Thursday, October 13, 2022

Soup, Icemaker, ER

 The potatoes Tommy peeled and covered with water on Tuesday night, finally went into a potato soup on Wednesday. Additionally, he peeled/scraped carrots while I sliced celery about 1/8 inch thick. Then, I sliced the carrots very thin. All this went into the crockpot with potatoes in chicken broth. Finally, I added kale. It was all quite tasty. I could not locate the bay leaves to add one. Oh well. I added bacon diced small. 

After it was done, I had a sample bowl...lol. I decided to take a nap and told Tommy to eat some before it was cold. I told him to get the new bowls so he could have lots without it slopping out. He sometimes lets things overflow when he pushes it to his chair on the walker. 

When I got up from my nap, I started cooking chicken in a bag. I had three packages of chicken. One had two huge breasts. The other had two boneless, skinless thighs and two skinless legs. The third had four skinless thighs. So, there is enough meat for a while, plus, as usual, I will freeze several thighs. If I die, Tommy can eat for a month or more without having to cook meat, which he won't do. He will thaw and microwave.

As I started the meat, I commented to him something about what we were having for dinner. He said he had dinner--a huge bowl of soup. I didn't care, just thought he would taste the soup. So, it was a success in his opinion. 

Wednesday dawned rainy. I needed to go to Publix for milk, carrots, and celery. Every time we decided to go, the rain started. Finally, we went in a dry spell and it rained cats and dogs about time I got out of the car. 

We did nothing on Wednesday to speak of, just piddling things around here that needed to be done. Nothing on the list was accomplished. He did call and get a replacement credit card so I would not have to go from the store to car in the rain again to get his. 

Thursday, we went to Publix for my milk that is three half-gallons/$10. They had none and none in the back. So, I got one half-gal. whole milk. My list was left at home. I spent over an hour in the store and only bought three things. I was so disgusted. Nothing went right. 

On the way home we saw a fire truck in front of my friend's house. We stopped and she was in the car holding her stomach and crying and shaking/trembling with pain. An ambulance was on the way. I told the ambulance personnel about her concussion. So, we saw her off in the ambulance. She had a serious hernia operation on the right side, but this was on the left side. So, I worry. 

Another long-time friend died, not close. It is like a part of my past dies and the world closes a bit. I am trying to stay out of the obituaries!

After I found a countertop icemaker on Amazon, I talked to Tommy. I have enough points/credit on Amazon to get it. He asked about just using one of the freezers. That is actually the best plan. But, I shared my desire to keep the ice clean, sitting upright, and water not spilling or his hands fouling it. Later, I told him there would have to be a dedicated space for it on the little shelf or underneath. 

I think he will be serious about the ice now. Before, he was not really concerned about my desire for clean ice. He would put a package of frozen meat on top of it if left to his own devices, claiming it was wrapped and frozen. He is not concerned about anything falling into the trays, frozen or not. 

I cannot get any information on my friend except she is still in ER, four hours later. 

Tommy got his own dinner--soup, salad, and hamburger. He only had one bowl, so I wondered. He had used a slotted spoon and only had vegetable on his plate with the burger. I might have a lot of broth for me. 

Have you ever had a countertop icemaker? Have any experience? I am reading the reviews. 

We had rain last night after over 30 days of dry weather. Now, it is just a bit cooler. Late next week, there may be frost just north of here. It is early for frost. Have you had frost in your area?

14 comments:

  1. I had a counter top icemaker for a short while. While it did produce ice cubes rapidly they were small and not very hard. I found that they melted quickly. I sold it on Craig's list.

    Here is how I handle ice cubes. Several years back the icemaker in our side by refrigerator sprung a leak and did some damage to a wall. I will admit that I need to purchase a new one I am hesitant to do so until this one truly kicks the bucket. Believe it or not it is 31 years old. I think things were better made back then but I think the real reason is that I am faithful to vacuum the coils under the unit 3 or 4 times a year.

    Instead of having the unit repaired I decided to go to ice cubes. At the 99c store, I found some ice cube trays that make HUGE cubes. They are only 8 big square cubes to the tray! I stack 3 trays on top of each other a shelf out in the spare refrigerator freezer in the garage. I bring all 3 trays in and empty them into a zip lock freezer bag and store then in the inside freezer. This works well for me. (They were not designed to stack but I solved that issue by cutting a thin flexible cutting board in 1/2 and placing it between the trays.) I also didn't mention that the base of each tray is silicone. This allows you to easily push them out. I either let them set on the counter for a couple of minutes, or run the underside under warm water to make it easy to release them. Heck you and Tommy could have separate freezer bags of ice!

    You were saying that at your house the trays will not sit flat. The best thing you can do is dedicate a flat area in either of your freezers for your ice trays. Having trays at wonky angles is a mess waiting to happen. Linda if you are interested in some of these trays let me know and I will get a couple for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first ever refrigerator lasted 31 or 32 years. Yes, they did make them better back then. The next one lasted for a long time, too. But, in the dump it probably does not work anymore.

      We talked about dedicating a place and making sure nothing was ever put on the place or on top of the trays "just for a few minutes."

      He always says he does not think it will hurt anything, like if they were crooked. He is just not careful with anything, makes messes.

      The ones you got sound good to me. I do want some like that, but if you tell me where you got them, I can buy them.

      I had been wondering about larger cubes.

      Delete
    2. I have a silicone ice tray, too. It only makes 8 (huge) cubes but it's worth it for how easily I can get the cubes out

      Delete
    3. kylie,
      Cubes coming out easily is what I need.

      Delete
  2. I love the countertop ice makers, but they don’t last very long in my experience. We’ve had about six in all. If you can get one year of use out of it you are doing well. We used ours constantly if that makes a difference. I’m like you I want clean ice, so nothing sits on top of the trays in our freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks for the information. It seems that is the experience of many of the reviewers on Amazon. Tommy is of the opinion that "it don't matter." He seems to forget his grammar when contradicting me.

      Delete
  3. We had a hard frost last Saturday night. We brought all the mums into the garage to spare them. We expect our first freeze some time next week here in south central Kentucky.

    Our ice maker in the freezer was on its last legs. Only two cubes at a time and they were hollow! Both the ice maker and the water valve had to be replaced and I am so excited for ice! And I realize that most people would have replaced the whole refrigerator instead of replacing parts as it's 28 years old. But the rest works just fine. We spent $350 instead of $2,000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      We might have a frost this week, sort of early if you ask me.
      Refrigerators are sooo expensive now. My first refrigerator was $150. in 1967. It is good you will replace parts instead of springing for a new refrigerator. $2,000 will buy a lot of ice cubes.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, I do hope you get some news on your friend soon and that she is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if you had thought about a counter top ice maker - but figured Tommy would say no.
    I sure hope your friend is OK - that is very worrisome. Poor gal.
    We have had frost and will probably have our first freeze in a few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I have been thinking about one all summer. But, I had iced tea for three days in a row and now want it all the time. He didn't say anything when I said I could get it for free.

      I was just sick about her problem. Tonight, I heard it might frost Wednesday.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of a counter top ice maker. I'm sure it would use a lot of power so I'll stick with my freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      It is a little box that makes cubes or bullets. Some use less power than others.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...