Monday, May 9, 2022

Monday Mistake, Recovery, Dogs, Alabama Drama

 All weekend, I have been remembering I had a doctor's appointment on Monday at 11 am. We got up early, bathed, ate ate and were ready to go and arrived at the appointment ahead of time. I called and asked for a wheelchair and someone to wheel me up. The woman called back in five minutes, telling me that my appointment was on Thursday. OH NO! 

So, here we are, up earlier than I wanted to be awake, and nothing to do. I have been wanting to go to B&N, the bookstore. We went and I found a book. I sent a cup of Starbuck's coffee out to Tommy. As I left, I bought a piece of chocolate cheesecake, planning to share with Tommy. He did not want any. I left a bit and he ate it at home. 

I really wanted Beowulf. I cannot choose a copy from the internet. I have to read part, at least of the intro and about the translator and whose copy of Beowulf is being translated. I also wanted a translation on the left page and the new translation on the right. At least I can see the old text. It makes a difference.  Then, I purchased a book Tommy might like. I don't have it right in front of me, so I will give you that title later. It was only $10. 

Tommy went into Dollar General and bought his Pepsi. He also took my phone and debit card into Verizon to figure out why I cannot pay my bill. By the time we got home, we felt satisfied we had not wasted our day running all the way to UAB for nothing. 

We managed to accomplish lots here later. We emptied the dishwasher last night and loaded it tonight. He hand-washed some of the dishes that we hand-wash.  We used the four hamburgers for dinner along with cabbage, green beans, and Romaine. I ate a whole apple. 

Tommy watered the flowers twice today. The hummingbird feeders were washed and are ready to be filled come morning. Tommy will hang them. 

The dogs started barking at Tommy when he went out just after 8 am to water the hanging baskets. They have a new dog, too. I think that makes seven dogs. The neighbors put a trampoline up against our fence and an above ground pool along the fence behind the trampoline. In front of their fence around the back yard is a basketball goal. The kids play quietly in the pool instead of shrieking, so pool time does not bother me. They are rather quiet doing everything, but still children laughing and playing. The dogs are driving me mad. 

Okay, I must go to bed since I am about to go to sleep typing. 

I suppose the nation has heard that our escaped convict and the prison guard who helped him escaped have been caught. She killed herself. My one question has been--Why did they only manage to travel less than 300 miles in eleven days? I could have been to Mexico, Canada, or California! Could it be that they were occupied with her purchases from the adult store? 

12 comments:

  1. You certainly made the most of that "wrong" appointment, with all your errands (and all the work at home besides). You sure know how to turn lemons into lemonade!

    My blood pressure skyrockets when I think about neighbors with so many dogs. Not that it does you a darn bit of good, but you have my utmost sympathy.

    I cannot imagine what was going through that prison guard's mind. Surely she had to know that she was going to get caught. It's like she was on a suicide mission. So close to a good retirement with a government pension, and she throws it all away for a week of sex with a man who killed a woman just for the hell of it. Did she not realize he would have killed her, too--once she became a liability instead of an asset? It's just crazy. Her family must be awash in grief and bewilderment, because obviously they had no idea who she really was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I was dressed nicely, and presentable. So, I could not just come home...lol. I did feel a sense of accomplish.

      The dog situation will get worse, I fear.

      She was most likely a good person, just made a big decision and it all went wrong. This last episode should not define her life, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. 7 dogs. I can't even imagine - well yes I can except it's 5 big dogs over here next door now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      One of the big dogs sort of has a "wa WOO" sort of sound, long and mournful sounding. I have no idea what kind of dog it is. Then, they added a new yappy little dog that cannot be over 8 inches tall. They keep them all inside the house at night.

      Delete
  3. Well as tall as that guy was, he would be very hard to hide. They should have been way out of the way in that amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Not only was he tall, he was big all over. I just heard she had paid for 14 days in the motel they left that day and they had been there for six days. I could plan a better getaway.

      Delete
  4. He must have "gave her fever" like in that old song. She must have been confused and thought she found love. Instead of going to the sex toy store and spending so much time doing whatever they were doing besides escaping. They were in Lauderdale County, which I assume is in Florida , I don't know why they woudn't have tried to make their way to the coast, somehow get a boat and get themselves out of this country, or at least look for a good place to hide. She started out with a lot of money she could have gotten a boat or paid for someone to take them on a boat down to mexico or further. They probably would not have been able to stay on the loose very long, because the inmate was so tall and distinctive. Her family must be so sad that she committed suicide. She must not have seen what everybody else does when they look at that man she was so drawn to. Plus she must have know that he had murdered a woman in the past.
    I get prerecorded apointment reminders which end up garbled sounding on our answering machine, I had one the other daythat I couldn't understand the name of the doctor they said, so I ended up calling a wrong doctor t ask about the appointment, and I didn't have one with them; then I called a different doctor and yes I did have an appointment with them in one hour's time. They had called late Friday afternoon , so I was calling them on Monday morning. I ended up canceling.
    Have a good day. I hope you get plenty of rest later and wake up feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That was a deadly fever! Lauderdale County is the very northwestern county in AL and less than 300 miles from where they were found in Evansville, Indiana.
      You are correct that they had money to do almost anything they wanted to get far away.
      It should be a prerequisite that people who leave messages should speak slowly and clearly and repeat key pieces of information. Most of the people who leave messages for me need a class in how to speak clearly!

      Delete
  5. I would have had fake IDs and passports for both of us and would have headed to a country with no extradition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Exactly! Also, I would not consider a little orange/copper car a good car to disappear driving. I hope she had fun for those six nights in a motel. She could have been so far away and out of sight.

      Delete
  6. I question if the former prison guard committed suicide or not. The inmate quickly stated that she killed herself and that he did not do it. Why should we believe anything he said?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      I wondered, but I suppose these tested his and her hands for residue. Since no one has refuted his statement, I suppose it is true. But, I am shocked she would kill herself.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...