Sunday, December 18, 2022

Dust Be Gone

 The volunteer cleaner showed up. And, she is marvelous! We both were leery of the other. She stayed from 10 am until 2:30, the last 45 minutes with me objecting she had been here long enough. In that length of time, she did not even finish, that is how bad the place was. 

In discussing paying her, she said that her husband makes about $200K and they do not need the money at all, so no. I still had Tommy write her a check, but she put it down and said it was a Christmas gift for us. So, we tried, and she is coming back in two weeks. 

Now, the nasty outside of the commode is clean, the light bulb in the hall is changed. Now, I can see! Things that have been here for years are now gone. Tables are dusted, finally. My poinsettia in a planter is out and looks so cute next to the big fat bird chick. 

As she was dusting my red Kiss with the fairy lights, I took the remote and turned it on while she was trying to figure out what she did to turn it on. I gave her books that I got over 2 years ago from the free stacks. Many boxes are on the porch for Tommy to break down for trash or recycling. 

The place smells better with much of the dust gone. I did not realize how dusty it smelled in here. It is also bright with dust gone from wooden furniture. Maybe I will have less allergies, and Tommy will have lest sneezing and head congestion. 

We watched A Christmas Carol, 1938 version. Now, The Sound of Music is on. So, we have had two great movies. Plus, I took a nap. The day has gone quickly. 

Dinner: beef stroganoff and noodles, finished off leftovers of green beans, potato and slaw. 

17 comments:

  1. That is what I call a great day, happy you got some help with the dusting and cleaning. I know it takes a load of your shoulders!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      It was great for sure! It is a relief and I am so happy even though exhausted.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh! You're going to have a nice clean house for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Well, at least the living room and bathroom. It is exciting.

      Delete
  3. Glad she showed up and cleaned for you. It always feels nice when things are nice and clean. Nice of her to refuse the $.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      We are happy. Actually, I never thought it would all happen. Yes, the heavy dust was depressing. We wish she had taken the money.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes that kind of service gives just as much to the volunteer as it does to the recipient! That's wonderful that she cleaned for you, it must be a big relief. Do you think it will be easier for you to maintain as the big stuff gets done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. obscure,
      She did seem rather cheerful even though I could see she was tiring, unlike some volunteers and paid workers who grumble or sigh lots in disgust that they are working so hard. The best part if that Tommy is getting into the cleaning and the decluttering and organizing instead of just dropping things and tumbling them. Actually, the big stuff is all little stuff. Hopefully, she can come and get things further sorted and organized. I think she was surprised when I could not reach out and take things from her hands. Of course, I explained the rotator cuff and back problems and sprained and weak wrists, and she seemed less perplexed as to why I would not hold things out from my body.

      Delete
  5. How nice of that lady. It's always such a good feeling when something gets cleaned. I'll bet you both will feel better with less dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      We would never have gotten it done by ourselves if she took 4.5 hours! I do hope we get benefit from dust being gone.

      Delete
  6. It was interesting that she said that her husband made $200K and she didn't need the money. On the Dave Ramsey show, people who make that much money are in debt head over heels and need advice. Evidently she and her husband know how to handle their money wisely, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      I hope they do know how to manage money with a just built home and 3 children under five.

      Delete
  7. I agree with obscure; she probably felt really good after blessing you with her services and if she refused pay, then let it be. It may be her way of giving back to the world for her fortunate life. So just pass along her good deed as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she was happy about what she did, grinning from ear to ear under her mask. I am going to give that money to a 50-something woman working in BK.

      Delete
  8. PS I just blessed myself by cleaning out my cluttered back hall! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. one of my 'food' resolutions is have beef stroganoff regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...