Monday, August 16, 2021

The Kind is Dead: August 16, 1977

 


Showing posts sorted by relevance for query elvisSort by date Show all posts

Saturday, August 16, 2014

The King is Dead: August 16, 1977

 
 
Elvis Aaron Presley
 
We all loved Elvis, except for my father. One day, I asked Daddy if he liked this song as "Love Me Tender" was playing on the radio. Daddy agreed it was pretty good, that guy could sing. Of course, he was disgusted it was Elvis he had complimented.
 
A girl at the college I attended told us she partied with Elvis and asked me if I wanted to go. I knew I would have been in over my head, but said I wanted to go. Of course, she never asked me to go with her.
 
When I was married, we lived just south of Graceland. One day in 1968, while I was working my part-time job at TG&Y, just  mile from Graceland, someone said Elvis was on a horse in his front yard, playing Christmas songs and singing. I almost told the manager I would be back in a little while
 
While we lived in that location, my NY bil came to visit. For all the times I passed Graceland, it was commonplace. The bil just annoyed me to no end as we had to stop at Graceland every time we passed by. I had never, ever stopped in front of the house and certainly would never have gotten out and gawked. This was Elvis' home.
 
When L was five-years-old, she announced earnestly that she was going to marry Elvis when she grew up. She was so convinced that it would happen and wanted me to agree. Finally, I told her that when she grew up that Elvis would be as old as Pepaw, my father. She cried and grieved all night about that fact. The child was so sad for a week that I wished I had left off the last detail. She would have forgotten her desire eventually.
 
When I heard Elvis had died, August 16, 1977, we lived here. I was pulling into the parking lot of the city pool to pick up my children just as the news broke. My best friend arrived at the identical time. As we both emerged from our cars with babies in our arms, I told her Elvis had died. She laughed nervously and said I was teasing. Then, she looked fearful as I told her it was true. Tears came to our eyes. The babies wondered why we were crying. Both my older children cried. L was seven-years-old by then. The boy, J, was nine-years old. My husband was puzzled at all the tears. But, we cried most of the evening. The baby, almost two, cried out of concern and sympathy.
 
My youngest sister living in Memphis took the middle sister's daughter, also seven,  and they stood for six hours at Graceland to view the body. A few years later, we went on the Graceland tour. Somewhere, I have pictures of my children at the graves of Elvis and his mother.
 
I had my sister buy four copies of the Memphis Press Scimitar (or Commercial Appeal) for the three children and me. If I had thought of it sooner, I would have gotten it out and would have taken a picture of it. I always wanted to attend one of his concerts, but that was not to be.
 
No, I don't think any less of the man for his foibles or faults. He only wanted to sing and had many people shoving him in the direction that benefited them instead of him.
 
My son was born in April 1968, and Lisa Marie Presley was born earlier that year, supposedly delivered by someone in the same group of ob/gyns that delivered my son. I just checked that fact. Yes, they were in the same office.
 
Tales of his generosity abound in Memphis. One day, he passed a couple on the side of the road. Apparently, their old car broke down. He took them to a dealership and bought them a new car.
 
I loved Heartbreak Hotel, Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock, In the Ghetto, Suspicious Minds, and so many others.
 
Your turn
 
Did you like Elvis? All his songs are my favorites? What are your favorites? Any special memories? Did you see him in concert?


26 comments:

  1. I never saw him in concert.
    My favorite songs are "A Little Less Conversation" and "Can't Help Falling
    In Love With You"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I was always pregnant, it seems, when he was close enough to go to a concert. Those are two great songs.

      Delete
  2. I remember my husband and I coming home from somewhere and pulling into our driveway and as we walked into the house the young girl across the street was just kind of meandering around in her family's yard. I said Hi to her and asked how she was doing, and when she came closer I could see that she was kind of sad acting. She asked us if we had heard that Elvis had died, we hadn't. She said that her Mama was in their house crying and they were so sad he had passed away. She is a grown woman with grown kids now.

    I always liked Love me Tender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      My daughter and I cried together. It was a sad occasion. Many people are still touched. Did you cry?

      Delete
  3. While not a fan like the most devout, I do like EP very much. I love his Xmas Album, and almost all his other songs!

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      There are so many fans, devoted and fans of the music. His Christmas albums are not to be missed. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I also have a “six degrees of separation” from Elvis but it’s not our ob/gym! A personal friend here in our church seniors group for many years was Hugh Jarrett who was the bass singer in the original Jordanaires, Elvis’s backup singers. On the old black-and-white film clips Elvis’s first appearance on Ed Sullivan’s TV show where the backup guys wore plaid coats, Hugh is the tall one on the right.

    I like Return To Sender, Blue Suede Shoes, Heartbreak Hotel, Blue Christmas— there are so many. Love Me Tender is a beautiful song because it is actually the old song “Aura Lee• that goes back to Civil War days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I suppose you heard many stories. Daddy did like Love Me Tender.

      Delete
  5. So pleased his music lives on ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother listened exclusively to her Glen Campbell record collection so I never really heard much Elvis growing up. He was pretty much before my time, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Glen Campbell was great, but Elvis was before him. Elvis, in my opinion, is timeless. Well, Glen Campbell, too.

      Delete
  7. When I was 10 I learned my neighbor’s mom went to school with Elvis in Tupelo, MS. I saw her junior high yearbook and he was in it. He even signed it! I’ve been an Elvis fan all my life, and loved all his movies, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catrina,
      Oh, wow! That is interesting. I am quite sure his yearbooks are valuable now.

      Delete
  8. Elvis died when I was six and I wasn't really aware of him but I became a little obsessed when there was a lot of media coverage around the tenth anniversary of his death.
    I still like his music but an African American friend of mine said Elvis was promoted to the detriment of better black musicians so that took a little of the gloss off for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      There was no conspiracy to promote Elvis above black musicians. If anything, black musicians were more popular because he broke through to whites with black inspired music. Trust me, black musicians were not hurt by Elvis.

      Delete
  9. I was 13 when Elvis died. I do remember watching some of his movies when I was younger. I was never a huge fan of him or his music. I guess I could take it or leave it. Though I think when I got older and read more about him, I became less of a fan. Who marries a 14 year old?? Just wrong to me. It is sad that he couldn't take control of his own life and let others take over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Priscilla was twenty-one when she married Elvis. He met her when she was 14 in Germany.

      Delete
  10. My Mother loved Elvis and Dad was annoyed that Mom was crying over his death. He was halfway in the crawl space replacing our utility room floor. I was ten years old and will never forget where I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I imagine lots of people, male and female, cried. My husband was bewildered when he came home and the three children and I were crying.

      Delete
  11. I wasn't a great Elvis fan, but only because I was a little too young (same for the Beatles), but I do think to a certain extent he was hounded to death like a performing chimp! Sad really, a victim of his own talent and fame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      You are so right about his talent and fame.

      Delete
  12. I was 11 and staying at my sister's three states away helping her with her kids. She had just been relocated there. It was a hot hot day when we heard the news Elvis had died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Did any of you cry? It was very hot here, too. It was a sad day. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. My husband's brother and wife were visiting us from Virginia. We planned a trip up to Los Angeles to go on the Universal Studios tour. My girlfriend kept my children that day, here in San Diego. While we were on the tram tour the narrator announced that Elvis had died. The friend who I had left the children with was the biggest Elvis fan that I had ever known. We cut our visit a little short to relieve her of her childcare duties.

    This friend used to work at the concert venue each time he toured San Diego just to be sure to see Elvis.

    I was not a fan of Elvis. He was just slightly before my time. In Junior High I had a mad crush on George Harrison of the Beatles. I did cry when I learned of his death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      That is an interesting story. I suppose the sitter was happy to be relieved. I was sad when George Harrison died, but I did not cry.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...