Wednesday, September 8, 2021

This and That

Remember I overbought Miracle Whip. Then, I announced I had eaten all the old MW? Well, I just now found the "new" MW, which of course is out of date. In the meantime, I was given five 8 ounce jars of MW. You know it--They are out of date, too. So, now I have to finish the little out-of-date jars and the two huge jars, out-of-date almost a quart in each jar. sigh...will I ever have fresh Miracle Whip again. I was looking for some that was on sale this week. Thankfully, I did not find any! 

When I say I "found" the MW, it was not lost at all. However, I do keep jars of food in the dark. And, I keep all my food in the cool kitchen and back bedroom. So, it was out of sight, not really lost or found. 

I knew that one of the feeders was out of nectar. I finally got it in because the others were obviously full. When I got it in Tuesday night, the clear bottle had lots of mold, so I assume the bottom that is sealed has plenty. I soaked all the parts in Dawn and Clorox. Today, I opened a new, free toothbrush and used it to get rid of the mold I could see. Tommy took the new, filled feeder out and brought the other two inside. I need to clean and fill those tonight. We did have lots of hummers, but they have diminished in number today. Next year, I will be more picky with hummingbird feeders. I think the first one that I bought 40 years ago spoiled me as to what to look for. I thought all were good feeders. 

There is not a tall shepherd's hook to be found. I had a really short one that we were going to use. Tommy put it in the ground and I carried out the feeder. Well, I could not see the feeder sitting on the couch, so he thought sticking it in a large pot would raise it enough. It did not, he said. So, he put another pot of used dirt under the first one. Then, he put a third pot under the first two. That worked and looks nice. Now, they need flowers in the pots of dirt. 

I love August and September for the butterflies about. There are pretty yellow butterflies that mingle with the hummingbirds. These butterflies can fly as fast as the hummers. I wonder what they think of each other.  I am a watcher of Lepidoptera. 

Today, I wanted a Sonic footlong chili cheese dog. We ate at the park. For dinner, I am cooking sweet potatoes and cabbage. These are sweet potatoes I bought in September or October of 2020. That should work for dinner. Tommy had a BLT. 

In the refrigerator I have a package of 93/7 ground beef. I will this evening make it into chili sauce so I don't have to buy it in the grocery store. This should be so much cheaper and probably better. Since I do not eat chili in beans, this will be tasty. I will freeze it in meal portions, about 1/2 cup. I may freeze a bit of cheese with the sauce. Neither of us want much sauce on our hotdogs. It is not like we have chili with hotdogs in it. I just want the hotdog, sauce, and cheese, maybe a bun.

Before the evening is over, I am going to sort one box of patterns that are here. Tommy brought some of my things here years ago. These are patterns I have had since the 1960s. Well, maybe not in the one box I will sort this evening. But, they are here.

Do you have old patterns that you sewed over 60 years ago, or any old patterns?  Do you have flowers that attract butterflies?

6 comments:

  1. There are worse things than being a watcher of Lepidoptera.

    The only thing better than a chili cheese dog is one that also has onions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you did a very good job of cleaning the hummingbird feeder. It is so satisfying to clean something really well like that.

    Do you like Miracle Whip in salads like macaroni salad? Maybe that is one way you can use it up. I really like Chic Fil A carrot raisin salad and it calls for mayonnaise too. I hope you find lots of ways to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I still cannot clean the part that holds the nectar! But, I tried hard...lol. Yes, doing a really good job is rewarding.

      I like MW in Macaroni salads. However, I try not to eat too much macaroni. I will probably just eat it up unless it changes taste. I wish chic fil a were still selling carrot salad. I loved that stuff.

      Delete
  3. You got me at BLT
    I haven't had one in years; they are scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...