Thursday, November 25, 2021

This Thanksgiving Week

 Tuesday, I went to my new family doctor to see if I had diabetic neuropathy in my feet. He was looking in his cabinets and drawers, telling me had a device to detect neuropathy. He said it was super duper and the latest technology. As he went on and on, I suspected he was teasing me. "I hope it is not a big pin." "No, this is modern technology, nothing like that." He had to ask someone to bring it to him. 

He unwrapped a cardboard about 1"x2" with something sticking out of it. He explained it was fishing line. He took my shoes off and poked me with the line on about a dozen places on each foot and declared I had no neuropathy. Whew! 

Then, I went for the urine donation, the one I have given twice but has not been tested! That was an ordeal because the restroom was so tiny, I dropped the hat into the commode and was told it was okay. Now, why do they have a person clean themselves if it does not matter if the test is contaminated by commode water? Anyway, it is done. 

I woke at 5 am on Tuesday morning with only 4 hours sleep, if that. I have been irritated by my lack of a haircut, so I cut my hair! I only cut top and sides and shaped the sides toward the back. When I was pushed through the door of the doctor's office, the woman behind the desk exclaimed loudly, "You got a haircut." "Yes, I cut it at 5 o'clock this morning." She went on to rave about how good it looked. I must have looked awful the visit before.

When two weeks ago I went in with the uti, I got up and got dressed, went with dirty hair, and barely combed. I must have been a mess. This Tuesday must have been a great improvement. 

The doctor commented Tuesday that I was much more chipper than when he saw me last time. Well, I was pretty ill the last time I saw him. 

Since I was gone for about four hours on Tuesday, I only boiled eggs. Gravy and deviled eggs were on the agenda, but will wait until tomorrow. I had to hang two loads of laundry and take a nap. 

Wednesday is baking day. I will make two pumpkin or sweet potato pies. Maybe I will make sweet potato or pumpkin bread. So, I need to make gravy on Wednesday, make one egg into a deviled egg for me, and chop the rest of the eggs. On Thanksgiving, I will make mashed potatoes. Things are coming along. Tuesday, we had a baked potato, salad and chicken. I had sour cream on my potato. I have two sweet potato pies in the oven. 

Thanksgiving--The deviled egg is done. The other eggs for the gravy are chopped. Tommy peeled the potatoes while I made green bean casserole and made up two boxes of Stovetop Stuffing, one turkey and the other sage, mixed together. I was so exhausted and sleep deprived, I went to bed for a nap. I left the potatoes gently simmering and told him in 30 minutes to take out a big chunk of potatoes and if it was soft, to turn off the stove and put the top on the pot. All went well as I napped. 

We ate well--turkey, dressing, two kinds of cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes. I had deviled eggs, and sweet potato pie. And, there are leftovers. I decided to make the sweet potato casserole next week. Plus, my Jello salad will wait, too. It was a feast! Nothing went wrong except for that I was exhausted! 

This was the best fresh cranberry sauce I have ever made and I made it the same as before, 1/2 the called for sugar, and boil it to death. When we dipped into it, the sauce had gelled. Surprise!

How did things go with you during Thanksgiving Day? A catastrophe? Funny? Sweet? Cute? 

16 comments:

  1. Our Thanksgiving Day did not include turkey! It did not thaw in time despite bathing in chilled water (40 degrees or less! for safety!) in a cooler for DAYS.
    So we had brunch instead. Blueberry French toast casserole with maple syrup, scrambled eggs, and bacon. It was all delicious and we were thankful.
    When that damn turkey is ready, I will make a Thanksgiving meal. Mostly so I can eat loads of my cranberry chutney. I did not put them on my scrambled eggs today, which was probably a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That is so frustrating! I finished thawing a small turkey last week by putting it in water in the sink. It weighed only nine pounds and had been in the refrigerator for almost a week!

      However, your meal sounds delicious. How do you make Blueberry French toast? I think I might try to make chutney some day, except the chopping sounds too much. Hey, I forgot I have Tommy to do that.

      Delete
    2. Linda, I emailed the recipes for your perusal/amusement.

      So I got up bright and early today, poked the turkey for the millionth time and it was soft. OF COURSE. That dumb bird. Nothing to do but roast it.
      My husband was making his once-a-year 50lb pan (okay, I exaggerate, but not much) of lasagna. So we had to share the kitchen and the oven. I dusted off my Nesco roaster to roast that 20.2 lb bird and gave him oven rights.

      Do Nescos generally cook food faster than a regular oven? Because it cooked that bird in 3 hours--and it was supposed to take 4.5-5 hours. WHOA. I even checked with a meat thermometer!

      DS was sad about no turkey yesterday so I also made a pan of stuffing and gravy using turkey stock I froze last year. He was super happy & said it was delish.

      Hubs and I had lasagna and beer. Dang, it was good! Yes, Linda, he is gonna kill me with carbs, LOL. I haven't had a beer in ages, and I chugged that Oktoberfest like I was back in college at a frat party. Never did a keg stand, mind you, (hey! I was a LADY!) but I could shotgun like a pro. HAH!!!

      I spent a good part of the evening cleaning up and happily reminiscing about my party days. I guess beer will do that for you...

      Hope you had a nice post-Thanksgiving day!

      Delete
    3. I will look at the recipes. thanks. Well, it was about time that turkey thawed. I have no knowledge of a Nesco. But, the lasagna sounds delicious right now. I don't drink beer, but I will take your word for it. It is a chore to clean up after turkey! I am glad you had happy memories. Friday was nice, nothing exciting.

      Delete
  2. I am glad everthing went well at the doctor. I will say that between the two you made a great feast. I love deviled eggs so would have fixed a couple of more to enjoy just for a snack. I went with a small steak, lobster tail, green beans and rolls since it was just me. Made cake for dessert. Now I have a crave for the eggs, I will make some this weekend. I am happy it was a wonderful day for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I started to make more of the boiled eggs into deviled eggs. I may do that later. Your dinner sounds delicious, too. I was successful in making the whole dinner come together. LOL...now you can make eggs.

      Delete
  3. We had a very quiet Thanksgiving Day. I had planned on making a large roasted whole chicken, white potatoes, stuffing, whole cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. My husband missed the pumpkin pie on the shopping list, so we didn't have that, and I forgot to make the stuffing and cranberry sauce. So basically we had a perfectly done, moist and delicious big roasting chicken, and white potatoes. There is plenty of chicken leftover so maybe my husband will go to the store and get a pumpkin pie for us, and I can make the dressing and cranberry sauce and have a Thanksgiving re-do tomorrow (Friday).

    I couldn't believe how I completely forgot to make the stuffing, but it makes sense. This eye surgery healing is getting on my nerves. I'm not sleeping well, I can't seem to concentrate on anything for any length of time right now. My vision is still very distorted in that eye because of the gas bubble they put in. It now looks like there is a line across my eye that moves and jiggles as my head or body moves around. I had to start wearing a black out patch which slips onto one side of of my glasses so I am not constantly seeing all of that light and movement and distortion, which affects my balance.

    Anyway, I will give a second try for a full meal tomorrow, surely I can get myself together to make the rest of our Thanksgiving meal with a second chance and just two or three easy items.

    I'm happy you and Tommy had a great meal and enjoyed your Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      With all that going on in your eye and it affecting everything in your life, I am surprised you got as much done as you did. Not getting enough sleep and wonky vision would not help me at all. That surgery may be in my future. I was forgetting things, too, all week. I actually had to make a list of what I was having in order to get it all done!

      A second chance sounds perfect. And, Thanksgiving two days in a row sounds about right.

      We certainly did enjoy the day and meal. Thank you. Now, you can enjoy for the second time.

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed you could make just one deviled egg. The ratio of yolk, mayo, and mustard would be hard to gauge on just one yolk. Your meal sounds like ours. I hope Tommy appreciate your efforts. My DH peeled all the sweet potatoes for me which was a help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      It was not hard at all to get it right. It was wonderful. Tommy does appreciate my efforts. He ate wordlessly. I have never peeled a sweet potato in my life. I always bake them first so that peeling is a snap. But, if for some reason I wanted them peeled, Tommy would get that chore.

      Delete
  5. Now that my mother is gone, I can tell the story. It's two parts...first my elderly (and forgetful) mother insisted she be the one to make the entire dinner. The last time I had Thanksgiving with my family I walked in the door in time to set the table. Mom, my sister-in-law and my son were kneeling in front of the oven. Mom claimed the oven had not been heating but it seemed to be fine now (she forgot to turn it on). We had dinner at 9:30 PM.
    Second part: I was a widow and married a great guy 7 years ago. He's a gem, his family, not so much. One Thanksgiving with his rude, bossy daughter-in-law was enough for me. The next year, I told his family I was eating with my mother and I told my mom that I was eating with them. I stayed home, read, quilted, watched Hallmark movies and even knitted. I didn't have a feast but I had peace and quiet!
    My mom passed away a year ago. This year, hubby decided he was going to stay home with me. Screwed up my entire day...
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      You are hilarious! I am still laughing after reading these stories to Tommy. "screwed up my entire day" I get it. At least you have had it under control. I had a Thanksgiving with no place to go and a friend invited me over. Because I knew there would be out-of-control drinking and all that goes with that, I opted to stay home and enjoy the day. Now, the place I went for over ten years had lots of drinking and over-drinking, but never a disagreement. And, the people walked home. So, the drinking did not bother me, just the loud, obnoxious arguments that would sure ensue. Getting out of a bad situation is best. good for you.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you were a busy bee getting ready for Thanksgiving. I’m making a turkey today so we can have it for leftovers. I have some yellow squash and zucchini that I need to use up too. Sounds like I need to get busy too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      So busy for me but in the past, I could have done all this in much less time. I am glad you will have leftovers. Maybe a zucchini and squash casserole?

      Delete
  7. We had a great, quiet Thanksgiving just the two of us at home. I'm glad you did, too.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...