Friday, October 14, 2022

This Post

 This post seems like I wrote it before, maybe in my sleep. The feeling of deja vu is so strong. I rarely have this feeling. 

This morning we got up earlier than I wanted, washed my hair, got ready and went to downtown Birmingham. We went to the drive-up lane for food from the Greek Festival. We were both eager. We were second in line. We would have been first but for a guy who was entering the wrong way. They rewarded his bad behavior by letting him in line in front of everyone. 

We ate at home because we had no desire to walk so far to the tables set up. I was disappointed because I did not get a breast. So, Tommy got my thigh and leg. 

Tommy had Souvlakia:

Marinated lamb skewered and grilled on an open fire served with rice pilaf, spanakopita, tiropita, Greek salad, and pita bread.  

I had Greek Chicken:

Greek-styled chicken at its finest baked and basted with a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano. Served with rice pilaf, spanakopita, tiropita, Greek salad and pita bread.

(straight from the menu)

Tommy did not want a sweet, but I did--chocolate bakalava. I will never eat bakalava again without chocolate chips and chocolate drizzle. 

So, this is what we ate:

spanakopita--spinach, cheese, and phyllo

tiropita--egg, cheese, phyllo

bakalava--layered pastry dessert made with chopped nuts and honey and phyllo. 

I tried to call my friend in ER last night about 2 am, thinking she might be in a room and might answer. She did not. Friday morning her car was not at her house. Then, Friday afternoon it was there. We pulled up in the driveway. The dog was out, so we knew she was there. Later in the afternoon, she answered the phone. She was on morpine during the time in ER. She has a twisted intestine, a problem she has had before. There is a blockage in her intestine. We took her some food. I forgot that, like me, she will not eat anything but the chicken breast. I took her a cooked thigh that she will give to her dog. 

She was going to come to our car to get the food, but I told her to go back. She would not. Tommy yelled at her sort of mean to go back in. She did. He cannot get up her steps without a lot of pain and risking a fall. He did put the box into the house and push it so the door closed. He is surprisingly muscular in his upper body.

So, the ER doctor said she needed surgery. Oh, her car was gone this morning and back in the afternoon because a neighbor went to the hospital and got her last night. THEN, she went to work!  I am appalled. 

Then, we drove around the block and talked to a woman who was there at her house. 

Do you like Greek food? I do not like lamb but Tommy does. I need to use their spices more. Have you ever had chocolate bakalava? 


22 comments:

  1. I’ve not had chocolate baklava before. It sounds interesting. I hope your friend will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Baklava is delicious, some better than others. However, adding chocolate was so much more delicious. Thanks. Me too.

      Delete
  2. We visit the Greek Food Festival every year. I did not think the chicken was as good as it has been in the past. We did get a breast and wing, but next year I am changing to pastichio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      We both love Greek food. I am not a fan of lamb, so that slows me down. Pastichio may be on our list next year. I found a recipe for pastichio at The Hungry Bluebird that I may try. Since I love lasagna, this may be the best dish yet. Did you see the pan for $50?

      Delete
    2. Normally I buy a pan or two for the freezer, but this year I had no room for it. Son3 is going to be very unhappy when he comes here on his next visit since I usually have it one night.

      Delete
  3. Silly girl, it was not deja vu, you have wrote about going to this Greek festival before. I have very little knowledge of greek food. Only have been to one restaurant. Was not my cup of tea, except for the bakalava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Last year's post still fresh in my mind? lol Maybe. I have never been to a Greek restaurant, just festivals.

      Delete
  4. Amazing that she went to work! She sure has a lot of oomph to do that after being in ER.
    Don't like Greek food at all - not a fan of the spices. That and Indian food are the 2 things I don't like. Other than that, I a very easy to please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      She is just desperate to work. She will collapse one of these days!
      I suppose the spices are something my body will take without a reaction so far. Indian and Thai are cuisines that I don't eat. My allergies are what stops me with food.

      Delete
    2. I adore Indian food. In fact tonight I made Indian style Okra and ate it with jasmine rice.

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      I know some people like Indian. Count me out. Okra, too...lol.

      Delete
  5. Twisted intestine is nothing to mess with. In the last 5 years of my mom's life, she had 3 emergency surgeries including being taken from my son's wedding reception by ambulance. The 4th time killed her entire small intestine was dead and she passed away. Praying for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That sounds scary. I don't think I have ever known or heard of anyone with a twisted intestine. That is horrible that she had to go in an ambulance from the wedding reception. I had no idea this could happen. It is sad she died from the twisted intestine. Thank you. I will tell her you are praying.

      Delete
  6. I have not had chocolate baklava ...oh man that sounds so good. I love Greek food but can't eat the lamb. Makes me and hubby sick everytime! Sorry about your friend getting sick and hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      Try chocolate bakalava! Lamb will never pass through my lips since the texture is gross. Sorry you both get sick.

      Delete
  7. I am sorry your friend is sick, but DANG. She sounds like her own worst enemy! But she has the right to live as she will, even though apparently she is trying to enter the grave early. It doesn't sound like she has anyone in her life to help keep her on a more even keel. And she doesn't seem to listen to her friends. Not much you can do about people like that

    I feel fairly neutral about Greek cuisine. I don't like lamb or goat in any form. Spanokopita is darn good, though. Never had tirokopita, but it sounds tasty, too.

    I adore saganaki over fresh, crusty bread. YUM. I also love a good pastitsio, and used to make a killer version years ago, with baked peeled eggplant rounds substituting for the pasta.

    Your Greek meal does sound pretty decent, and I'm glad you and Tommy enjoyed it. I've never had chocolate baklava, but now I'm longing for some. THANKS, Linda! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      The doctor told her to contact him if this happened again. Apparently exercise and a special diet is the only thing she can do. I have no idea as that is what she told me.

      So far, we both like it except for my aversion to lamb and both not liking eggplant. Try to find chocolate baklava.

      Delete
  8. PS Wait--no that was not pastitsio that I made with eggplant. That was moussaka. Gosh, I guess I like Greek food more than I realize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't eat eggplant in any language.

      Delete
    2. I can understand the aversion. I won't eat unpeeled eggplant. That peeling is just vile.

      Delete
  9. I know well the pain of a twisted bowel. I have had some luck with barium enemas, that have helped tom untwist my bowels and avoid surgical intervention. I will keep her in my thoughts.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. sassybear,
    I will keep this in mind and tell her tomorrow. So, you know the pain?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...