Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Vaccinated!

 Sunday night, I went to bed at 10:30,  a new for me when I am well. Then, I slept soundly until 3:30. Sleep did not come again. At 7:45 I got up and washed my hair and we were gone by 9:15. The cloudles, sunny day was very pleasant. 

We had to drive to Cullman to get our first Covid vaccine. I was giddy after it was over. My reaction to the relief from stress that is medical is to become giddy and ravenous.  This has happened before. 

I could not even feel the injection in my right arm. Tommy said it hurt. It has been almost twelve hours and I have a tiny spot that hurts like any injection. It is a nothing to me. 

Of course, the really bad reaction I had to a tetanus vaccine did not occur until 24 hours later. So, I suppose I will just wait and see. 

Now, at almost 10 pm, I am ready for bed. 

Tonight, Monday, I put 10 chicken legs in the crock pot. In a cooking bag I put 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and 10 filetted thighs and 1 leg. Yes, I cooked a few meals tonight and emptied three packages of meat. 

For dinner, I had half a breast and Tommy had 2 very tiny  filleted thighs.  He will only eat one thigh from now on. We had a salad of baby greens and grape tomatoes. 

The chicken cooked in the oven is done and frozen. Tuesday morning Tommy will take the meat off the 10 legs and I will freeze that.  Tomorrow, I think I will cook an oven full of sweet potatoes. 

Tuesday, my arm was itching during the night, so when I went to the bathroom, I took the bandaid off and looked at my arm. The only problem was a huge red place where one side of the bandaid was still stuck to my arm. It looks like I was branded. I AM ALLERGIC TO BANDAID TAPE! I knew that.   Plus, the nurse put the tape, not the pad, over the injection site. So, I have had no reaction to the Pfizer vaccine. I know not to allow a bandaid to remain on my skin!  Tommy said his arm is throbbing. It has been over 24 hours since the vaccine, so I hope these are the only signs we had it. I certainly don't call my bandaid burn a reaction at all. What were your reactions. 

I cannot believe after so many calls and websites, that I finally got an appointment so easily. So, I am off to Publix to get sale items--cream cheese, celery, salad greens. Somewhere, I will get grapes and slaw mix. Maybe Piggly Wiggly. I will look at ham, too. I don't want to be shopping later in the week due to crowds and shortages. There will be no other ads before Easter. 

Have you finished Easter shopping? 


19 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting vaccinated. It must be a weight off your mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great weight off my mind. I had been trying so hard before and felt a bit dejected.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious about your preparing sweet potatoes ahead of time. How do you serve them later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I oven bake them in the skin and eat them from the skin/peeling. For later, I just store them in the refrigerator and heat them in the microwave. I also freeze the sweet potato by taking the flesh out so I can heat it later. Put the amount for a meal in a freezer bag and mash flat. It stores easily and thaws quickly.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you received the vaccine!! I got the Moderna and had some trouble with it, but am glad to have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      Me too! I was worried about the extreme, life threatening reaction I once had to a vaccine. I hope your problems with the vaccine soon abate.

      Delete
  4. I too am glad you got your vaccination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news on getting the vaccination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a relief to get your vaccination. I have an ear nose throat doctor appointment this week, so we will now stop trying to get our vaccinations until after I see if I will need steroids or what for this laryngitis. As soon as I find out, we will be back to trying to line up our vaccinations. Around here they have a lot of mass vaccinations where one has to do a lot of walking. I am unable to walk that far. If for some reason I can't get the vaccination, I think my husband should go ahead and get his vaccination. We also have been trying to get on the email list at Walmart, CVS, and Rite Aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I was prescribed a steroid but did not take it because of wanting to get the vaccine. I understand. I went to a mass vaccination site at a hospital where they have valet service, so someone brought out a wheelchair and wheeled me down to the room for the vaccine. Then, a nurse wheeled me back to the curb. Since I don't need help getting in and out of wheelchair and car, they are willing. Maybe you can find this type site. I was also given a wheelchair, so I can use it if a place does not have a wheelchair. I walk just fine from house to car, but no further. My back won't handle it.

      Delete
  7. We got our first Pfizer vaccines in early February and our 2nd ones on March 8th. I had no reaction at all. Ellie had a little redness and some soreness in her arm for about a day. I wonder how long these vaccinations are going to be good for. I hope we won’t have to get one every year like the flu shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I will gladly take a vaccine for covid every year. I am glad you did not have a reactuib,

      Delete
  8. I had a little reaction to the second Moderna but it was well worth it IO- 30 hours after receiving I had chills and a slight fever. My arm was never sore though. I'm still being cautious and have decided to opt put of Easter at my daughter's. She had invited her inlaws (both vaccinated) and now it looks like them, the 2 families of 4 (4 parents, 4 school aged kids)who are not vaccinated, and one sisterinlaw's parents(vaccinated) are coming. No thanks- I counted 12 people and that is out of my comfort zone. I have to tell daughter today and she will probably be mad but you know, I have to do what is comfortable for me. So now I'm thinking abut what I want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      It is good you did not have a worse reaction. i think you are making a wise decision in staying home. The center slice ham is easy, and if I had not been in the store would not have gone out for it. I intend to wear a mask for quite a while and not eat in restaurants. So, I understand!!!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad your vaccination was a go! I hope the bandaid reaction was the worst of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Thanks. It is a relief. I know better than to allow a bandaid to stay on for very long.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...