Sunday, May 29, 2022

Saturday--Grilled Cheese Festival

 We love grilled cheese. So, imagine how excited we were to go to a whole festival dedicated to this ultra-greasy, carb-filled, sodium-soaked deliciousness. We pulled into the festival area, blocking traffic to parking lot area for the festival. Tommy has to get out to remove either of our walkers. I got out and held onto the car as I walked around it, and he got out holding onto the car to walk.  When the walker was ready to ride, he holds onto the car to get inside, and I head out to booths.

The first person I came to was in front of his booth. He asked me if I would like a sample of sourdough. After sitting down, I asked him about where I could get a grilled cheese sandwich. He told me it was only a grilled cheese making contest. WHAT? That is just not right. 

He said everyone was asking where to get a grilled cheese. He thought maybe they ought to sell them, too. So, I took my bread sample and ate it. I bought a loaf of sourdough bread and heard someone say something about brownies. Their brownies were dear--2 brownies for $3. But, the brownies were not skimpy and were delicious. 

Tommy was waiting for me. He had turned around in the parking lot and was waiting for me as close as he could get. I decided that I would not walk again on Saturday.

I don't remember if I said, but I injured my knee on Friday night. I sort of lurched about, trying not to fall and twisted my knee a bit. So, the knee is on bed rest. Just kidding. I am staying off my knee as much as possible for a couple of days. I walk little anyway; now for a bit I will walk less. 

Bulbs and plants I bought needed to be returned. I went to the garden center and found an employee outdoors watering plants. I finally got her attention with the help of another customer. She came toward us, looking very somber, with lines in her face, and worry written all over her, hunched a bit. I told her I needed her help, that I needed her to get customer service or a manager for me to return something. She pointed to the entrance and directed me there. 

I explained again that I could not walk. So, she asked me where were the plants, got them and came to the window where I gave her Tommy's store credit card, another store card for same store, my debit card, and my Belk's credit card, five cards in total. She took it all in and came back and wanted my driver's license. She came back and said none of the cards were used. 

She needed a driver's license. That is difficult. I have the plastic expired card and the paper new card. However, the new plastic card has been sent to me twice and I still don't have a new plastic card! I explained it all. Well, she came back with a refund on a store card. So, I am happy. The same store here refused to help me at all. I have an address in a town that has a reputation for being racist. My address works against me. Maybe you have never experienced such treatment. 

I witnessed a transformation. The employee looked worn and tired with lines in her face and a downtrodden demeanor. When she came out each time and with the refund, she had no lines in her face, a smile and a look of confidence. I just imagine she has not had many successes or a chore that involved the skills she used. Of course, I was explaining it all and was very nice to her. I feel for this 50-ish woman, working for probably minimum wage. In my heart I hope she has more successes! 

A good cheerleader is what most people need. I have always been a cheerleader for people who obviously need it or even for those whose need is not so obvious. She needed a success in the middle of dragging a water hose! 

No one would help me while sitting in the car at Auto Zone here because they did not come to cars. So, I went to Cullman about two months ago, and a guy came out to give me a refund for the battery charger that did not work. Armed with a $92 store credit, Saturday we stopped at Auto Zone and bought battery charger that is about the size of a phone and an inch thick. Plus, we purchased a device to plug into the power inside the car to air up the tires. 

A dead battery and tires that need air are a problem when a person has mobility issues. It may take the two of us, but at least we can get things done ourselves. Even if we need help, a neighbor can help us without needed another battery to jump the car. One guy on this street wheeled about a tank to houses just to help air up tires. We are not sure if he does that. We will just do it ourselves or have the tools for someone to help us easily. 

Because of a request for the products I bought, I am adding this. No urls since I have these boxes in my lap. Remember, I have not used these, but my friend has the same type in Schumacher brand. 

Duralast 800 Peak Amp Jump Starter + Power Pack. upc 26666 30176

slime Tire Inflator upc 16281 50916  No, this does not put slime in the tire. I was shocked at the name once I purchased it. I bought both of these in Auto Zone.

Of course, we bought a burger and went to the lake for a bit. It was so full of parties that I did not hold out much hope for a spot for our single car. Thankfully, we found our regular spot and it was less crowded. We can park anywhere, but this is the first place we ever parked, so we gravitate to it. 

The traffic on the interstate was horrendous with cars breaking laws, zipping in and out, nearly causing accidents. I felt fortunate to arrive home safely.

We came home tired with two devices to help us, sourdough bread, and a trip to the lake. I had the satisfaction of seeing the woman's burden's lift for a moment, anyway. I saw hope for her. I will commend her to the store and to corporate. 

I thought it was a Grilled Cheese Sandwich Festival. So did Tommy! Have you ever gone to a festival and been so mistaken?


13 comments:

  1. I bought one of those battery chargers. It was very easy to use and started my dead car without any problems. I feel so much better having it in my trunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I had to call my car insurance company for road service when the car would not start in the driveway. Then, had to get Tommy's car pulled close another time!

      A woman down the street must charge her car all the time and uses one of these. So, glad to know you like it, too.

      Delete
  2. I have one of those chargers as well - sure has come in handy a couple times.
    I would think a grilled cheese festival would have grilled cheese too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was grilled cheese sandwiches! Such a disappointment.

      Delete
  3. I love grilled cheese sandwiches! Too bad I never get any. I make them for my father when I tend to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to stand at the stove too long, so I rarely make one for me. When I make one for Tommy, I make his first. Then, I hurt so that I sit down and mine burns! Good son for making his father a grilled cheese sandwich.

      Delete
  4. Linda, can you provide the URLs for the battery charger and tire inflator that you bought? I am looking for these things and really don't know where to start--there are so many on the market and too many to choose from.

    I would be so annoyed if I could not get a grilled cheese at a grilled cheese festival! There is a restaurant with food trucks around here that sells the most amazing variesties of grilled cheese sandwiches. The owner was even on "Chopped!" and won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I put the names and UPC of the product in the body of the post. Nope, did not get the urls, but this should work. Remember, I have not used these, but I see no problems. We had an employee with good information to advise us.

      It was annoying. We were so disappointing. At the other end of the festival were some food trucks. I doubt there were grilled cheese sandwiches there. We just left with bread and brownies.

      Wow! That is so interesting. I would have to buy something from the winner.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the product names, Linda! I'm certain I'm not the only one who's interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I am so tired that I did not feel like looking anything up for anyone. But, I will find it on Amazon. There were two and one was stronger but more expensive. The guy said they use the cheaper one jumping off cars all day long where he works. So, I took him word and did as he said--get the cheaper one.

      Delete
  6. I love grilled cheese. So simple and delicious. We used to grill the bread with butter, now we use mayo instead and I like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! Hubby and I stopped at a BBQ festival in the town where I went to high school. We found out that it, also, was a competition, and there was none for sale. There was one little food truck that had funnel cakes and not much else. We were hungry and had wanted BBQ. It was underwhelming, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Alice,
      You know the feeling! "Underwhelming" is the best description. Is this the new festival?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...