Saturday, May 15, 2021

Exercise Surprise

 I only did one minute of my "marching" exercise on Wednesday because I felt so horrible. Then, on Thursday, I struggled to get to the one minute mark. On Friday, I felt no sick, just weak and continued to five minutes of exercising. 5 minutes! 

When I finished, I asked Tommy if he was surprised because I was surprised. He said he thought I was only going for 30 seconds more, to 2.5 minutes. 

This still does not improve the ability to walk, just my stamina. I may get a cortisone shot in my spine. That will only stop the pain. I doubt it will help my ability to walk. 

Other exercises were sent to me by a blogger friend. Now that I am feeling better, I will start those tomorrow. These new exercises are easier than the marching, I think. They are mild, just what I need. 

Working my way up is just what I need right now. In the past I have known what I could do and quit several exercise programs because the person in charge wanted me to push past what was possible. Once, I stayed in bed, literally, for a week because I tried to please a woman who was sure I could do more. I know me! Tommy never encouraged to exercise one more step!!! Just now, I asked him why he did not want me to try more. He said he figured I had reached my limit. Good! He times me any time I ask, day or night, no matter what he is reading or watching on TV. I never ask him when he is not sitting in his recliner. 

To progress from 30 seconds to 5 minutes is something I am amazed at right now. I know I must do better and come back from the body condition I have right now. 

Has anyone ever pushed you to try harder, more, or longer and ruined your exercise?

16 comments:

  1. good for you for trying; persevere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks. I must. It is a matter of life and death.

      Delete
  2. I suggest you got to a physical therapist. Physical therapy has done wonders for me.....strengthening and stamina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      I was referred to a pt last year, but with covid, it was not high on my list of priorities.

      Delete
  3. The physical therapist that came to my home immediately after my first knee and second knee surgeries was very good. She was excellent with the first knee , but the second knee had a problem where my flesh had healed to two of the suture knots, and when she pushed my swollen knee to achieve more range of motion, my leg swelled badly and the suture knot spots split open with the swelling each time she returned. When I went back to the surgeon he said don't do those exercises anymore until we can get these wounds healed. They developed an infection and finally healed after two rounds of antibiotic. I have a fairly high pain tolerance threshold. I now know that when tears started running out of my eyes from the pain, we were pushing it too much. I don't believe she fully realized what was going on with the wound problems.

    I went to a freestanding physical therapy center and wasn't very impressed with the therapist there. I only went a few times.

    It sounds like you are progressing really well with your exercises that you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I just now remembered a pt wo pushed me too hard because he was convinced I was malingering.

      I am glad your torture ended. yes, tears are a good indicator! Too bad about the infection.

      Delete
  4. Pushing is not bad but tears and blaring pain are not. I agree though that people trained to understand physical therapy should be consulted. You may do the friends exercises in ways that harm your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I have been referred to a pt at my request. I did not go because of covid. The exercise I do is harder to do than any given me by a friend. I know my body.

      Delete
  5. Great job on working to maintain your stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are doing well with your exercises.
    It is always important to do the best we can to take care of ourselves.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I am trying to take care of myself as best I can.

      Delete
  8. I have over done many times and regretted it.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...