sweet potatoes. If I add more, okay. It could all change! I bought the ham slice because it was on sale and we have not had ham in ages. Tommy won't eat deviled eggs, so I am going to take two boiled eggs and make deviled eggs for me. I will also color eggs. 

I was looking on my shelves and found a cannister of french fried onions. the best by date is Jan 21, so it is time and they still taste good. 

After having only about two hours sleep on Monday night, I did not take a nap on Tuesday. But, I went to bed at 10:30 and slept until 3:45. That is the best I have slept in ages. Of course, I took a leftover opiod from the tooth extraction. That is not the way to go, and I only have four left. sigh

Are you adding or subracting, generally reworking your menu for Easter? What will you eat on Easter? Is anyone else cooking for your meal?

12 comments:

  1. We are going to my mom and dads house for Easter. I am making a free turkey from Thanksgiving and a free ham that my husband was given. I will slice both for sandwiches. Then others will be contributing cheesy potatoes, fruit salad, lemon bars, deviled eggs, chips and drinks. It works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ham, cheesy potatoes, vegetables, dinner rolls. Just three of us, so sides made on Saturday and just need to be baked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I am soooo hungry and that just sounds delicious. I will make the fruit salad on Saturday, heat the ham on Sunday, put together the green bean casserole on Saturday, and bake sweet potatoes on Friday. I really need to go and put dinner on to reheat.

      Delete
  3. I went yesterday to buy a bag of 2 chickens as they were on sale. They were completely out so maybe I will buy a small ham though I already bought things to make stuffing for chicken and cranberry sauce. I'm planning a simple, no fuss meal (roast whole chicken, mashed potato, stuffing, side salad and condiments including cranberry sauce) and chicken fits the bill for that. If I do ham I guess it will be some beans or brussels sprouts, roasted ham, sweet potato and russet potato mashed and side salad. I am not sure about dessert but won't be making from scratch.

    I'm glad you and Tommy got your shot. I got my first one today. Glad it's over with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could just have breast or other pieces, bake and have the original meal you planned. Or maybe they will get more chickens. I agree about not from scrath dessert. It sould yummy.

      It feels good to get the first vaccine and know another is waiting.

      Delete
    2. I returned Wednesday night but there were no more chickens. I checked over the turkey pieces that were on offer but didn't like the looks or the prices. It would be better for me to buy a whole turkey but I don't feel like cooking a whole bird. I ended up buying a ham. I'll save the cranberry sauce and turkey dressing ingredients for next Christmas, lol. Well I'll probably have used the dressing ingredients before then with chicken but will save the cranberry sauce. I didn't get dessert yet. I saw a very yummy one to make on You Tube with berries and boxes caramel pudding. Even though I said it wouldn't be from scratch this one is easy but I don't have a mold so maybe it will wait for another day.

      Delete
    3. Any dessert, bought or homemade would be fine. I can even have fruit salad for dessert and be happy. Our stores are full of chicken. But, we live in the land of chicken houses and processing plants.

      Delete
  4. I haven't finalized the menu at all, because I'm not sure how many I'll be cooking for. Some type of meat, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, macaroni and cheese. Those things are certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      That is a good way to go.I love the certain items.

      Delete
  5. I never cook for Easter. It's only 3 of us, so we dine out. Last year we just picked up the food from the restaurant and brought it home to eat, after taking a long drive.

    I did bake Hot Cross Buns for today. It's traditional for us to eat hot cross buns & pickled fish on Good Friday. I don't eat seafood, so we skip the pickled fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Goose,
      You are smart. I am not doing a lot as you see.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...