Monday, May 30, 2022

Memorial Day 2022

 This is going to be a good day, a beautiful Memorial Day. The sun is shining and it will be be 90F, maybe warmer. Although I only slept 3.5 hours, I still feel great. I know that will pass and have penciled in a nap...lol. 

The pork butt is roasted and I will add bbq sauce to it and call it delicious. In a few moments, I will make slaw. Tommy can take the silk off the corn. You can see the day will be easy for us. I forgot, one egg made into two deviled eggs for me. 

Seriously, if the food is ready, isn't it a good day already?

Sunday, I made Cherry Crush. a delicious recipe from Cheryl's Frugal Corner. It is a Jello and fruit concoction. After making it and eating some, I realize that cottage cheese might work rather than the cream cheese. I used pineapple tidbits because I did not have crushed pineapple like I thought I did. I think the difference made it softer than I thought the Cherry Crush would be. But, it was definitely worth making. 

Cherry Crush ingredients:

6 oz package of cherry jello

3/4 cup boiling water

8 oz. cream cheese

can of cherry pie filling

can of crushed pineapple

Check her blog for directions. But, you can probably guess those. 

Since Tommy did not water yesterday, he watered at 7:30 this morning. The little bird nest was on the porch, so the two dead baby birds were the only two. That's sad since I enjoyed the birds. Very slowly we are moving all the plants to the corner of the ramp where the ramp turns. Nothing is on the ground but on the ramp so the mowing can be easier. This is the same place where three shepherd's hooks are located with the bird feeders. 

This is quite pretty, but the petunias are hanging where I can see them from my chair and so are three of the four hummingbird feeders. I had some flowers on the porch, but now I put them all together so Tommy won't have to drag the hose so far. He appreciates it. Imagine pulling a heavy hose and using a walker in grass! 

Friday night, as I said before, I sort of twisted my knee in the kitchen trying not to fall. Well, I could barely put weight on my knee all day Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning I woke and could bend my knee for the first time since Friday. I stood at the sink and he handed me everything I needed to stir or whatever. 

Memorial Day travel is not in our plans, not even out of the driveway. People were driving crazy on Saturday and Sunday, on the interstate and in town. We took a drive on Sunday, so that will do for us. People are very impatient! 

We do remember all who died so we can sit here and feel free from fear. We have been talking about relatives who fought in wars and came back home and some who did not. 

A nap is dragging me to bed. When I get up, I will cut Tommy's hair and we will eat. 

How is your Memorial Day? 

16 comments:

  1. They make hoses that weigh almost nothing now. They also are not prone to getting caught on things. We got one for watering on our deck and it makes all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      I have seen those. I had bought a really good hose. Then, the research project gave me another for a garden. So, since they are good and new, I have not gotten the urge to buy another. What brand did you buy or where. I would probably get one at Lowe's.

      Delete
    2. We've had it for a couple of years so I don't remember but we did get it at Lowes.

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      We did get a $35 store credit, so maybe we can get a lighter hose. Is it the hose that collapses?

      Delete
  2. I am happy to hear that you are having a good day. I also like to cook earlier in the day when I have the energy. Always good to look forward to a nice meal.

    I think it is wonderful that you and Tommy are taking time today to reflect on those that served, it is good to know that many Americans really know what this special day is all about. I have been doing the same this weekend. I think many of the younger generation don't understand what this holiday means. My family was blessed that everyone that served, returned home to us. Many families lost more than one family member. I think of all of them today and the sacrifice they made to keep our country safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      This involves cooking before the day. That way, I am not tired or fall behind and have to work harder than I can and still be able to eat.
      Even in my extended family, everyone came back. My mother was a WAC. So, I was glad to see women celebrated in a show we watched.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good day to me. Glad you liked the Cherry Crush - no recipes are etched in stone - so alterations are all cool!
    Quiet day here - it is hot and humid. I had lunch at my neighbors with his son and grandkids. That was nice. Just relaxing the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I didn't think twice when I did not find crushed pineapple! I knew it would be great.
      It is hot here, but I am indoors and ac is on. So, no problems in that area.
      That is great you had company and a great lunch. Relaxing is on the top of my list from now on since I got up from my nap. Tommy has the silks off the corn.

      Delete
  4. I went to the gym, and we went to the movies. I am making ribs in a 'new way' fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Always the gym! What movie did you see. I hope you share the "new way" you used to make ribs.

      Delete
  5. We worked in the back yard until nearly dusk, came inside, showered and then decided it was too late and we were too tired to cook. Instead we called in an order for pick up then headed to a BBQ joint to get it. Slacker way to eat BBQ but we have been working outside the entire long weekend and we are both tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is not the sign of a slacker. I think after all the hard work, you both deserved to just get pickup BBQ!

      Delete
  6. That Cherry Crush recipe looks absolutely delicious! But it is so loaded with sugar I could never eat it as given. I would use diet cherry jello, no-sugar-added cherry pie filling, and crushed pineapple in juice only. Then the pineapple & juice would be the only sugary culprits. I might also use Neufchatel cream cheese rather than full fat. Although the cottage cheese is a good idea, I wouldn't enjoy the lumpy bits; I would have to blend it smooth in my Vitamix.

    Our Memorial Day was quiet. We usually attend the local parade but did not this year because I simply wasn't up to it. I've been feeling worn to a nub since my recent trip. So I did a few easy chores and made a delicious cherry tomato side dish for our cookout of brat patties and potato salad with mustard.

    We also enjoyed a perfectly ripe honeydew melon that DH picked out. I am good at selecting ripe cantaloupe & watermelon, but figuring out if a honeydew is ripe is truly beyond my abilities. I just don't have a feel for it. Probably because I never ate it until well into adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have sugar-free Jello and the pineapple was in juice only. So, the cherries had sugar. The cream cheese had lumps because I could not use the mixer on high to get them out. The bowl was too short. I figured if Tommy can eat the lumps in the cream cheese, he can eat the lumps in small curd cottage cheese...lol.

      Your meal sounds great! I was too tired to think about a parade or festivities. I needed to save my strength for other things. Usually, in my town I find a place to park on the side of the road and just sit in my car to watch a parade. It works.

      I like watermelon and can pick a good one of those. I hate cantaloupe and can pick a good ripe one, but have no experience with honeydew. We had all of those growing up, I just only liked watermelon. The smell and feel of cantaloupe makes it easy.

      Delete
  7. PS: Your meal sounds fabulous, Linda! Wish I had thought to make corn on the cob like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      COC was 5 ears for $2. So, it just jumped at me. I needed something easy to fix.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...