Friday, January 13, 2023

This and That Week and Friday

 This week has been a week of telephone calls to get things settled on so many fronts, sort of "putting out fires" calls. Today was my first failure, mostly due to losing patience with the guy at the mobile company. But, one item was settled, so that makes me very happy. Tomorrow, I will finish up the one item.

I will start on a new list of "things to do." Hopefully, most things can be accomplished with a phone call and a pickup at a store. Goggles for breaking China is number one on the list. I also have a list of doctor and dental appointments that I need to schedule. 

Since I now have McAfee on my computer, I can resume business online. SAM always mentions the ms rewards. I have looked and there are a dozen sites, but I did not know which was the right site. She gave me a link, and I got back on there. Unbeknownst to me, I have something like 5065 points which will not buy any gift card. So, I have work to do. It should not be hard since I have earned 650 points this month doing nothing.

If you participate in MS Rewards, how do you use them?  

Now that I have a stapler, I have nothing to staple. Isn't that always the way? It has seemed every day I have missed having a stapler--until I got one! 

It will be very cold tonight! Mostly, I have been wearing a summer nightgown. Tonight, I expect the winter gown will be what I wear. 

Tonight, I need to declutter something, anything. Okay, I did it.

Tommy struggled to put shelf paper in a drawer. Tonight, he doesn't know it, but he will put sticky paper in another drawer. He hates this stuff I bought. 

Dog update--When the dog barked for so long, I was also treated to a car revving its loud engine. As soon as the car left, the dog stopped barking. Well, I got up during the barking and struggled to get to a window. There was no dog in the yard next door! It was the car owner's dog! So, now there are two dogs who bark for an hour apiece. 

Last night, I slept ten hours. I was surprised. I did not take a nap, surprising me again. Tomorrow will be a full, purposeful day. I wonder if he has a game he wants to watch. 

Dinner was all food from a giveaway in the past: dinosaur chicken nuggets, frozen mashed potatoes, canned green beans. We even got two half-gallons of ice cream one day. Dinner was delicious, easy, and maybe not so nutritious. 

What did you have for dinner? Do you ever just have to take a break from life and sit to make necessary phone calls to straighten things out? 

8 comments:

  1. Taking care of things is a non stop battle, there are just days I don't have the will to get started. I have been to the doctors office 4 times since the first of the year. Twice to the GP physical, bloodwork and results. Twice to an orthopedist, an appointment for my neck, and back for an MRI. Have to go for the results next week.

    I have me my deductible for the year in 2 weeks. I am not on medicare yet. I am determined to find out what has been causing these migraines for the last 10 years. I will not just continue to have treatments that do not cure the problem. I want answers, I want it fixed. If, God forbid it is just natural aging, okay. Stop pussing footing around and give me things for the pain. I know there is an opoid pain crisis in America. If a patient has a reason to be in pain they need treatment. Not no, I can't help you because the government says I can't be a doctor.

    This is not a choice, this is my true life, and I can't function anymore in this state. My blood work came back with a high A1C again so I have been put on Metformin to help. I can't exercise due to pain, I used to walk. In 18 months, I have quit smoking, had a hip replacement, so that has slowed me down a lot. I have tried to do everthing they tell me but I just keep getting worse and worse. Why is it all on me? If I could get rid of the pain, the headaches, the insomnia I would be so much better. I am doing my part, I need the doctors to theirs.

    I don't know what MS is, I have Ibotta and do surveys for extra cash and gift cards. I do not have a cell phone so many rewards programs need. The grocery stores I have an account with I can get the coupons and digital deals online before I go to the store.
    This week, in the house I have only done the basics, laundry, kitchen and floors. I just do not feel well. Everyday is a struggle. I did cook the ham I got at Aldi's on clearance, I need to break that down for the freezer. I had had ham and a couple of biscuits for dinner. The hardest part of this prediabetic thing is giving up bread products. I have an upset stomach almost every day so I eat lots or toast or saltines. So now I cuss, !#@$^&&%$$## how I am supposed to stop eating things that I can tolerate. Sorry, I know you did not want to hear all of that.

    I hope you both have a great weekend!! We just have to keep going the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, I feel like my life is all about illness. Doctors sort of want me to do things, but I don't know what. I had to quit metformin. Email me and I will tell you. You don't have to give up bread. I was told to give up fruit by fruitcakes in a diabetes group!
      I struggle every day with pain. And, migraines are not a part of aging. At one point, I hadmigraines because I ate too much cheese.
      A nurse practitioner gave me a medicine that I was not supposed to take, and she prescribed it anyway, along with another I told her I would not take. So, I don't see her anymore.
      Texas, I never feel well! I feel for you. You have been through a lot. I, too, cannot go on any longer this way.

      Delete
    2. Texas, switch to low-carb bread. Aldi's has some good very-low-carb white and wheat bread, plus slider rolls. Walmart also carries a few different varieties. You don't have to do without bread, but you've got to be smart and careful about your choices. You will be aghast to see just how many carbs are in a "normal" slice of bread.

      Studies have found there is a carb-migraine connection. Stay away from the refined carbohydrates in regular breads, crackers, pasta, white potatoes, and sugar. You will lower your blood sugar, reduce inflammation, and you may even reduce your frequency/intensity of migraines. It's certainly worth a try!

      Delete
    3. Most aren't low carb. It all depends upon the brand--you have to read labels. Aldi's sells a very low carb slider roll, like the Hawaiian brand slider rolls. They are called "Keto Friendly Dinner Rolls." It's the only low-carb (keto) one I've found so far.

      Here's a review of Aldi's low carb bread offerings:
      https://hip2keto.com/product-reviews/aldi-keto-bread/

      I made a pan of turkey & pepper jack cheese sliders with the Aldi's rolls for Friday's dinner. With pickles tucked under the top after they were heated. They were SO good!

      I would never eat such a dinner if the bread weren't low carb.

      If you like wraps, Mission brand has several varieties of low-carb wraps. La Banderita is another brand we can get here in New England that is even lower carb.

      There are so many good low-carb choices out there that you need never do without some bread in your life, even if you are pre-diabetic. Just watch your carb count and get most of your daily carbs from vegetables.

      Delete
    4. Sue,
      Thanks for all this information.

      Delete
  2. I have two calls to make next week... CA DMV and my Health Insurance Company.

    I need help on getting some items resolved before I file my taxes and some medical claims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      Those sound like important calls, just not like mine...no claims to file. My one remaining call is to mobile service! Not so important as yours, just annoying.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...