Friday, May 14, 2021

Tasty Dish and Wasted Bananas

 When looking into my cans of food, I found a can of Campbell's Broccoli soup and it inspired me. I had a huge head of broccoli that was still a beautiful green and I did not want it to turn yellow. I had cooked lots of chicken the night before--skinless legs, bs chicken breasts, and half a package of tenders. We had that on Wednesday night with vegetables I forgot now. 

Do you remember when I bought a tall jar of Poultry Seasoning for $0.33? I used the spice blend on most of the chicken, just what I put in the oven. Tommy loved it. It was okay but not what I ever want my turkey to taste like. I only use sage on the turkey or chicken intended for Thanksgiving. 

On Thursday night, I put the tenders into a pot of water to boil. I trimmed and washed almost the whole head of broccoli. I layered the chicken first in a small casserole, put broccoli on top, Then, I poured the can of soup and half a can of water over the top. I meant to stir in a tiny jar of pimiento, but forgot. I used 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice on top of the chicken and another half cup of water. So, I decided when it was done and I had put grated cheese on it to cook uncovered, I would put grape tomatoes on top and bake it as the cheese melted. Then, I forgot the tomatoes. 

However, tomatoes are good raw when I forgot. This was delicious! So, it was an easy dinner. I only used enough rice for one serving since neither of us needs rice. This was a small dish in the oven, so it was eaten in one meal. No leftovers.

Use your own measurements for ingredients. My casserole dish had a solid layer if chicken and a solid layer of broccoli. 

Chicken

broccoli

rice

soup of any kind

water

grated cheddar cheese

I used no salt or other seasoning since the soup and cheese were salty enough.

Pimiento or grape tomatoes--I forgot both. 

I think I baked it about an hour, maybe less. Remember, the chicken was cooked before it went into the oven. 

This casserole was by no means original, just what I did with what was here.

Friday night, we are having carrots, potatoes, and cabbage with meatballs.  There will be enough left for several meals, thankfully.

Saturday, I have plans for several chores, so I will make us a chicken sandwich to take with us in order not to get a burger or whatever. 

I have so many bananas frozen that I refuse to freeze more. However, I waste bananas since I should not eat a whole one.  Tommy will not consider even a taste of banana. 

The whole side of my face hurts, so I will take another round of meds. I have no idea what is wrong with the side of my face and my ear. I am scheduled for an implant, but I won't have that done until I am free of pain. 

So, these are my thoughts on Friday night.

16 comments:

  1. Your chicken and broccoli casserole sounds delicious! I'm sorry you are having pain in the side of your face. I hope you will feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless,
      Thanks. It was. I am going to the doctor again.

      Delete
  2. You are good with making up your own recipes. I always have to have a recipe or idea to follow. Your broccoli idea sounds good. Maybe your face hurts from a tooth. I finally went to the dentist last week as I had face pain and I have to have an entire tooth removed as it is beyond repair. Actually I am surprised it isn't more painful. Also I am embarrassed for not going to the dentist for so long. I was due to go when covid hit and canceled that appointment so it has been 2 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Thanks. I just used what was here, except for the things I just forgot to put in the casserole! I had a tooth removed instead of having a root canal. I was afraid that because of the horrible pain that more was happening! I had not had my spring visit to the dentist because of covid, so I paid for the lack of immediate care. I hope your tooth gets better soon.

      Delete
  3. My son likes bananas but won't touch them if there is even one black spot on them, so I throw them as is into the freezer. My used to love banana nut bread but I'm not so keen so now I use them in smoothies. Not often but it's one way to not waste them I guess. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Oh, I eat bananas that have turned black on the outside. I picked up one of those from the table, peeled it, and the banana did not have one spot on it. I don't judge a banana by its peel.

      Delete
  4. Linda, if you have so many frozen bananas that you refuse to freeze more and you waste bananas because you should not eat a whole one and Tommy will not consider even a taste of banana, my first question is why do you keep buying bananas? As far as not eating a whole one, couldn't you cut the bananas in half before you freeze them and put each half into a separate small clear-plastic freezer bags individually? Then when you wanted one you wouldn't have to defrost a whole banana and throw half of it away.

    Your creative kitchen consultant,
    rhymeswithplague

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Bananas frozen in the skin still take up room. Bananas frozen in the skin are disgusting and slimy. I do not want smoothies for breakfast at all right now. Sometimes, I eat bananas that have many spots and are already going bad, so not going to freeze of save half a banana that might already going bad. I have just learned to live with the loss, especially since I buy them so cheaply.

      Delete
  5. Okay that casserole sounds delicious! Just goes to show you can make a really meal with what you have around the house if you get creative enough.. Hmm, are they sure you don't have an infection somewhere in the gum line or bone they are missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn,
      The broccoli was too good looking to take a chance on keeping it one more day. Yes, I m still trying to figure out what is going on with my left side of my face! That is what I have been expecting.

      Delete
  6. Sounds tasty. You could make nice cream-blend bananas with milk and freeze. It is really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't touch bananas either; they make me a tad seasick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Urspo,
    People who will not eat bananas are my favorite kind of people since they will never eat all my bananas, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your casserole sounds tasty :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...