Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Tuesday and Wednesday Favorite Meat

Decorating-- Somehow, all the tree ornaments in two tiny bins just disappeared. So, only lights. And, it was actually very pretty. Things happen. I did not get out the large Rubbermaid type bin. That left candles and the red Kiss with lights. But, I had tins! One square Moon Pie tin with a cute, Christmassy scene, a father and son in front of a red barn on a snowy hill, making a snowman. I stood it on its side next to the Christmas tree. Another cheery tin with Santa is on the bottom shelf of a table where light shows through the glass top. 

I brought out the fake poinsettia I bought for $5 at a yard sale. The basil plant in a nice white pot seemed like a touch of Christmas. These green touches were not much but cheered up the scene a bit. They made me happy. Then, there was a short, green, round Christmas tin that found a spot to beautify. 

Tuesday, Tommy went to plants stored in the utility room and trimmed them. The temps were in 40s, so a little chilly. I asked him to trim them when the weather was warmer, but he finally did it. I was shocked he had covered them in plastic. But, at least they are free of plastic now. It will be a great mystery how many of them survive this spring. There are no shrubs, not one, in front of his house, so the place looks barer than since before I started bringing plants. 

I want my pots of squash again! They were huge and lush and fed some critter well. The porch was pretty with the green. 

Tuesday Dinner: ham, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce--all leftovers. 

Wednesday:

I had an appointment I did not make due to only two hours sleep and having head and chest congestion, and coughing. So, I slept until 2 pm. The oncologist gynecologist is probably wondering why I am not coming in since I called him. 

The rest of the day was spent reading blogs, watching baby videos, and maintaining the lack of clutter, and only decluttering a bit more. But, every bit counts. Right? So, the day was not a complete loss. The movies at night have been fantastic. We saw Rear Window tonight--fantastic. I had not seen it in years. 

Tommy cut the ham from the bone while I was sleeping and has four bags of ham, not a full bag in any of them, but two to freeze, he said. 

Before I went to bed on Wednesday night, I took out a bag of turkey, one of the four bags from the two turkey breasts. Wednesday morning, it was thawed. And, tonight, we finished off the turkey breast from Christmas, and have more meat for Thursday. If I had 24 turkey breasts and roasted them all and froze them, I would have meat ready for a year. Half a turkey breast won't last a week, but mostly it will. I can dream, can't I?

Dinner: We had turkey and salad. I had an apple and half a banana later. I will never tire of turkey breast and salad.

The temperature was 61 today. I feel for those who live in such cold climates as the north of the country is now. 

You know I love turkey breast or chicken breast. What is your favorite meat to eat that you do not tire of eating? I do love beef and pork, but right now, I realize how much I love turkey and chicken breast. 

21 comments:

  1. Cold honey baked ham. This never goes out of fashion. Brother #3 has some in his fridge from Christmas; I am eating it with relish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I love honey baked ham! Next year, I will get one of those. That must be nice to go there and eat what is there for you.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are really enjoying this holiday season. Glad things are staying nice and clean. I like a lot of meats - white meat of poultry and ground beef are favorites. I would get tired of anything if I had to eat it every day. But if I were hungry - it wouldn't matter. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We intersperse the baked breast with other meats. It's just there. I doubt I would ever get tired of it.

      Delete
  3. Your decorations sound lovely as is. I am sorry that you can't find the box of ornaments, though--just because it must be so darned frustrating that they went missing!

    We usually have 2 trees, a formal one for the living room and a "kid's tree" for the family room. Only the kid's tree was set up this year, and with only lights, no ornaments. But the tree looked so pretty with just the lights, so it was fine.

    We did the best we could, given that it's been a real roller coaster of a year. Lots of ups, too many serious downs, and just plain exhausting all the way around. Like the song from the Mountain Goats says, "I am gonna make it through this year if it kills me!" Thankfully the year runs out soon. I look forward to better in 2023.

    Your meals always sound delicious to me! You and Tommy eat very well, it seems. Lots of variety. I don't plan half as well as you two!
    Johnsonville, WI brat patties! Grilled to crispy perfection, served on a Sheboygan, WI German hard roll (Brötchen) with mayo, a slice of (you guessed it--Wisconsin!) cheddar, and tons of thinly-sliced raw onions.
    I will never, ever turn down a brat patty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I know I will find them. Once they went missing, we looked a bit and went on to other things. Might as well rather than fretting.
      A tree with just lights here was refreshing and looked great. I would like two trees, but I want to put up the pink 3-foot tree along with this green 3-foot one...lol.
      Never heard of Mountain Goat song. But, it has been a roller coaster, personally and publicly.
      I have never heard of that sandwich or some of the ingredients.
      Really, I just make sure there is food cooked, and we go get it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I prefer chicken and especially like thighs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I detest thighs unless they are cooked sort of dry. The juiciness mouth feel is what I dislike.

      Delete
  5. I missed even saying Merry Christmas to you, so I am glad you had a Merry Christmas. Both of the molars I had to have pulled became infected, and the dentist's office front desk person said to just keep using the prescription mouth rinse and call in two days if they weren't bettter. I waited one day and then called my doctor and he put me on antibiotics, so finally the infection has gone away. I never had a tooth get infected after it was pulled. I don't believe those were infected before that dental surgeon cut them out. I won't be going to that guy again.
    Anyway, your Christmas sounded fun, and reading about the delicious meat that everyone is having sounds so delicious. I am only able to eat braunschweiger so far, it's a good thing that I like it or I would be going completely meatless. One tooth was taken out on each side so I have to be real careful to only eat things that I can chew without using any molars. We will be having Christmas a little late with my daughter, son in law and grand kids.
    It is great that you were able to get help to clean your home right before Christmas.
    Now it's almost time for New Year!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      That is awful about the molars becoming infected! Is the prescription mouth rinse an antibiotic? I would stay away from that guy.
      Christmas was fun. It sounds like you can only sip food...lol. Hopefully, the prohibition to not chew more solid food will lift soon and you can enjoy the Christmas meal with your family.
      She is supposed to come back New Year's Day...her idea, not mine.

      Delete
    2. It sure worked out great for you to have that lady clean your house. I don't know that I would like someone coming on New Year's Day to clean, but for free cleaning it may be worth it, just to get it done. I would have a problem trusting someone in my home cleaning unless I knew them extremely well, it's not like I have actual treasures in my house, but I have junk that I treasure. that they may think was trash, and toss it.
      Have an enjoyable day today.

      Delete
    3. Sunday is the only day her husband has off to watch the kids. It was fine with us. She was never alone to toss anything. She dusted and vacuumed and moved boxes and bags. I was there the whole time to supervise. I agree that my stuff is not valuable, but I value it.

      Delete
  6. We didn't do a lot of decorating this year and I'm not exactly sure why. I let time get away from me, I suppose.

    I have a little set of Christmas tins that I love. They're a dark cream towards a tan (think coffee stained) look, with festive designs in a muted red, almost burgundy. They store inside each other so even though there are four of them, the storage is only the size of the biggest one.

    I love steak, though I realize it's pricey. I could live every day on ground beef, and that's what I mostly eat, with sides of eggs and/or bacon. I enjoy turkey only occasionally and tire of it easily. I really like chicken wings and thighs. But eating chicken, I get hungry sooner than a good beef meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I think we were getting the place cleaned and decluttered. So, the decorating time was well spent! It still looked nice.

      Tins are nice, especially nesting ones. I used mine for Christmas storage, so they are not just empty when I store them.

      I like beef and pork, but chicken breast is best for me. My mother said I would not let meat pass through my lips until I was six years old. It turns out I am allergic to mammal products. So, no wonder. I was not being picky!

      Delete
  7. Chicken is a firm favourite in our house, it is so versatile.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. not a huge meat lover, don't hate it just don't need to eat much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gill,
      Beef can sometimes upset my system, so just steer clear most of the time.

      Delete
    2. I'm not a big meat eater either.

      Delete
  9. I get tired of anything, but realize that's a privilege. I really like turkey, but either deli sliced, or as a turkey dinner. I eat very little beef other than hamburger. I've never been a steak or roast beef person, unless it's thin sliced deli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a good roast but rarely make one. Yes, it is a privilege to be so tired one can refuse food or get something else.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...