Thursday, October 21, 2021

Dental Implants and Cardinals and Chow Chow

 I received a letter from my dental insurance and did not open it. I called to see if my insurance was still in effect or to find out what the bad news could be. The letter was at home and I was in the car. So, it appears for an extra $3/month, I have partial coverage for dental implants. Well, I said "yes" to that deal.  I need this. There are other added benefits, too. 

Wednesday night, after coming home from Cullman, Tommy had the extra soup for his dinner. I took a late nap and had the salad and something else. I was just too exhausted to even think about cooking. 

As soon as I publish this post, I will be finding a place to get blood drawn. I need a place that will give me a pain shot or a place with the vein finder or a magician. 

There is a list a mile long of places I need to call, things to return, and things to purchase. I am now making cardinals. Of course, the pattern is mine and I paid someone to cut them out. I glue, attach an eye screw, spray them, and they are ready to hang in a tree. Yes, I "made" them. I just need red paint for these. I plan to sell them.

I have already made 1 blackbird and 10 blue birds and 10 cardinals. That makes 21 birds, so far. Well, they are all cut, but in various stages of assembly. 

So far, this October I have been able to avoid being ill. It will be only the second time in twenty years that I have not had to take multiple rounds of antibiotics and spend days in bed during October. I even failed a class the first year of being ill all October. So, I am pleased, very proud of the state of my health so far this October. 

I put my foot down about unloading the dishwasher soon after they are washed. Since then, the sink is always clean as I put the dishes into the dishwasher immediately, the way I did it forever until the dishwasher broke. There is a "rinse and hold" function which I will use this afternoon and then load dinner dishes and run it tonight or tomorrow morning. I am very pleased with not having dishes in both sides of the sink, on counters, and on stove. 

The Pig had free Wickles Pickles or relish with $10 purchase, which was easy enough to do this last week. I got the relish instead for Tommy. 

I am in the mood for Chow Chow and a pot of blackeyed peas. I may not make them a month or so, but I have the urge. How about you? Do you ever make chow chow? I might try that. 


16 comments:

  1. I have made chow chow once, but we don't use it enough for me to go to that much trouble again when I can buy it by the jar for the occasional time we want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I don't intend to make much as I cannot eat much with my allergies. I may change my mind about making it.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember ever making or eating Chow Chow, but I know my country Grandma. I remember seeing it on the table and I remember going down in Grandma's root cellar with my Mom and Grandma and seeing jars that Grandma had made on the shelf. I would never eat it. I was little, I may have thought it had to do with dog chow of some kind. I do know a lot of people just rave abouut how good it is, I know they did abot Grandma's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That is funny about your mistake. My kids had thoughts like that, too, about different things. My mother never made it, either.

      Delete
  3. I'm clueless want Chow-chow is, so never made since I've never heard of it. Different regional foods interest me. I'd have picked pickles- I love pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pickled relish with vegetables like corn and cabbage. It is delicious with cornbread and blackeyed peas.

      Delete
    2. Sounds pretty tasty. Reminds me a bit maybe between relish and sour kraut, perhaps?

      Delete
    3. SAM,
      It could be...lol. There is not that much cabbage or sourness.

      Delete
  4. I had to google chow chow as I've never heard of it (foreigner here). It sounds a lot like atchar, which I love. Back home, we'd just buy a jar at any grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms goose,
      It is best homemade. You would probably love chow chow, but there are many different versions.

      Delete
  5. I've not made Chow-chow, but it can be full of great ingredients.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have eaten Chow Chow but never made it. A clean kitchen and no dishes in the sink - I love it. I hate getting up in the morning to a dirty sink full of dishes. That and laundry. I like it done up as much as possible. No waiting for once a week and doing multiple loads. I also have a trick for me and put the clean clothes on my made up bed. I hang up the hang up clothes right away but every time I head to the restroom or the back of the house I fold everything in one category like socks, dish clothes, towels, etc.... and put them away right then. Keeps me on track and by the end of the day no clothes on the bed. I would love to see your birds. It's so fun to have a project to work on that you want to do. Take care and have an amazing week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I think Tommy even likes the kitchen clean. Folding clothes is my tv activity. But, I like your doing everything in one category. I might try that.

      Delete
    2. I fold my clothes by category too. I clear the coffee table & fold on it while I watch TV.

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      It works for me, too. I used to feel guilty about watching tv. So, I made sure I was working. I pulled out all the bath towels and folded them first. That way, it seemed as though I had folded half the clothes.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...